Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivered without EAP and no schedule to install it. What to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Foxtrotter

Supporting Member
Apr 12, 2016
Santa Barbara, CA
We took delivery of our second Model 3 on Aug. 11 in Santa Barbara. The car is perfect and the delivery was easy. The delivery person pointed out to us that the EAP that we paid for was not installed but would be within a couple of days. She also said to call her if we had any problems. A few hours later we got a call from another delivery person at the service center who said that it should be installed within hours and he would call back. No install and no call back. On the 13th I left messages for the two delivery people and talked to their "manager" who said he would look into it and get back to me. No return call. On Tuesday I talked to a guy in service who said he would look into it and someone would get back to me. No return calls. He also gave me a link to send a message to corporate which I did. No response. On Wed the 15th I got the second delivery person (who had delivered our first model 3) and he said that there was nothing he could do about it because it involves engineers at corporate and to expect it within a couple of weeks. And to call him back if nothing happened in two weeks. So here we are Aug 20 and there has been no communication from Tesla and no EAP.

We love the cars (and own the stock) and till now have had excellent experiences with Tesla, but this has been really discouraging. We need the second car for my wife to take on a longer trip but she will not consider doing a longer trip without autopilot so the car sits mostly unused in our garage. It is very frustrating that there is apparently no way to have input into this or get information about what is happening. We paid for EAP and FSD upfront. We were not told about the absence of EAP till the end of the delivery after we had paid for the car. And we were told it would be installed very soon so we didn't worry about it. We have an unfortunate medical situation that requires both cars for long trips but there is no way to get through to Tesla to even get information on when EAP will be installed.

I really think it is highly unethical to deliver a car without EAP installed and without any schedule or communication about when it will be installed. Had they told us before we paid we could at least have kept pressure on them to install it by putting off delivery. As it is, we have no way to know when it will be installed. And when the local people find out they can't do anything, they just apparently don't return calls.

At this point I am getting pretty frustrated about this.
If anyone knows what I could do to get information on when it will be installed or speed it up I'd appreciate it.

We took delivery of our second Model 3 on Aug. 11 in Santa Barbara. The car is perfect and the delivery was easy. The delivery person pointed out to us that the EAP that we paid for was not installed but would be within a couple of days. She also said to call her if we had any problems. A few hours later we got a call from another delivery person at the service center who said that it should be installed within hours and he would call back. No install and no call back. On the 13th I left messages for the two delivery people and talked to their "manager" who said he would look into it and get back to me. No return call. On Tuesday I talked to a guy in service who said he would look into it and someone would get back to me. No return calls. He also gave me a link to send a message to corporate which I did. No response. On Wed the 15th I got the second delivery person (who had delivered our first model 3) and he said that there was nothing he could do about it because it involves engineers at corporate and to expect it within a couple of weeks. And to call him back if nothing happened in two weeks. So here we are Aug 20 and there has been no communication from Tesla and no EAP.

We love the cars (and own the stock) and till now have had excellent experiences with Tesla, but this has been really discouraging. We need the second car for my wife to take on a longer trip but she will not consider doing a longer trip without autopilot so the car sits mostly unused in our garage. It is very frustrating that there is apparently no way to have input into this or get information about what is happening. We paid for EAP and FSD upfront. We were not told about the absence of EAP till the end of the delivery after we had paid for the car. And we were told it would be installed very soon so we didn't worry about it. We have an unfortunate medical situation that requires both cars for long trips but there is no way to get through to Tesla to even get information on when EAP will be installed.

I really think it is highly unethical to deliver a car without EAP installed and without any schedule or communication about when it will be installed. Had they told us before we paid we could at least have kept pressure on them to install it by putting off delivery. As it is, we have no way to know when it will be installed. And when the local people find out they can't do anything, they just apparently don't return calls.

If anyone knows what I could do to get information on when it will be installed or speed it up I'd appreciate it.
Wow, that is just sad. They are so disorganized!! It’s like regular ICE dealerships at this point, they are great till you own the car ... then service follow up is gonna suck here and there!

My advice is drive in to the service center. They should be able to get you setup quickly.

It only took them like 5 minutes to plug a laptop to my Model X and enable Biodefense mode.

I talked to the service center. Four different people including one in service. All of them said just wait, they couldn't do anything.
Its sitting locked, connect to electricity, and connected to Wifi. Its been that way for 11 days now. And I've called the service center at least 6 times.

I talked to the service center. Four different people including one in service. All of them said just wait, they couldn't do anything.
Its sitting locked, connect to electricity, and connected to Wifi. Its been that way for 11 days now. And I've called the service center at least 6 times.
I would ask Tesla for a loaner. Despite it is a software bug, it is still something wrong with the car. Give me a loaner until you fix my car. You paid your hard earn money for the car and you have a warranty.

Totally unacceptable that they put the onus on you to take care of the issue rather than doing their job. I could understand if they acknowledged the issue and gave you a firm date that EAP and FSD would be available but that doesn’t appear to have occurred. We’re you able to use the escalate link through your Tesla account? If it was me, I’d drive to the SC and not leave until the service manager took care of the issue.

not really related but its amazing that some people are okay with a ordering a new tesla without AP. i feel comforted that im not in the minority that doesn't thinks AP is essential to tesla ownership.

hopefully this gets resolved soon. i would deff just drive to a service center.

