Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivered Today....Questions and Observations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,
I took delivery of my 2021 Model 3 Performance today. I drove it about 150 miles home. It's now charging and I have some questions, and some observations to share.

• Wow....just like my test drive. It's a great driving car! The power, handling, smooth acceleration, excellent!
  • Yes....there are still build quality issues. If I did not know what to look for, it would not be noticeable, but having read every Tesla post on the internet, I knew what I was looking for. The gaps look fine, but lots of stuff that's supposed to be flush isn't quite there.
  • It's dumb that they can't install homelink before you pick it up. They are sending a guy all the way out to the house 150 miles from the nearest service center, even though I purchased the kit and had it delivered before the car arrived.
  • The car I test drove was a long range with the 18 inch wheels. I am pleasantly surprised at the ride quality. It's firm for sure, but it did a great job of absorbing sharp bumps and the handling was outstanding. I was worried about the 20 inch rims, but no problem! Most of the drive was on curvy 55mph roads that were not always smooth. Excellent!
  • The car pulls to the right. I guess I need to have them check the alignment.
  • The pickup experience was great. Fast, efficient, no wait. They basically had me sign some DMV stuff and then handed me the keys. 90% charge got me home with 35% remaining. The trip was about 150 miles.
  • My S/A had told me no USB drive would be included, so I spend $40.00 on a good one. However, the USB drive WAS inclued.
  • My car has the heated steering wheel.
  • The red is gorgeous in the sun!
  • I am STUNNED at how high above the wheels the supposedly "lowered" performance suspension looks. The fender gaps are huge even with the 20 inch wheels, I've never lowered, or felt the need to lower a car, but this one is begging for it.
  • There were a couple of times that autopilot braked hard for no apparent reason. One time was understandable, but two others it just braked fairly hard with NOTHING around.
  • I've got what to me looks like huge gaps between the glass side windows and the glass center pillar covers (where the side cameras are located). The gaps are MOSTLY filled in by what seems like a very cheap, flimsy, rubber seal. I question if they are installed correctly because the inner lip barely seems to touch the glass. Can someone post a pic of what it's supposed to look like?
  • The drivers door seems to "bounce" when you close it, but everything looks flush, so????
  • Now for the questions:
  • I could only find Netflix using voice commands. Where is it on the screen?
  • I was told there was no BSM system but the car does project white lines in an arc if something is in the blind spot. However, my car frequently displayed the line in the right rear corner when NOTHING was around. It went on and off frequently. Normal?
Love the driving experience. Not so sure about the quality stuff! I'm sure I will have more questions later.

The white lines in an arc are not blind spot monitoring, they are basically sensors on the side that detect obstacles.

Netflix is under entertainment (tap the arrow in the bottom bar, tap entertaiment, then look for "theater" above the games that might show up in entertainment. Thats also where youtube is.

you likely will end up with a lot fewer interface questions to post about if you read through the manual. Unlike a lot of other cars, this one is different enough from an interface perspective it is helpful to read through it. You can download a PDF version of it from your tesla account and thumb through it on your tablet if you have one, or on your computer.

Its also available in the car, but thats less helpful for most, as they are not going to sit in the car and read 200 pages of car manual (well. some will, I did, but thats because I did that with all my vehicles purchased... most wont).

Reactions: UpperMeadow
Guys,
I took delivery of my 2021 Model 3 Performance today. I drove it about 150 miles home. It's now charging and I have some questions, and some observations to share.

• Wow....just like my test drive. It's a great driving car! The power, handling, smooth acceleration, excellent!
  • Yes....there are still build quality issues. If I did not know what to look for, it would not be noticeable, but having read every Tesla post on the internet, I knew what I was looking for. The gaps look fine, but lots of stuff that's supposed to be flush isn't quite there.
  • It's dumb that they can't install homelink before you pick it up. They are sending a guy all the way out to the house 150 miles from the nearest service center, even though I purchased the kit and had it delivered before the car arrived.
  • The car I test drove was a long range with the 18 inch wheels. I am pleasantly surprised at the ride quality. It's firm for sure, but it did a great job of absorbing sharp bumps and the handling was outstanding. I was worried about the 20 inch rims, but no problem! Most of the drive was on curvy 55mph roads that were not always smooth. Excellent!
  • The car pulls to the right. I guess I need to have them check the alignment.
  • The pickup experience was great. Fast, efficient, no wait. They basically had me sign some DMV stuff and then handed me the keys. 90% charge got me home with 35% remaining. The trip was about 150 miles.
  • My S/A had told me no USB drive would be included, so I spend $40.00 on a good one. However, the USB drive WAS inclued.
  • My car has the heated steering wheel.
  • The red is gorgeous in the sun!
  • I am STUNNED at how high above the wheels the supposedly "lowered" performance suspension looks. The fender gaps are huge even with the 20 inch wheels, I've never lowered, or felt the need to lower a car, but this one is begging for it.
  • There were a couple of times that autopilot braked hard for no apparent reason. One time was understandable, but two others it just braked fairly hard with NOTHING around.
  • I've got what to me looks like huge gaps between the glass side windows and the glass center pillar covers (where the side cameras are located). The gaps are MOSTLY filled in by what seems like a very cheap, flimsy, rubber seal. I question if they are installed correctly because the inner lip barely seems to touch the glass. Can someone post a pic of what it's supposed to look like?
  • The drivers door seems to "bounce" when you close it, but everything looks flush, so????
  • Now for the questions:
  • I could only find Netflix using voice commands. Where is it on the screen?
  • I was told there was no BSM system but the car does project white lines in an arc if something is in the blind spot. However, my car frequently displayed the line in the right rear corner when NOTHING was around. It went on and off frequently. Normal?
Love the driving experience. Not so sure about the quality stuff! I'm sure I will have more questions later.

Congrats! Welcome to club Red. What was your previous ride? I have found it to be smoother than I expected, but my last car was a 2019 Charger 392 w/ dynamics package also on 20's.

I read about all the issues that tesla has with build quality, so I know what I sign up for. My old Kona Ev has a broken electric motor- making weird scraping noise- failure high voltage battery, but the exterior is perfect.

Ordered a red 3 SR+ March after a test drive with a stated "2 - 4 week delivery" time. At 11:00 PM that night there's an update for me on shop.tesla.com to schedule my delivery for...4, 5, 6, 7 March! Called the next day and scheduled my delivery for 7 March. Great car, but it does have a front trunk panel and one taillight fitment issues. Thanks! Charlie!