Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deleting old navigation addresses to speed up touchscreen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WSE51

Supporting Member
Aug 24, 2012
Park City, Utah
My 2017 Model X had the touchscreen go black while driving twice, and they did not replace the MCU. They cleared the memory and said I should report any further trouble.

After a month, it happened again. Scary to have screen go black when on highway at 75 mph and needing it for navigation. Engineering is currently looking at it.

In the meantime, they suggested that I manually delete all the old navigation addresses, as that (service rep claimed) can speed up touchscreen.

Sounds like voodoo to me; if this was really an issue you'd think they would have auto-deleted old addresses. It took me 30 minutes to manually delete each one.

Has anyone out there been told this? Did it work for you?

Last edited:
Clearing navigation history on MCU1 does work. As does changing the tiles from aerial to map view. As does running the Sketchpad app. Then finally soft restarting the MCU. After that web browser will resume working, the owner's manual download, and the interface will feel so much smoother. For a while.

My own theory is that the eMMC capacity diminishes over time and the memory available to MCU1 isn't sufficient to run the latest software version. Consequently when RAM runs out the OS switches to using eMMC for overflow and as that's fragmented and also low on capacity things grind to a halt.

My 2017 Model X had the touchscreen go black while driving twice, and they did not replace the MCU. They cleared the memory and said I should report any further trouble.

After a month, it happened again. Scary to have screen go black when on highway at 75 mph and needing it for navigation. Engineering is currently looking at it.

In the meantime, they suggested that I manually delete all the old navigation addresses, as that (service rep claimed) can speed up touchscreen.

Sounds like voodoo to me; if this was really an issue you'd think they would have auto-deleted old addresses. It took me 30 minutes to manually delete each one.

Has anyone out there been told this? Did it work for you?
Also delete trip counters. Apparently these store a lot of detail on trips which takes up memory similar to the navigation addresses.
I've done both trip and navigation clearing. Never had any problems.

Reactions: VikH
Tesla engineering states my eMMC is performing fine, no new MCU. They claim my screen went black due to a "known characteristic of a prior firmware release" but since I just updated, I should be fine.

They confirmed that deleting addresses helps, and said they did not want to auto-delete customers' addresses. However newer firmware will proactively warn you if you are running short of memory

Reactions: RedXowner
Glad to hear Tesla is addressing the issue with a firmware update. Hoping the "warning" will give users the exact remedy needed: "delete exactly these things so MCU will operate normally/correctly." I don't like the idea of having to guess what to delete and how many deletes to make. Paying attention to this thread b/c just the other day, my screen blanked out on me while driving. I've only just recently updated to 2020.48.12.1.

Deleted the navigation history several years ago - and it did improve the system performance.

Unfortunate there isn't a "delete all" or "delete older than 1 month" option - because deleting the destinations manually is pretty time consuming...