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 7.36.23 PM.png

Tesla SSO – Login<YOUR VIN HERE>

Try this page - be sure to check that bottom box. Good luck

Reactions: neroden
I just escalated it. I had missed the escalate box under the ask a question form because I didn't scroll down far enough. We'll see how it goes. Thanks everyone for the support.

And for long distance travel, after using it for 3 months on our first model 3 we consider EAP essential for longer drives and drives into LA.

not really related but its amazing that some people are okay with a ordering a new tesla without AP. i feel comforted that im not in the minority that doesn't thinks AP is essential to tesla ownership.

hopefully this gets resolved soon. i would deff just drive to a service center.
Not really related, but I was never felt that I should be with majority. I did not want to spend 5k to something I will barely use (I drive mostly in a city) and if I would really need it I could buy later. I prefer to drive , not to be a passenger. Especially if it involve keep some torque on a wheel anyway. Otherwize I could just use a taxi. Anyway, I will have 14 days trial and I'll see if it change my opinion (who knows, probably it will?).
Back to issue, I know that if that problem happened to me (EAP not available), my wife would make a such noise that service would give me a loaner right away :).

Not really related, but I was never felt that I should be with majority. I did not want to spend 5k to something I will barely use (I drive mostly in a city) and if I would really need it I could buy later. I prefer to drive , not to be a passenger. Especially if it involve keep some torque on a wheel anyway. Otherwize I could just use a taxi. Anyway, I will have 14 days trial and I'll see if it change my opinion (who knows, probably it will?).
Back to issue, I know that if that problem happened to me (EAP not available), my wife would make a such noise that service would give me a loaner right away :).

i respect that because a tesla is fun to drive. But for me, i know it was autopilot that convinced me to splurge $85k on a new car vs buying a comparable luxury vehicle with more "bells and whistles" for less. saw videos of it in action and knew that it was something i wanted to have.

i respect that because a tesla is fun to drive. But for me, i know it was autopilot that convinced me to splurge $85k on a new car vs buying a comparable luxury vehicle with more "bells and whistles" for less. saw videos of it in action and knew that it was something i wanted to have.
I am sorry for hijacking that thread... When I configured my future car I ordered EAP at first. Then, after talking with my friend I was convinced that choosing AWD is more important (and cost even less, 4k that time), so next day I changed my order. Later, after I read a lot of complains about annoying nugging, I feel like I made a right choice.

Wow, that is just sad. They are so disorganized!! It’s like regular ICE dealerships at this point, they are great till you own the car ... then service follow up is gonna suck here and there!
Honestly, I feel like it's the opposite. Currently Delivery Advisors are overworked and struggling/failing to provide good service. But once you own the car Tesla treats you like family. And they're working on tripling the number of service centers to keep up the good service.

Drop by the service center. There should be a note on your account from delivery listing the EAP, and that authorizes them to go ahead and turn it on. If they don't have that note, just email the delivery person who helped you at the delivery center. Not your Delivery Advisor.

Emails are better than phone calls for stuff like this because you have a nice e-paper trail.

Honestly, I feel like it's the opposite. Currently Delivery Advisors are overworked and struggling/failing to provide good service. But once you own the car Tesla treats you like family. And they're working on tripling the number of service centers to keep up the good service.

Drop by the service center. There should be a note on your account from delivery listing the EAP, and that authorizes them to go ahead and turn it on. If they don't have that note, just email the delivery person who helped you at the delivery center. Not your Delivery Advisor.

Emails are better than phone calls for stuff like this because you have a nice e-paper trail.

Not a very functional family I'm afraid!
I don't need a note, I have a sales contract. However, I'm out of town at the moment getting treatments for cancer. This has been a huge additional stressor and Tesla has been essentially unreachable. Sure I could go and squat at the service center but they already told me they couldn't do anything. But I'm too busy with other things.

I have dealt with three delivery people at the local service center, not the "delivery advisor". The woman who delivered the car said to call her if there were any issues. She never returned my phone call. Read the OP not just the title before giving advice, please. I know reading is hard, but!

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and Sg911
Not a very functional family I'm afraid!
I don't need a note, I have a sales contract. However, I'm out of town at the moment getting treatments for cancer. This has been a huge additional stressor and Tesla has been essentially unreachable. Sure I could go and squat at the service center but they already told me they couldn't do anything. But I'm too busy with other things.

I have dealt with three delivery people at the local service center, not the "delivery advisor". The woman who delivered the car said to call her if there were any issues. She never returned my phone call. Read the OP not just the title before giving advice, please. I know reading is hard, but!

OP - I read your whole post and I apologize if my answer made you feel differently. I made the distinction between delivery people and delivery advisor because they're both people you have dealt with. I try to always ask the people I deal with at Tesla for their business card or email. My delivery person responded to emails super-fast when I had issues.

The note I referenced is called a "Due Bill" and it lists the stuff that still needs to be completed after delivery. I think that getting that due bill added to your account will be the easiest way to get Tesla to fix the problem.

Just trying to help

PS: Kick that cancer's ass!