Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivered: Fremont express pickup experience & overall MY build quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been following this forum for a while as we all went through anticipation for our MY deliveries. I thought I'd do my part and do a write up for those to read or who may be waiting still.

Order date: June 2019 (RWD, White ext, Black Int, upgraded wheels, no FSD)
Changed order: May 5, 2020 (AWD, White ext, Black int, Upgraded wheels, no FSD)
Completed profile: I completed everything roughly May 10th ish. I forget exectly
Changed profile: I accepted a new lower financing rate from Tesla on 5/20/20 (at one point I thought this is what delayed me, because my profile "changed" again

I never got a text message or email from Tesla telling me to get excited or expect delivery in 4-8 weeks or some people got the 10 day version.

Timeline
  • Saturday, June 6th 2020 I checked the source code in the morning (I hadn't checked in a few days because i lost hope) and then I saw the vin.
  • Saturday June 6th, 2020 evening, I got a long email from Tesla with very contradicting information on delivery.
    • Email indicated things like, make sure you upload your insurance, accept your loan agreement and pay your deposit
    • Also indicated some information on where the pick up is going to be
    • Indicated if I don't complete things "in time" the car would be given to somebody else and I wouldn't get a new one by august 1, 2020. But it also said September, 2020 (very contradicting)
    • Indicated that I would get a text message by Tuesday, June 9th that my car is ready to be picked up
    • I needed to reply to the email saying "confirmed" once everything is done, or i'll lose my car
  • I got a text message on Sunday telling me to respond to the email they sent from saturday. The number is a dead number, cannot call or text back
  • I paid for everything on Monday morning via transfer through Tesla account. They have an option where you sign into your bank and transfer right there. No fees were charged by my bank. (I didn't see any info on how others paid on this forum)
  • Loan agreement didn't show up in my account until Monday night, in which i simply clicked "Agreed"
  • Tuesday, June 9th (delivery day) I waited all morning and heard nothing. Finally at around 1pm I got the text that the car is ready and the parking spot number it's at.
Fremont Express pickup
  • Absolutely nobody there to help. There were a bunch of cars parked in the numbered spot to pick up.
  • I waited to click accept delivery until I at least saw the car from the outside
  • Once I clicked accept delivery from my profile, the Tesla app showed my car
  • Bunch of other people picking their car up all confused and not knowing what to do
Build quality
  • Vin: 11xxx
  • I saw 2 little white out touchups that others have posted here. but very small.
  • Rear passenger seat is not aligned just like everybody else's car
  • Charge port protrudes out a little more than the rest of the body and trunk tail light
  • The tailights attached to the car protrudes a little more than the tailight on the turnk hatch itself
  • The passenger side top of the hatch doesn't seem to line up nicely with the roof rails
  • For some reason, my driver door seems to protrude out a little from the rear door
  • Front passenger bumper and fender doesn't line up nicely
  • Front passenger door doesn't line up with the lines on the camera on the fender
  • Panel gaps and alignment seems to be almost spot on except for those listed above
Final thoughts
  • This is the worst car buying experience I've ever had to deal with. Tesla needs to really step up their game with communicating to their customers. I think transparency to a certain extent is key. I had absolutely NO communication from Tesla, even up until the end, it was a huge ? the whole way through
  • Driving experience will still always be awesome with an EV and Tesla, thats what we mostly buy it for right?
  • Even though I just listed a bunch of things, I personally don't think its TERRIBLE to what's been delivered prior to me. I do completely agree that we're spending 60k and the car shouldn't have to go back into the shop within a week to get these alignment fixed. If Tesla keeps working on fit and finish before delivery, I think they are on a good path. Pre-covid vs post covid is pretty dramatic difference already
  • My feedback to Tesla is, they SERIOUSLY need to step up their game on customer service and communication. Like I said, this is the WORST car buying experience i've ever had.

Oh yeah, I was able to call and add a referal code Tuesday morning before I took delivery. It showed up in my Friends account, but we haven't seen an indicator of the 1000 free miles yet. Anybody know where it's supposed to show up? I've seen other posts that it should be in the lootbox area?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 11.12.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 11.12.35 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 378
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 11.12.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 11.12.42 AM.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 164
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 11.12.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 11.12.49 AM.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 175
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 11.12.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 11.12.55 AM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 181
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 11.13.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 11.13.01 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 169
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 11.13.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 11.13.07 AM.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 11.13.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 11.13.14 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 162
I don't want to minimize your experience and your clearly strong feelings. I feel bad that you had such a disappointing delivery experience. However, had I gone through the EXACT same experience, I think I would be more than satisfied. I'm guessing this is your first Tesla?

