Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery 9/6 - Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a AWD Model 3 for just under 2 years. Traded in for a Model Y.

Ordered 8/19.
Took delivery 9/6.
Central Ohio

Long range - MSM - White interior - Tow Hitch - FSD. VIN: 39xxx

Has the door icons on the open buttons, and the new tail lights.

1. Small smudge on headliner - still need to try to clean it.
  2. Wind noise on driver window sometimes - might be the plastic triangle on the outside of the mirror. It's not glued well at all on the driver side - passenger side definitely glued well.
  3. Rear driver side door alignment is off by 3mm or so, so it looks lopsided.
  4. Very, very, small round ding on same door as above - Rear driver side door
  5. Vibration at highway speed, went back to Tesla and they balanced the tires. It's better but not perfect, they're going to look at it tomorrow.
  6. Steering wheel is off by about 1 or 2 degrees. Logo doesn't point straight down. When it does the car goes left.
  7. Hood is bulged slightly.
  8. Hard to tell, but hood is slightly warped near the logo.
  9. Hood has a residue on it, I assume it was wrapped in transport.
  10. Couple scuffs on the rear plastic near the tow cover.
  11. Two small spots on the black trim that are showing the silver metal underneath.
  12. 2 inch paint run under the clear code on the passenger door near the very bottom. Super hard to see, only saw it when I was applying Opti-seal. Never seen it from further than 6 inch away and I still have to search for it.
All of that said a "normal" person isn't noticing any of those things except item 5, and maybe... just maybe item 2. While I'm not excited about the overall quality - the car is still amazing, and I just don't care enough to give it much thought.

I've asked Tesla to review items 2, 4, 5, 6. The rest of them I'm choosing to ignore.

Here are the results.

1.) Small amount of invisiglass and very light rubbing removed the smudge, didn't harm the headliner at all.

2.) This one was the hardest issue. I was at the SC for 3 hrs Wednesday, and they couldn't track it down, so they kept the car until Friday evening. They did manage to fix the problem. I'm still waiting on the final invoice with the work they did. I did get a model S loaner for 2 days (in chill mode :( )

3.) They lifted the door and it's good now, with a major caveat at the bottom of this message

4.) The dent person they use was unable to remove it. They said they have another guy and they can schedule. I told them I'll take my car back and we'll schedule it, perhaps when I order my Homelink. It's smaller than pencil eraser, so I'm not too concerned.

5.) Alignment fixed the issue. To quote them "You were right, that alignment was way off, all over the place. It's the worst we've seen from the factory." Image at the bottom.

6.) They straightened the wheel when they did the alignment.

7.) Still there, didn't mention. Ignoring.

8.) Still there, didn't mention. Ignoring.

9.) All good after a lot of cleaning and buffing.

10.) Still there, didn't mention. Ignoring. Washing and waxing lessened the visibility of the scuffs a good bit.

11.) Still there, didn't mention. Ignoring. Sharpie made it slightly better, but the color of the sharpie isn't dark enough. Might try the tiniest drop of black nail polish. These are nearly pinhead sized marks, so it's not noticeable unless you're detailing the car.

12.) Still there, didn't mention. Ignoring.

*Caveat from #3* - My son got in and shut the door and it made a terrible sound. I thought "Jees, stop slamming the door!" Come to find out when they adjusted the door, they must have not looked at the window, because the window glass was slamming up against the small triangle glass that thieves break all the time. Thankfully it didn't shatter. I popped the door panel off, loosened the two window bolts and adjusted the right side about 1/8" and it's fixed. I was going to have them do it, but I'm tired of having the car the service center.

Other issue - Terrible rattle in the front passenger door. I popped the panel off, and found 4 clips that weren't attached all the way, and 2 broken clips. Fixed all of those, and the door doesn't rattle anymore.

Alignment Image:
Alignment.jpg

All of that said, the service and responsiveness of the service center was excellent. I'm kind of amazed at the glass issue, but it is what it is, and they genuinely took a great deal of time making sure I was pleased with all the results, and wanted to make the car perfect for me.

• Informative
Reactions: Koolio46