Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery call - WARNING

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I received a delivery call checking final details and confirming delivery between 8th and 20th August.

They asked if I was available all of those days.

I'm away on the 19th & 20th so I told them this.

They phoned back a few minutes later and said that as I wasn't available for the full delivery window they would have to reassign my VIN to someone else and I would go to the back of the queue. They couldn't give me any more certainty around the delivery date and wouldn't budge on their stated claim on their website that delivery could be rearranged up to a week after the date (I'm only away for 5 days !)

So I'm pretty peed off by this, having reserved 2 years ago and ordered on the 1st of May.

As I'm one of the rare people who ordered 19" wheels and had a delivery estimate I'm left wondering when on earth I'm going to get my car.

I'm now really torn - Tesla have peed me off to the extent that if it was anyone else I would tell them where to stick their car - but also no other car will do at this point !

So be prepared if they call - if you aren't available at any time in their 2 week estimatethey will reassign your car to someone else.

I wonder how they think this is the best way to approach delivery - August is peak holiday season. I would imagine that there are a lot of people who can't put their life on hold for 2 weeks with 2 day's notice and they will end up reassigning lots of cars.

So how did you close the call? It is confirmed that they are going to reassign the VIN for sure?

Also did you already pay the final invoice or not yet?

I still wonder how they can reassign it after someone makes the final payment

From the point they tell me my car is available I'll have to sell my car and arrange train tickets to Edinburgh. It looks like I'll also have to take a day off if they expect me to be there on a weekday.

It's a world away from Skoda who gave me an expected manufacturing date a few days after I ordered my car, explained that it would then take 2 weeks to get to the UK. They called when my car was on the production line, when it was on the boat and again when it arrived at the showroom. They then called to say it was ready and when was convenient for me to come collect it.

Lesson learned here - just say yes when they call and cross your fingers that the dates don't clash.

Maybe because we have the Glovis Champion close behind, the Conductor is now arriving at pier 80 with the destination confirmed as Europe and then people changing spec or holding off for 69 plates I think this is why Tesla believes this delay method is no big deal. The conductor could / should effectively clear our order backlog and it’s not far behind.

Thats a nightmare. I'm self employed myself so I always try to do stuff at weekends. Often you have to wait longer for weekends for all kinds of stuff but its usually possible. I have heard they have very limited storage at the centres so I guess as soon as a transporter rocks up with your car on they want it out of there ASAP. Not great Customer service though.

That sucks.....

Yeah I'm prepared to say "yes" all the way until I get an time slot... If they can do bad coms, I can do bad coms. Pay the final invoice and inform them that I cant make it on the day (if its really impossible).

Not going to tell them I'm on holiday or whatever.

Yeah they were completely unmoved and said they were reassigning. That being said I did have a conversation a few weeks ago when they changed the prices. First they said they absolutely would not change the price on my order and I would have to cancel and reorder then a few hours later sent me a text so say the had adjusted the price !

I haven't paid the final invoice yet. I haven't a "hidden" VIN or the facility to add all the information that they say I should upload there) but they did send me an email with the details of how to pay as well as a final invoice appearing this morning.

Unfortunately I can't access the order summary sheet because of firewall rules here but the details are :

Reserved August 2017
Ordered 1st May 2019
White SR+
Black interior
19" wheels
Delivery centre ; Edinburgh
Invoice number 89xx
Booking invoice 1xx

as soon as a transporter rocks up with your car on they want it out of there ASAP. Not great Customer service though.

Tons of ways to solve that problem. Like renting a parking lot half a mile away to store cars. 1 months long term parking near an airport is only a few hundred pounds, let alone some field... They can easily secure deals. These are 50k cars, I'm sure some storage fee of £100-200 is not going to break the bank.

Assigning the car to someone else over 5 days is a real scummy way of doing things.

Reactions: RjbT3
Tons of ways to solve that problem. Like renting a parking lot half a mile away to store cars. 1 months long term parking near an airport is only a few hundred pounds, let alone some field... They can easily secure deals. These are 50k cars, I'm sure some storage fee of £100-200 is not going to break the bank.

Assigning the car to someone else over 5 days is a real scummy way of doing things.
Don't give them ideas!!! That'll be the next thing. Sure you can delay delivery but it will cost £50 per day.
The irony is you see a lot of stories about people taking their cars in for minor issues and they end up holding on to it for a couple of weeks!

This morning I received a delivery call checking final details and confirming delivery between 8th and 20th August.

They phoned back a few minutes later and said that as I wasn't available for the full delivery window they would have to reassign my VIN to someone else and I would go to the back of the queue. They couldn't give me any more certainty around the delivery date and wouldn't budge on their stated claim on their website that delivery could be rearranged up to a week after the date (I'm only away for 5 days !)

So I'm pretty peed off by this, having reserved 2 years ago and ordered on the 1st of May.

As I'm one of the rare people who ordered 19" wheels and had a delivery estimate I'm left wondering when on earth I'm going to get my car.

I'm now really torn - Tesla have peed me off to the extent that if it was anyone else I would tell them where to stick their car - but also no other car will do at this point !

So be prepared if they call - if you aren't available at any time in their 2 week estimatethey will reassign your car to someone else.

I wonder how they think this is the best way to approach delivery - August is peak holiday season. I would imagine that there are a lot of people who can't put their life on hold for 2 weeks with 2 day's notice and they will end up reassigning lots of cars.

This is entirely inline with what I have to come to expect from Tesla...

There have been occasions when I have entertained cancelling the order. I have also entertained keeping the car for 6 days and then handing it back. But have come to the conclusion they do/would not give a crap. Nothing like this would make the slightest bit of difference to how they treat you or any other customer. Its a reasonably revolutionary product that appears to be pretty good, so, there's is a long line of people that will happily take the cancellation....... Nose, face spite cut....

I am an original reservation holder that ordered a few days after the order book opened. I ordered FSD in full knowledge that it wasn't going to be great on day 1, but by buying thought I was helping invest or in some way contribute to making it happen or making it better. Like being an original reservation holder .......

Subsequent behaviour of Tesla has taught be that reserving was a waste of time, money and emotional investment. So when it came to FSD I thought 'why on earth am I spending all that money on a function that does little now and will likely be cheaper on upgrade down the line'. What goodwill and enthusiasm for Tesla I had, has shrivelled; so I cancelled FSD.

I will no doubt like my M3P. I hope it lives up to expectations and will no doubt will dim the memories of the crappy ordering and delivery experience. I really, really, really hope I don't get a lemon. ...

But I don't think I will ever be 'reserving' another Tesla (or pre-ordering some upgrade) and I will be brutally honest to anybody that asks about my Tesla experience (whilst handing them my referral URL of course...)

edited to remove the many 4 letter rude words....

edited to remove the many 4 letter rude words....

Completely mirrors my sentiment.

But I do hold out hope that the customer service gets better. One of my fears is that the service centers wont cope with the extra cars in UK and I'll get a lemon that's in and out of service centers for months at a time.

Best you can do is hope it aint so...

Pretty brutal treatment! Just a thought - could you not tell them yes you are available and wait to get a confirmed date, chances are it won't be the dates you are away. If it is, just ring them the day before & say you are sick and will be there to collect in 48 hours (after you are back!)