Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery appointment email and the unreasonable requirements on third-party financing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CU is aware of Tesla's requirements and is prepared to accommodate them by paying forward, i.e., ahead of the delivery date.

This brings up an interesting consideration to the idea of rejecting delivery of a car that is in some way not up to snuff. As in, it's not going to happen. Not going to reject a car that has been borrowed against and paid for.

Right? Does not seem right.

I am going to ask CU and Tesla about this scenario. I would much rather prefer to have a blank check or a DFR in hand and only proceed with the loan and payment from CU to Tesla after I have had a chance to examine and accept the car.
To me this seems safest for both you and your CU.
Realistically though, I understand why Tesla requires the funds be in their possession at the time of delivery.
Would you sell something to someone you don’t know and take the payment days or even a week later?

CU is aware of Tesla's requirements and is prepared to accommodate them by paying forward, i.e., ahead of the delivery date.

This brings up an interesting consideration to the idea of rejecting delivery of a car that is in some way not up to snuff. As in, it's not going to happen. Not going to reject a car that has been borrowed against and paid for.

I am going to ask CU and Tesla about this scenario. I would much rather prefer to have a blank check or a DFR in hand and only proceed with the loan and payment from CU to Tesla after I have had a chance to examine and accept the car.

If your CU could wire Tesla ahead of delivery date, they should be able to cut a check with the exact payment amount to Tesla and let you carry it with your on delivery date.

If your CU could wire Tesla ahead of delivery date, they should be able to cut a check with the exact payment amount to Tesla and let you carry it with your on delivery date.
They should and they might. The real question is: does the loan get funded when the check is cashed, or when it's cut? I suspect the latter.

That's why I am so intrigued by the concept of a DFR. In my mind, when the DFR is filled out and sent to the lender, that's when the loan gets funded and the dealer gets paid, all in one fell swoop. And people did report bringing a DFR on their delivery day. Am I remembering correctly?

It's standard policy to give all financial with those clause. I got it too when I used third party financing.

The Bill of Sale from Tesla includes the total price of the car with any trade-ins. The bank or CU will use it to give you a conditional loan. The bank can also issue a letter to Tesla specifying the loan amount that you will get.

You will definitely get a check mailed to you by the CU or bank with its pay to Tesla, Inc. Then, you would mail the check to Tesla.

It's normal. Work with your Sale Advisor closely. They know what they are doing.

Unless you have seriously bad credit, your CU should be willing to issue you a blank (as in fill-in-the-amount up to a stated limit) check that you can bring with you and if you decide to refuse delivery, don't hand over the check, instead return it to the credit union.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61