Your chief complaints are lack of communication and that no one was around to help you with delivery (which you managed to navigate rather well, I must say).

Tesla is not known for their communication skills (or their knowledge/honesty when you do find someone to talk to). But, your car was there on the day they promised.

I've sat in dealer's showrooms for hours while they bombarded me with add-ons that "everyone buys" and/or "are a must for any new car". To get in and out in a few minutes would be a godsend.

"More than satisfied?" Man the bar is pretty low for a 60k car.
I'm waiting for a MSM 20' no fsd and the op's post (among others) really makes me think of waiting a couple of years when all the other ev's come out and a minimum of QC/customer service is to be expected.

same bar for Model S since 2012 at a higher price point. All signs point to Tesla being able to satisfy a growing customer base despite the QC at the price points in which they operate

"More than satisfied?" Man the bar is pretty low for a 60k car.
I'm waiting for a MSM 20' no fsd and the op's post (among others) really makes me think of waiting a couple of years when all the other ev's come out and a minimum of QC/customer service is to be expected.

You haven't yet received delivery. Come back here -after- you've driven the Model Y and talk about its "low" bar for a 60k car.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
Oh yeah, I was able to call and add a referal code Tuesday morning before I took delivery. It showed up in my Friends account, but we haven't seen an indicator of the 1000 free miles yet. Anybody know where it's supposed to show up? I've seen other posts that it should be in the lootbox area?

It takes a few days to show up in your account. Check your app and click on the "loot box" in upper right corner. That's where you see it.

You said you were able to call and add the referral number. What number did you call? I thought only new orders were receiving the miles.

Reactions: jimmym1981
I don't want to minimize your experience and your clearly strong feelings. I feel bad that you had such a disappointing delivery experience. However, had I gone through the EXACT same experience, I think I would be more than satisfied. I'm guessing this is your first Tesla?

Your chief complaints are lack of communication and that no one was around to help you with delivery (which you managed to navigate rather well, I must say).

Tesla is not known for their communication skills (or their knowledge/honesty when you do find someone to talk to). But, your car was there on the day they promised.

I've sat in dealer's showrooms for hours while they bombarded me with add-ons that "everyone buys" and/or "are a must for any new car". To get in and out in a few minutes would be a godsend.

Completely agree. the "paper signing session" in the finance manager's office stresses me out completely, to the point where I am no longer interested in an extended drive post-purchase but have a strong urge of hitting the whisky bottle instead.
As long as they improve communication, I look forward to an unattended delivery.

Honestly, these QC issues make me cringe. I'm mostly ok with the lack of communication..I don't know why but it doesn't bother me much. Over promising and under-delivering is my main gripe (like it's ready for pick up then the day before...ooops it's not).
Make sure to document all those mis-alignment and other QC issues. You don't have to get them fixed immediately but you should make them known to Tesla so you can have it documented and fix at your leisure.

I also contactlessly picked up at Fremont. My car also has some of the same issues as yours, specifically the fender corner by the headlights sticking out. Both of mine stick out. My car has a bunch more issues though. Before delivery, I was initially told by the rep on the text that i should email a "Brian Conover" at Tesla of any concerns within 12 hours. I emailed him my list of issues the day after delivery and he wrote back the following day saying hes not responsible and for me to contact a service manager. i scheduled service via the app and my appointment is tomorrow. we'll see what happens.

• Informative
Reactions: powertoold
It takes a few days to show up in your account. Check your app and click on the "loot box" in upper right corner. That's where you see it.

You said you were able to call and add the referral number. What number did you call? I thought only new orders were receiving the miles.

I just called my local tesla service center (not fremont) and the sales person helped me. He was actually the nicest person i've ever talked to tesla and actually helped. Wish i got to talk to him prior, because it would have changed my view, even if they didn't have updates.

Not to be a dick, but I do not think "its normal for Tesla to be like this, therefore you should not be upset" is a right thing to say. Tesla is in the car business, therefore their customer service needs to be compared to other car makers. And Tesla customer service is at the bottom of the barrel comparatively speaking. Buying model 3 last year I tried adding referral code after placing the order and was told "If you can afford the car, you can afford to charge it" (referring to the free supercharger miles, 5k at the time). Like wtf kind of customer service is that? It costs them pennies, yet they are dicks. They didnt lose me as a customer, but that doesnt mean I think its ok to do.

