TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Delivery and prep charges, what can be anticipated?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by navguy12, Apr 9, 2016.

1. navguy12

navguy12 Member

So I know what to enter, $$$ wise, into the "delivery charges" column of my Model 3 savings plan spread sheet:

What is the figure that Tesla has been using for Model S deliveries:
    • To the conterminous United States, and
    • To Canada.
    Thanks

Cheers

2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

3. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Genesis - The Beginning - MS60D in its nest

I stumbled into a "mandatory" $600/yr annual service call on model S's. I inquired what was done on a service call and got convinced that it is a good thing to do and fairly priced - but it was not in my original budget plan.
    So - don't know what a M3 will charge for a service call, but put in SOMEThING for annual maintenance.

and for me...I'd probably insert a line for user-options ---glass tinting, apple-apps, stereo, speeding tickets...stuff happens right?

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Thanks. Since I'm used to the dealer model of new vehicle purchase, are there any other fees and/or surcharges involved?

13% HST (in Ontario) on the full cost of the transaction is a given.
    I'm assuming a $US 42,000.00 cost based on what EM stated at the unveiling as the average optioned vehicle will cost.
    Add $US 1300.00 for delivery.
    Anything else?

Thanks again for the info. Cheers

5. Blueeyedme

Blueeyedme Member

While this is recommended, it's certainly not mandatory.

• Like x 2
  6. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

No, that $1300 Canadian.

• Informative x 1
  7. hoang51

hoang51 Member

The annual service is not mandatory. It is only a recommendation. See here: Service plans

But if anybody knows how to maintain cars, especially the conventional ones (i.e., gasoline), the annual service plan(s) from Tesla are not worth the cost.

8. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Genesis - The Beginning - MS60D in its nest

I read several stories of S-owners who had Service Calls and then shared the details of what was done. I started with the position that Dealers will rip you off, recommend stuff that really does not need to be done and overcharge because they can. The Tesla details of what was done - the problems detected , the detail of the service. These details brought a level of trust that has not existed with other dealers.

I agree "not mandatory" but seems like a really good recommendation.

Not worth the cost? From what I've read, well worth the cost.

9. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Absolutely. My Prius has worked out to $478.11 a year in routine maintenance. All part of the cost of ownership.
    Ok, that's a nice little suprise.
    Thanks

10. StraightDave

StraightDave Member

My Honda Accord costs me $75/year to change the oil three times.

11. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Sweet. My figure includes 8 tires, 4 wheel alignments and other sundry items over the life of the car.

• Like x 1
  12. longshadows

longshadows Member

1) Any idea what delivery charges for the Model 3 will be in the U.S.? I heard it's a flat $1,200 to any point--even if you request delivery/pickup at the Freemont factory!

2) Since most deliveries will be "one off" and not on dealer's delivery "car carriers", you won't receive a cleaned, dealer prepped auto, and who knows how road/in-transit damages will de handled.

3) Finally, can anyone clarify the matter of non-California residents taking delivery in CA? I've heard that unlike most states, CA has a mandatory sales tax on cars, even if you are a non-resident and will be taking it right out of state. Anyone done this?

Thank much for the advice!

13. vjason

vjason Member

1) This keeps the delivery price consistent for everyone, and I believe all dealers do it. Plus it just makes things simple given the size of the country and all.

2) Tesla does use rail for shipping, not sure if all cars go that way. Just because a truck delivers it to the sales office don't assume it came from across the entire country (sorry for this link, best I could find for now - awful delivery logistics at Tesla | Tesla Motors). Generally speaking cars tend to be moved around the US without much issue.

3) CA is trying to vote in an exception to this so people will visit the state to pick up their cars. Sorry I don't have a good link handy on this one. Of course if your state imposes a tax on vehicles sales you'll pay that when you go to register it (regardless of where it was purchased) so be prepared.

14. Lunarx

Lunarx Member

I know other states, like Ohio, will collect their Sales Tax and then when you get back to CA you owe the CA Tax, minus what was already paid to Ohio.
    Going out of CA, you might overpay in CA and then not owe anything in your state (except registration).
    Check if your home Sales Tax is higher than CA.
    If it is, then you won't overpay, in CA, and you get to pay the balance, due to your home state, when you get home and register it there.
    Also, different regions of CA have different sales tax rates.

15. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

Debateable, but just a bit. Will that level of service extend to Model 3 owners? Also debateable, haha.

Free 4x brake pads upgraded to the Cold Weather package and new battery coolant are pretty special, though. I'd hope, at least for the battery coolant, that they would provide any unique/Tesla-specific information about that coolant.

16. Thalass

Thalass Model 3 reserved zomg

Sounds like it'd be worth it to fly down to Toronto and road trip it in the new car. Which would be my preference anyway.

• Like x 2
  17. ArtC

ArtC Member

What does annual service charge have to do with the delivery charge?

18. ArtC

ArtC Member

Model S owners: Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the new cars are delivered to the SC's for cleaning and prep before it's delivered to the new owner. Right?

19. Paul Yager

Paul Yager New Member

I've never bought a car "sight unseen" before, but this company has inspired me. I'm a Audi/BMW customer usually. What can I expect from the Tesla process?

20. navguy12

navguy12 Member

I'd look at doing my own servicing as I do now, but the r&r coolant requires access to the correct product and access to the procedure.