Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivering an M3 SR+ to a state I havent moved to yet (WA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time poster! I'm in what I think is a bit of an interesting situation and wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience or if there's any advice to be offered.

-I'm currently planning on moving to Washington state in a few months. I don't have a place, yet. I will likely start a rental lease in the area sometime next month.
-I'm also in the process of getting a new M3 SR+. It was ordered about a week ago and supposed to be arriving in September/October. The timing is weird, but I have my reasons.

I know I can change the delivery location from my current address to my future address, but I'm not sure I understand the order of of what's supposed to take place between
registering the vehicle, becoming a resident (so that I can make use of the incentives/rebates the state has to offer), and obtaining a WA-state license if necessary.

I'm clearly a bit lost here. Part of me wants to just get the car here and drive it up, but I also would like to enjoy the lower sales tax in the county I'm targeting in WA and the incentives that are offered there.

Thanks in advance! Love what I've seen of this community!

Welcome to TMC,

If I were you, I would start by looking at what (if any) state incentives might be available in your destination location (and how long you have to be a resident to receive those) , vs what (if any) incentives might be available in your current location. After that, I would look at the tax differences (perhaps washington gives a tax credit if you trade in a vehicle? I dont know, CA doesnt, that I DO know).

That would help you determine the order you want to do things. If you have already done that, and want to take delivery in your destination location, that part should be as easy as placing the order and when you have your new address (prior to delivery) telling tesla "I have moved, and want to take delivery here at my new address, in this state".

Welcome to TMC,

If I were you, I would start by looking at what (if any) state incentives might be available in your destination location (and how long you have to be a resident to receive those) , vs what (if any) incentives might be available in your current location. After that, I would look at the tax differences (perhaps washington gives a tax credit if you trade in a vehicle? I dont know, CA doesnt, that I DO know).

That would help you determine the order you want to do things. If you have already done that, and want to take delivery in your destination location, that part should be as easy as placing the order and when you have your new address (prior to delivery) telling tesla "I have moved, and want to take delivery here at my new address, in this state".
Thanks for the reply and the welcome!

I have been looking through some past topics that seem related to this, and the thing I noticed is that the sales tax that would be charged would be based on the Tesla location closest to where I would live. In my case, I plan to move to Vancouver , Washington (where the tax rate is 7.7%) whereas all the Tesla locations are either in the Seattle or Spokane region (3-ish hours from Vancouver with a 9-10% sales tax range and $2500 tax exemption) or Portland Oregon (15-30 min drive from Vancouver, no sales tax, but I'd have to pay that when registering in WA). I feel kind of trapped and there doesn't seem to be an obviously better option.

QUESTION #1: And if I were to pick-up from Portland, I imagine I'd have to re-register in WA?

The straight-forward solution would probably be to pick it up in California. It's a 9.25% tax rate and there's a $1500 Clean Fuel reward deducted on-the-spot. I think I'm just nervous about taking a brand new car on a 10-hour trip to WA. (I'm generally a bit nervous in a new car) And in the grand scheme of things, a 10 hour drive (650 mile trip) will hardly leave the tiniest of dents on my car's battery/engine.

QUESTION #2: I imagine there's a lot of people on this board that broke in their new Tesla with a long long trip? :p As silly of a question as it is, I'd love to hear other peoples' experiences doing a similar trek early in the life of their new Tesla's (especially if you were driving with a dog).

These cars dont really have break in periods, like ICE vehicles do when they are new. My previous new BMWs, for example, would always advise not to use cruise control or drive at a constant speed during the first 1200 miles or so. People did it anyway (many people even took delivery of their new BMWs in germany, and drove on cross europe vacations before shipping the car back here to the states.

Teslas dont have a break in period like that, so there is no issue in taking it on a trip like that. The only thing would be checking charging stations on the trip, with something like the a better route planner website ( A Better Routeplanner ) to check charging stations, where you would stop, etc.