Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deleting inappropriate Supercharger recommendation from route?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came across a strange situation. I was driving from Sonoma to Morgan Hill, CA. I didn't have enough charge to make the trip in one shot, and knew I'd need to stop in Fremont, however, it kept trying to add another stop ( out of my way) in Petaluma, for 0 Minutes of charge!!!

This is when I discovered that you can only remove all suoerchargers

I had something similar happen when trying to get to the Fremont SC from north and east of Petulama. Like your account, the navigation would not just let me head to Fremont without a stop in Petaluma. Even when I was 30 miles or so east and south of Petaluma, it wanted me to turn around and head back there rather than proceed to Fremont. In my case, because my SOC was going to be around 10% to get to Fremont, that seems to fit FlasherZ's description of how the system is designed to work, even if it might be extremely annoying and counter-productive.

How can this basic feature still not exist, almost 1.5 years later?
Because Elon doesn't think fixing it will sell more cars. He thinks better auto-steer (everyone has TACC) will sell more cars so that's where the resources go.

When actually driving long distance in your Tesla, a time during which you're most likely to use auto-steer, you're more or less dependent on EVTripPlanner for planning your trip. Then, with your EVTripPlanner route data printed out or transcribed in some fashion, you either use the next SC as your destination in the onboard Nav, or your actual destination if there is only one possible SC between you and your destination.

It's a conundrum. How can a car that is so advanced in so many ways, be so pathetically behind in the basics?

He has clearly made a decision to not invest in the big display which is the centerpiece of the car, other than the occasional cosmetic changes to make it look new, while not actually improving functionality. Third party apps were promised, but never enabled. The Nav and the Media Player are at least 5-10yrs behind other manufacturers. Phone integration breaks no new ground. Beyond the control/settings screens, the CID is all show, not much go.

Tesla is most likely a transition company that will disappear in 8 years after the real manufacturers finally get their act together while Tesla will have spent 8 years developing smarter solar roof tiles and a self driving car without a useful navigation system to guide it. The first companies to offer a PC word processor, spreadsheet, operating systems, hardware, web browser, search engine, etc. all faded away when the adult competition showed up. Tesla will quite likely follow the trajectory of other "first movers".

But right now it's the best car on the road and I enjoy driving mine while waiting for some competition to arrive.

Last edited:
Tesla is most likely a transition company that will disappear in 8 years after the real manufacturers finally get their act together
Thank you for making me Laugh Out Loud this Sunday morning. :D

The toughest challenge in building an EV that the masses lust after is creating a powerful, reliable drivertrain (battery/inverter/motor) that offers long range (including a carefully designed and useful nationwide fast charging network) at an affordable price.

Tesla is a decade ahead of every other company in that regard. Trivial stuff like smartphone integration, perfect route planning, third party apps, none of that stuff matters in regards to whether or not Tesla will succeed.

I agree. Tesla as an independent company will not be around in 8 years. They will likely be absorbed by someone else. Maybe the brand goes away, maybe it doesn't. Elon will likely not even be CEO of Tesla 2-3 years from now, he already said as much.

I disagree. Tesla should remain an independent company with its current leadership. There are a lot of good projects that they are currently doing or plan to do which I think require keeping Tesla's structure and leadership as it is now. Some examples: The Model 3, solar roofs (and may be micro-wind power in the future), a Tesla 100% electric truck and semi-trailer trucks.

Last Saturday I was in Paris (about 90 miles from home) with 160+ miles of rated range left. Selecting home as my destination, it routed to the Ardmore SC 135 miles away (and another 100 miles from home). After removing all charging stops, it still didn't route using the shortest way.

Similar thing has happened to me in the past. I have sufficient charge to reach supercharger A on my route. While on my way, the car thinks I'm going below 20% remaining when I arrive at A, so automatically reroutes me to A via supercharger B - a 150 mile detour. Being on unfamiliar state highways, with some heated discussion ongoing in the car, by the time I realize the reroute change, I am already 30 miles into the detour!

I course corrected of course, I arrived at A with 7% charge remaining. Unnecessary tension caused by the navigation system just because I didn't memorize the route to be able to notice the detour soon enough. Since I then I keep checking the trip few when going on long trips.

• Informative
Reactions: Boatguy
I disagree. Tesla should remain an independent company with its current leadership. There are a lot of good projects that they are currently doing or plan to do which I think require keeping Tesla's structure and leadership as it is now. Some examples: The Model 3, solar roofs (and may be micro-wind power in the future), a Tesla 100% electric truck and semi-trailer trucks.

I want this as well, I just don't think it's going to happen in the aggressive business world we live in today. If Tesla were to merge or get acquired, I'm sure Elon would be as picky as hell about who it was.

It's a pain that you can't easily edit SC stops. Sometimes on a trip I'll decide I want to eat lunch at the next stop. Which means I'll peruse the stops and see what the eating options are, AND, lots of times I'll actually prefer a 150 kwh charger so Elon doesn't start texting me after 15 minutes. I can always find a good option and insert it obviously, but I can't get rid of any other stops that inclusion made redundant. And as best as I can tell, it won't do a fresh recalculation based on the new insertion.

I don't understand why he won't simply put an X next to supercharger stops so you can just knock them out.

Reactions: pilotSteve
It's a pain that you can't easily edit SC stops. Sometimes on a trip I'll decide I want to eat lunch at the next stop. Which means I'll peruse the stops and see what the eating options are, AND, lots of times I'll actually prefer a 150 kwh charger so Elon doesn't start texting me after 15 minutes. I can always find a good option and insert it obviously, but I can't get rid of any other stops that inclusion made redundant. And as best as I can tell, it won't do a fresh recalculation based on the new insertion.

I don't understand why he won't simply put an X next to supercharger stops so you can just knock them out.
I just put a n the next SC I want to charge at. Never seen any value in entering the entire route.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve