Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery and Rejection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After spending several weeks searching source codes for a vin# , getting one, getting a MVPA, then getting a delivery date I was pretty stoked, but apprehensive after reading about all the quality and fit issues with the MY.
Yesterday was our delivery date 6/13 in San Diego @ the Carlsbad DC for our MY/LR AWD/Pearl White Black Interior /19” Wheels /non performance, No FSD, Vin# 94xx car.
We arrived at the DC armed with a DELIVERY Checklist complied from the forum . Checked in and was told our delivery was touch less. Center was very busy with lots of people picking up their cars.
Since there was no one assigned to help us we got inspect the car throughly on our own
Car looked beautiful and at first the inspection was going well and we thought we might get lucky and have a “perfect” car,
Then the gap and alignment issues began to show up. There Were Panel and Molding gaps and misalignments on both sides of the car . The rear hatch was the worst with multiple panel gaps and both rear tail lens were misaligned.
There were several scratches in the paint on the interior door panels and inside the frunk the plastic covers were loose and not attached. The front hood gaps were even but the hood was raised above the front fenders..
Interior wasn’t too bad except the rear seats were misaligned and the right side seat was taller then the middle and left seat and would not fold down with the release button.
It took us about 30 minutes to inspect the car , then we found a Delivery guy to over the car with us. He was very helpful and friendly and mostly agreed with our assessment , but did continuely refer to items that were within Tesla’s specs and that it was a new model and there were some issues that needed to be corrected (Especially the rear tail light and rear seat issues.)
Then what happened surprised me,

He then suggested that even though most of the issues could be fixed at the service center and body shop, he felt that it would be better to get us another car. He said Tesla would rather have us leave feeling that we were happy with our car then leaving with a car that had issues that needed to be resolved.
He said he would have to get his managers approval to release our vin and to re issue us a new vin. We were told we should be able to get another car by the end of June. He left and came back shortly and told us the the manager approved the vin release. He said our next car would be much better but he did caution us that some of their issues might still be present.

Overall I think the experience was positive and I was very pleased that Tesla is willing to make sure we would get a better car that we would be happy with. I am willing to wait for another car and am still super excited about getting a Model Y.
Hopefully soon!!!!

A happy former Model S owner

Reactions: AKTech.it
Glad it went in your favor. This further proves my point that there are absolutely NO correlation between high VINs and QC. This whole supposedly new QC post inspection is bogus. It's a crapshoot with many hands building your car, and it takes just one sleeping behind the wheel, period.

Hell, Tesla is playing major catch up right now spitting these out faster than I can stuff myself at the buffet station. Minor things will more than likely be overlooked.

These factory kinks with the Y will not be ironed out anytime soon. Why? Most people either received a perfect car or some can overlook these imperfections, or it can be sorted out after delivery.

Stop this madness..

You were very thorough. More issues will most likely arise after you test drive the car: possibly steering wheel misalignment, wind noise, and rattle noise, the list can go on. These all happened to me. My car didn't have paint issues but did have alignment and panel gaps. After I took it out of the delivery center and drove it home, that is when I realized the driving experience was subpar. The car just feels poorly put together.

Just saw you in the other post.

OP - sorry to hear about your issues and I'm glad that the DA actually suggested you rejecting delivery. I've read a bunch of stories of pushy DAs who will do their utmost to get the car to the driver regardless of issues.

Here's to hoping your next one is flawless!

I'm glad they realize what needs to be done. Frankly it would have been much easier on the delivery team to have a similar checklist of their own and not schedule a delivery if things are bad. I am guessing they are trying to get people who don't care about panel gaps and stuff to pick up the cars so they have less work to do. Frankly, when I bought my last 2 cars (over 23 years), I never looked or inspected them. I just assumed that everything will be aligned properly in a car that cost 5 figures. And it always was (and those cars cost less than half of MY). Maybe that attitude is what delivery centers are counting on?

I'm glad they realize what needs to be done. Frankly it would have been much easier on the delivery team to have a similar checklist of their own and not schedule a delivery if things are bad. I am guessing they are trying to get people who don't care about panel gaps and stuff to pick up the cars so they have less work to do. Frankly, when I bought my last 2 cars (over 23 years), I never looked or inspected them. I just assumed that everything will be aligned properly in a car that cost 5 figures. And it always was (and those cars cost less than half of MY). Maybe that attitude is what delivery centers are counting on?
I truly believe that they know all these issues and hope people just won’t care, which is quite unfortunate.

Thanks for sharing.

Part me of feels they do this because someone else may take your car without batting an eye at the issues you found, so Tesla wouldnt have to fix anything, and you would just get a newer one (another roll of the dice). 9xxx VIN i think its post re-open but pre-new QA process.
Yeah I agree, I am sure someone else already been notified there is a car available for them. If so, I hope they are deligent enough to inspect the car and that Tesla will have fixed most of the issues the car has. If Tesla were not so eager to push out as many cars as they can and focus more on Quality control, then Tesla and their customers would both benefit.

Agree they should fix it first! What's funny is, I'm now a panel gap expect (lol) and now I see how bad most cars are. My old Jaguar F-Pace I sold to a family member has hood alignment issues, my buddies brand new Ford Explorer has multiple issues, etc. I think we just didn't focus on them until the haters started really hammering Tesla. I know I was really worried when I picked up my S 2 1/2 years ago, but it was perfect, So was my neighbor's 3 (about 6 months ago).