Look at Apple on the other hand, they have the benefit (just like Tesla) of customers clamoring for their products, yet their customer service (At least in my experience) has been absolutely above and beyond. Ive had them give me brand new phones because I got a dust spec under the camera lens (which was not even visible in pictures, just cosmetic). It cost them way more to do that than it cost Tesla to give (using generation charges of 2c per kWh) $100, and in today's 1000 mile ($20).

They dont have to care about customer service for as long as they are the only kid on the block. Rumors are China is going to start sending over their EVs to EU and US within next few years. Right now it sounds ridiculous, but hey, people laughed Japanese cars out the door in the 70's for being unreliable, poorly made pieces of crap, and look at them now, majority of US market is Japanese cars. China is catching up quick (thanks to their engineers getting education at our Universities (tens of thousands in California alone), then working in Silicon Valley to get experience and then going back to China with all the knowledge (where cost of living/producing good is a fraction). They can double the hours/attention to detail and still spend less money than making a car here.

We may have Chinese made EVs sold at half the price driving up and down our roads in 5 to 10 years. And if I can buy 2 of those for a price of 1 Tesla... hey, maybe id give it a shot, it only has to last half the time. And by then most of Tesla's parts will be made in China anyways (supposedly China already has 1 million mile battery ready to be produced at mass scale, just saw an article on it yesterday).

Anyhow, at that point Tesla will have to step up their customer service game. For now they can be dicks all they want, and we'll still come back begging. But I think a lot of us will keep all this in the back of our minds, and when Tesla starts struggling it will come back to bite them.

Regarding quality, China can make piece of crap make as cheap as possible toy you bought for 10 cents at corner store, or they can make top end finely machined piece electronics (look at the electronics used in our tech coming from China). Its just a matter of how much one wants to spend on manufacturing costs. With margins on cars being huge (due to cheap labor) they can really make a quality car.

Chinese ones dont look bad either:

P7-winter-test-13.jpg

Xpeng P7 has the highest official Chinese EV range - Electrek

Last edited:
Not to be a dick, but I do not think "its normal for Tesla to be like this, therefore you should not be upset" is a right thing to say. Tesla is in the car business, therefore their customer service needs to be compared to other car makers. And Tesla customer service is at the bottom of the barrel comparatively speaking. Buying model 3 last year I tried adding referral code after placing the order and was told "If you can afford the car, you can afford to charge it" (referring to the free supercharger miles, 5k at the time). Like wtf kind of customer service is that? It costs them pennies, yet they are dicks. They didnt lose me as a customer, but that doesnt mean I think its ok to do.

Look at Apple on the other hand, they have the benefit (just like Tesla) of customers clamoring for their products, yet their customer service (At least in my experience) has been absolutely above and beyond. Ive had them give me brand new phones because I got a dust spec under the camera lens (which was not even visible in pictures, just cosmetic). It cost them way more to do that than it cost Tesla to give (using generation charges of 2c per kWh) $100, and in today's 1000 mile ($20).

They dont have to care about customer service for as long as they are the only kid on the block. Rumors are China is going to start sending over their EVs to EU and US within next few years. Right now it sounds ridiculous, but hey, people laughed Japanese cars out the door in the 70's for being unreliable, poorly made pieces of crap, and look at them now, majority of US market is Japanese cars. China is catching up quick (thanks to their engineers getting education at our Universities (tens of thousands in California alone), then working in Silicon Valley to get experience and then going back to China with all the knowledge. We may have Chinese made EVs sold at half the price driving up and down our roads in 5 to 10 years. And if I can buy 2 of those for a price of 1 Tesla... hey, maybe id give it a shot, it only has to last half the time. And by then most of Tesla's parts will be made in China anyways (supposedly China already has 1 million mile battery ready to be produced at mass scale, just saw an article on it yesterday).

Anyhow, at that point Tesla will have to step up their customer service game. For now they can be dicks all they want, and we'll still come back begging. But I think a lot of us will keep all this in the back of our minds, and when Tesla starts struggling it will come back to bite them.

