TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Delivered

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by dethman, Jul 6, 2018.

1. dethman

dethman Member

Picked up my Model X last Wednesday. I have taken it to work a few times and then a quick 1000 mile road trip over the weekend with my kids and father in tow. Initial thoughts are that my wife and I like the car in general, with some reservations though. We got the 75D 7 seater with 20" wheels. We now have 1,174 miles on it. Not sure about the EV hype quite yet. I went back and drove my ICEs a few times and I wasn't missing the Tesla or anything. More impressions later.

Delivery:
    Picked up the car in Costa Mesa. We ended up going with a new inventory car as our original custom order was to be delayed about a month from our original estimate. The car was speced the same. Overall the delivery process was quick and to the point. No fanfare, which I didn't really expect. My DS was in the showroom but did not say hi to us. They asked us to sign some papers, hand over a personal check. They seemed annoyed when I asked to see the car before signing the paper that says that I took delivery. They said 'we can shred anything you know.' Hmm. Stood over us while we inspected the car like we were wasting their time, finally seemed relieved when i signed the paperwork.

The guy who showed us around the car had been with tesla less than one month. He knew less about the car than I did. The intro to the car lasted about 5 minutes or so. Pretty much showed us how to open doors and stuff. Car itself was in good condition. Charged to about 65%. The trim on the passenger door was misaligned and the hood had a scratch on it. When I asked about the trim, the first thing the guy said was 'that's within spec.' Well you didn't measure anything so you don't know it's within spec, also you've been with tesla about a month so you probably don't even know what the heck 'spec' is. I asked to speak to someone higher up and they came out and scheduled a service appointment to fix it. For 2 weeks out. They said they would need a new part and replace the door trim. They buffed out the scratch, no goodies or anything, just please drive off, good luck, and we were on our way.

At least it was nice I didn't have to sit in the dealership for 3 hours like any other car buying process I've had in the past. It's nice to able to just spec your car go pick it up when it's ready, but the process itself was frought with delays. If it was more streamlined, it would be much better. I do miss the hunt a bit though, you know trying to find the best deal on the car you want. Sort of part of the fun. Anyway more thoughts about the car later.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1