Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deliveries have ceased - where are all the cars going?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have no need to invite more people to configure if they had a sufficient number of people configure and order AWD and/or performance versions. It is entirely possible that they have well over a month's worth of those to build before there is a need to invite more people.

Yeah, produciton order used to be

• First Available (Model 3 with PUP and LR)
  • Everything else

It just recently flipped to

• Performance Model 3
  • All Wheel drive Model 3
  • First available (the old PUP + LR config)
a lot of people put in for something above the old "first available" config (they deferred the first round invite) so those people got their invites a long time ago and jumped in when they could on performance or all wheel drive.

Something doesn’t add up here IMHO. Why not invite more as Elon said they were going to do in a recent tweet? Even if they invite now they can delivery after July 1 and not endanger the credit. If delivery is 4-6 weeks they only have a few days left to hit the May-July windows AND take care of the backlog. On top of all that there are still a lot of early invites that haven’t even been invited to order a D/P model.

I thought that Elon said that the take rate on the last batch of invites was higher than expected... So the probably have enough orders to keep them busy.

Reactions: neroden
I configured on 4/18 & expect to take delivery last week of June or 1st week of July (as finally estimated by Tesla).

That's what.. 10-11 weeks? Be sure to set your expectations on these 3-6 or 4-6 week estimates.
Non-owners that configured in late May especially ha. Hopefully you all experience better if you're not combating Canadian deliveries, WA deliveries, and cross country transport.

As far as where the cars are going the Tesla inside rep told me today that depending on where I land on the delivery schedule, car may stay in the "regional hub" for a bit. Not surprising but clearly even for deliveries to the northeast they may accumulate stock in places other than Delivery Centers & perhaps less conspicuously than what they've done in Toronto for example

Cheers

• Informative
I passed a semi full yesterday on I81 North in Virginia, suspected it was headed to Northern Va/ DC area.... of course it could be going anywhere.... I have 3 coworkers taht are expecting delivery end of June first week of July...they are being told "delviery slots are filling fast and already scheduled throught eh first week of July... Tesla is playing the game to keep below 200k, until Q3.... for US deliveries...

Reactions: Big Earl
I configured in early May and just got VIN yesterday ( had to call, no change online). Paperwork complete, but told not to expect delivery until first week of July. I wish communication was better, and that they didn’t give me the unrealistic estimate of 3-6 weeks when I ordered. However, I have no doubt my frustration will be forgotten when I finally take delivery of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and DR61
New production update from Elon - More than 3500 per week, but there are problems

Tesla Model 3 production update: Elon Musk will be ‘almost 24/7’ at factory to help fix a few bottlenecks
Saw it - hilarious.
a) Very unclear what actual throughput production of the entire line is. Yes, pieces can work at 500 per day - but that is a far cry from consistently all working together at 500 per day.
b) The temporary tent in the parking lot is for vehicle production. Seriously!??! Looks like they have a capacity problem.
c) And my personal favorite - “The CEO invited anyone in the company who “feel can help out in any of those areas” to reach out to those execs and others in charge of the previously mentioned bottlenecks areas.” Oh, yeah, like they have experts in paint shop “radical restructuring” just hanging around the plant.

• Disagree
Reactions: davedavedave