Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Appt Canceled Today - 12v Battery Dead!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

My new MYP finally arrived and I was scheduled to pick it up today only to get a call 3 hours before the appt saying the 12v battery on the car seems to be dead and they were going to quickly replace the battery and try to still get me the vehicle today.

Well... two hours later and I received a text saying "it looks like our team needs a bit longer to work on this battery issue" and they pushed my appt back to the original date of Wednesday.

My question is, should this be a big red flag regarding this particular VIN# and a potential issue? What should I ask or look for if / when this car is good to pickup? Should I demand a new vehicle? I don't want to wait another 8 weeks by any means, the woman on the phone did mention they could maybe pull another car if they can't figure this one out, not sure if that's good news or bad news as that worried me a bit haha.

Thoughts?

I think you will be fine. I don’t think waiting for a different car will have a material impact on the reliability of whichever car you get.

Being that the low volt battery is charged by the high voltage system, if it was dead it is either cause there is a problem with the hv battery or the low volt battery charger. Both of which are routinely replaced….

Good to know. I'm also leasing the vehicle so even if it were a lemon or a real pain in the arse long term, I can rest easy knowing I'm not going to have to figure out how to resell it.

Hoping they can get this ironed out quickly though as it's a bit frustrating knowing my brand new car is sitting there waiting to be picked up, but needs repairs...🤔

I wouldn't be concerned unless it took more than a day or so for them to resolve the issue. If they end up doing someting major like replacing the HV battery, I might pass, not so much because a new battery is a bad thing, but they have to take so much of the car apart to do that job. I'd be worried that either things might be missed or something might get scratched or scuffed.