Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivered With a Dozen Paint Defects...Am I Being Unreasonable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Backstory:

I ordered a red LR AWD on 12/3. On 12/21, I took delivery at the Carlsbad DC. Upon inspection at the DC, I noticed there were at least a dozen paint defects all over the car except rear bumper, from paint chips, bubbling in the clear coat, and debris stuck in the clear coat. There was also some scratches in the interior.

I took pictures of ever defect and shown it to the delivery guy as well as the SC manager who put it on a due bill. My SC POC also came out in which I expressed my concern that I did not want to bring the car back and would rather leave it here until it's fixed since I live far away and did not want to risk having the paint get more paint chips from driving since I was planning to get it fully wrapped when I left the DC.

He agreed, but told me the defects would not be assessed until 12/30 (today) because the body shop was closed during Christmas week. I uncomfortably agreed even though I knew it would be past the 7 day return policy, but I didn't think the defects would be much of an issue to fix.

Today I visited the body shop to show them exactly where all the defects were because the due bill description was fairly vague. The owner of the body shop told me some of the defects require re-painting over, like the door and trunk lid while the other areas can be sanded down and polished, but it won't 100% be perfect and some discoloration will likely be there permanently.

Right then, I was very concern that there's gonna be weird spots all over my car, and even though he said it is very noticeable, my eyes will still be glare at it like a hawk since I know where it is every time I walk by it. I told him to contact my SC POC and explain the details.

I get an email from my SC POC soon stating that he would order a new front fascia, while allowing the body shop to paint the needed areas and touch up the others. He vehemently expressed that the touch up will be nearly impossible to notice, and would like to advise me on what to do.

I went directly back to the SC to see him and expressed my concerns about how the newly painted panels might not have the same color tone as the original paint, and it might appear brighter then the rest. I also told him even if the touch up is nearly impossible to see, I'll still know that it's there.

I expressed that if I'm paying $60k for a brand new car, it should be in flawless condition, or at least with a couple minor issues, but not a dozen. I asked him politely if he can find another car and swap mine, even though I took delivery of my car already, and it was past the 7 day return policy, and even though I might lose the tax credit. I would rather have a better condition car then get the tax credit. He said he would talk with his managers and see what can be done, but he made no promises. I thanked him for trying to remedy the situation to ensure I was a happy customer.

Am I being unreasonable here by not accepting the work and instead requesting another car swap?

My main concern, as mentioned above, is the paint tone being different with the rest of the body, and all the blemishes from the touch-up.

Anybody have experience with getting their M3 repainted or touched up can enlighten me on whether they still see the aftermath of the work?

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 191
I also picked up my car this past week, had 4 miles upon pickup. Basically as "new" as you can get!

I spent a couple of hours washing and detailing it yesterday. I don't think I found a dozen paint defects, but certainly 6+. Is it more than I'd like? Sure. But even my BMWs that cost as much or more than this Tesla have had some paint issues.

I think you're being overly concerned, and any "repair" is just going to screw things up worse. After a few months, you'll either have a rock chip or door ding that will be 10x worse than anything you've showed us here. Get you some touch up paint and get those few spots where the paint is down the metal.

I'm just as attentive as you to these sort of things. But stressing about them too much is bad for your health and karma. As soon as you spend 2 months and lots of angry emails and phone calls to Tesla to get this (somewhat) fixed, some moron will rear-end you and you'll wish the pics above where all you had to worry about :)

I picked up a red recently. Didn’t really see anything, but it was a downpour. Once I got it home I still didn’t see anything. I am going to take another look tomorrow because of your post.

all that said, you pay an add’l $1k for red, I expect it to be flawless. Yours is definitely not that. Thank you for posting photo’s w/ the bits explained too.

Reactions: CarbonFree
I picked up a red recently. Didn’t really see anything, but it was a downpour. Once I got it home I still didn’t see anything. I am going to take another look tomorrow because of your post.

all that said, you pay an add’l $1k for red, I expect it to be flawless. Yours is definitely not that. Thank you for posting photo’s w/ the bits explained too.

Actually it was an additional $2k for red :(

I mentioned to my SC POC that I've read about others that have received a flawless car while mine is mediocre. My hopes are pretty low that they'll actually swap me out with another red, but didn't hurt to ask.

I was just trying to get other opinions to see if I should try to fight it in case they don't want to swap it.

Some of those should be fixed, most are level 10 absurd nitpicks and yes, you have unreasonable expectations.

The paint is brand new, it’s not like you’re trying to color match to a car that’s been exposed to the sun and elements for 3 years. There’s zero reason for concern about color/tone matching. Give them the opportunity to fix it before you blow
a gasket.

Backstory:

I ordered a red LR AWD on 12/3. On 12/21, I took delivery at the Carlsbad DC. Upon inspection at the DC, I noticed there were at least a dozen paint defects all over the car except rear bumper, from paint chips, bubbling in the clear coat, and debris stuck in the clear coat. There was also some scratches in the interior.

I took pictures of ever defect and shown it to the delivery guy as well as the SC manager who put it on a due bill. My SC POC also came out in which I expressed my concern that I did not want to bring the car back and would rather leave it here until it's fixed since I live far away and did not want to risk having the paint get more paint chips from driving since I was planning to get it fully wrapped when I left the DC.