Chinese ones dont look bad either:

P7-winter-test-13.jpg

Xpeng P7 has the highest official Chinese EV range - Electrek

... and yet no other car manufacturer comes close to Tesla with owner satisfaction and "would you buy it again?". And TSLA is at an all time high.

And if you think any other manufacturer, foreign or domestic, has or is close to having a Model 3 or Model Y competitor, go ahead and short the stock. That's been said since the early days of the Model S. I think, perhaps, Tesla is smart and capable enough to stay a step or two ahead of the competition. Tesla, and -only- Tesla, is setting the bar for EVs. Just when you think they are going stale, they come out with a Cybertruck or a million mile battery.

Reactions: pongajim
... and yet no other car manufacturer comes close to Tesla with owner satisfaction and "would you buy it again?". And TSLA is at an all time high.

And if you think any other manufacturer, foreign or domestic, has or is close to having a Model 3 or Model Y competitor, go ahead and short the stock. That's been said since the early days of the Model S. I think, perhaps, Tesla is smart and capable enough to stay a step or two ahead of the competition. Tesla, and -only- Tesla, is setting the bar for EVs. Just when you think they are going stale, they come out with a Cybertruck or a million mile battery.

I agree with you (in case that wasnt clear from my post). This is precisely why TSLA can be a dick and we are still on our knees, begging. I do think there will be competition to TSLA within 10 years, once other manufacturers get their heads out of sand and switch gears to EV. I also think China can be a fresh new come out of nowhere competitor. As I already said China supposedly already has million mile battery -China's CATL Has a Million-Mile EV Battery Pack Ready to Go

Anyhow, in case it wasnt clear, all I was trying to say by my admittedly too long of a post was that its not ok to be ok with Tesla's customer service sucking. We are putting up with it right now because they have the monopoly. But this shitty customer service will come back to bite them in the ass once there are alternatives... and alternatives are coming, just a matter of time.

Side note: I think that Teslas have highest satisfaction rating because they are good cars. This is why we are clammoring for them. This is why they can be dicks to us and we on forums just pat each other on the back and say to each other "its ok, they were dicks to me too... but hey the car is amazing". There is no competition. If the only Crayon for sale in a blue crayon, then you do a satisfaction survey, well, everyone will say the blue one is their favorite.

Most Tesla buyers/owners have not/would not consider ICE cars, which cuts out 95% of the market, then if you look at Range, well then you have TSLA monopoly. Cudos to them for making a product that is so good. But again, not an excuse for being dicks.

Last edited:
Reactions: raggedy

They dont have to care about customer service for as long as they are the only kid on the block. Rumors are China is going to start sending over their EVs to EU and US within next few years. Right now it sounds ridiculous, but hey, people laughed Japanese cars out the door in the 70's for being unreliable, poorly made pieces of crap, and look at them now, majority of US market is Japanese cars. China is catching up quick (thanks to their engineers getting education at our Universities (tens of thousands in California alone), then working in Silicon Valley to get experience and then going back to China with all the knowledge (where cost of living/producing good is a fraction). They can double the hours/attention to detail and still spend less money than making a car here.

We may have Chinese made EVs sold at half the price driving up and down our roads in 5 to 10 years. And if I can buy 2 of those for a price of 1 Tesla... hey, maybe id give it a shot, it only has to last half the time. And by then most of Tesla's parts will be made in China anyways (supposedly China already has 1 million mile battery ready to be produced at mass scale, just saw an article on it yesterday).

You put quotes around this as if I said it: "its normal for Tesla to be like this, therefore you should not be upset".

I said no such thing. I'm perfectly capable of making an ass out of myself without you having to put words into my mouth.

My point was that in light of the many, many people whose deliveries were delayed/cancelled and/or whose cars had things seriously wrong with them, these issues seem rather minor. Compared to experiences I've had when purchasing other car brands, this sounds like a walk in the park.

Can Tesla improve? Absolutely. Will they improve? It would be nice. Personally, I would be much happier if Tesla put ALL their effort into producing better cars with fewer defects. Putting resources into a temporary thing, like delivery centers during a ramp up, would be much lower on my list of things they need to fix.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tysto
was the pick-up location at the delivery hub or the factory? just wondering because before April, they actually delivered the car to your house.

Pretty sure it’s factory. That’s what they told me. Last year when I picked up my model three, it was at the hub. This year the instructions point you towards a certain lot number to find your car. That sounds like it’s the factory.