He agreed, but told me the defects would not be assessed until 12/30 (today) because the body shop was closed during Christmas week. I uncomfortably agreed even though I knew it would be past the 7 day return policy, but I didn't think the defects would be much of an issue to fix.

Today I visited the body shop to show them exactly where all the defects were because the due bill description was fairly vague. The owner of the body shop told me some of the defects require re-painting over, like the door and trunk lid while the other areas can be sanded down and polished, but it won't 100% be perfect and some discoloration will likely be there permanently.

Right then, I was very concern that there's gonna be weird spots all over my car, and even though he said it is very noticeable, my eyes will still be glare at it like a hawk since I know where it is every time I walk by it. I told him to contact my SC POC and explain the details.

I get an email from my SC POC soon stating that he would order a new front fascia, while allowing the body shop to paint the needed areas and touch up the others. He vehemently expressed that the touch up will be nearly impossible to notice, and would like to advise me on what to do.

I went directly back to the SC to see him and expressed my concerns about how the newly painted panels might not have the same color tone as the original paint, and it might appear brighter then the rest. I also told him even if the touch up is nearly impossible to see, I'll still know that it's there.

I expressed that if I'm paying $60k for a brand new car, it should be in flawless condition, or at least with a couple minor issues, but not a dozen. I asked him politely if he can find another car and swap mine, even though I took delivery of my car already, and it was past the 7 day return policy, and even though I might lose the tax credit. I would rather have a better condition car then get the tax credit. He said he would talk with his managers and see what can be done, but he made no promises. I thanked him for trying to remedy the situation to ensure I was a happy customer.

Am I being unreasonable here by not accepting the work and instead requesting another car swap?

My main concern, as mentioned above, is the paint tone being different with the rest of the body, and all the blemishes from the touch-up.

Anybody have experience with getting their M3 repainted or touched up can enlighten me on whether they still see the aftermath of the work?
Not sure why you still took delivery and let your seven day window come and go, if you are that unhappy. If stuck with it, consider the paint touch up kit offered by Tesla. Would be better than a jack body shop taking a grinder to your new $60 car, IMHO. I suspect the SC will do no more than find you another car, at your expense. Look forward to hearing the outcome; hopefully a positive one.

I always tell people that if you don’t like the paint job on your Tesla just wait for another one. Trying to deal with body shops and repaints after you buy the car is just settling yourself up for a lot of wasted time and aggravation. I would have either accepted this car if I felt it was in reasonably good condition for a new car or I would have rejected it and waited for another one to be assigned. Going the route you went is the worst option. And it seems to be really stressing you out.

At least you got a due bill, I was told on 12/05 that Tesla stopped doing due bills back in Q3 so I either take the car as is or reject it, they won't fix any paint issue for me (two deep gouges on the frunk lid deep to the aluminium). The only thing I got out of my argument with them is a free touchup paint kit. I'd say fix the bigger ones and let the smaller issues slide, like the one near the wheel well, after a couple thousand miles any flawless paint will look like that.

Reactions: hoang51
Not sure why you still took delivery and let your seven day window come and go, if you are that unhappy. If stuck with it, consider the paint touch up kit offered by Tesla. Would be better than a jack body shop taking a grinder to your new $60 car, IMHO. I suspect the SC will do no more than find you another car, at your expense. Look forward to hearing the outcome; hopefully a positive one.

I took delivery because I thought the defects could easily be fixed back to its original condition without any noticeable difference, but not so based on conversation with body shop. I also didn't reject delivery because if I did, I wouldn't be able to order the same configuration/color for a year. I guess that's my undoing :(

I always tell people that if you don’t like the paint job on your Tesla just wait for another one. Trying to deal with body shops and repaints after you buy the car is just settling yourself up for a lot of wasted time and aggravation. I would have either accepted this car if I felt it was in reasonably good condition for a new car or I would have rejected it and waited for another one to be assigned. Going the route you went is the worst option. And it seems to be really stressing you out.

Yah I guess I put myself in this pickle.

The problem is, as mentioned above, I wouldn't be able to order the same color/configuration for a year. If I'm dropping a lot of money that I can afford on a car, I don't want to have any regrets later, and I don't want to settle for another color or performance since it's out of my price range. I did this in the past with a car that I loved, but color that I regretted, and I promised myself never to be in that situation again.

Yah I guess I put myself in this pickle.

The problem is, as mentioned above, I wouldn't be able to order the same color/configuration for a year. If I'm dropping a lot of money that I can afford on a car, I don't want to have any regrets later, and I don't want to settle for another color or performance since it's out of my price range. I did this in the past with a car that I loved, but color that I regretted, and I promised myself never to be in that situation again.

The restriction about ordering the same color/configuration only applies if you return a car, not if you reject a car without taking delivery.

I would advise against having panels repainted for the tiny imperfections you posted except for the scrape on the facia. You are just asking for pain and suffering. This is multicoat paint and harder to match than some other colors. Have them buff the other stuff out and be happy.