Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery call - WARNING

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couple of questions for anyone who has a final invoice. Did you get the same call as me asking if you wouldn't be available (or am I being picked on ? lol)
Also what is the delivery date on the final invoice - mine (sent before they reallocated) said 21st August which was the day after the last date of my delivery window. Is that a default or when they actually expect(ed) to deliver ?

Yes I got the phone call and an email with final amount but I can't see my final invoice (see my other thread) and the final amount is incorrect.

Interesting. And concerning. It’s basic customer service to agree a delivery date with the customer, not a “take it or leave it” scenario.

I have a new delivery window of 7-20 August but am on holiday so can only pick up between 13-20 August with those dates. I was quite happy with the original window of 17-24 August. If they’re not flexible enough to accommodate when I am available to pick up the £50k car I’ve ordered I’m tempted to tell them to stick it right where the sun don’t shine.

But I won’t. Probably. o_O Grrrr.

Yes, and they will agree to a delivery date. That will be after 10,000 people who CAN pick up there car have gotten theirs and there's no rush anymore. If you had to deliver 10,000 cars, how would you do it?
If someone else is unavailable to pickup their car, then theirs will be unassigned and if it matches your needs, may be reassigned to you.

As the cars start to arrive, I'm assuming that the will arrive at the delivery centers on car carrying trucks. Those about 6 cars, and if they are delivering 50 cars a day, that's 9 truck loads a day. Each and every day until they get the ship load delivered.

This isn't basic customer service. This isn't basic car delivery. This isn't basic buying cars. This is delivery of one of the most anticipated cars with the largest sales in history. Want a car delivered on the day you want, head to any other dealer. Sorry, not bad customer service, it's reality.

And expect your window would have probably gotten smaller, the closer you get to delivery.

Also, while the timeframe is pretty wide, there will be a LOT of people who can pick the car up. With the US Model 3 push, there were a lot of people out of the country during the time, they just fell back in line.

I honestly don't get how *anyone* can guarantee availablity for every day in an arbitrary 12 consecutive day block this side of Christmas. I have at least a couple of things a month that I can't get out of, don't most normal people?

I envy anyone who is able to make a £40k commitment, but doesn't have to make any other life commitments.

Last edited:
"This is delivery of one of the most anticipated cars with the largest sales in history"

Lay off the coolaid.. It's 5000 cars, or about what BMW does in the UK in a week - and it's taken them 4 months to achieve that. It's a nice car but it's not the freaking messiah.

BMW has 5,000 reserved cars in the UK each week? Or are they delivering 5,000 cars to specific dealers, preordered in the hundreds to each dealer? And then customers look on the lot and but what's available? In the states, my understanding is that generally you pick off the lot and that if you specifically ordered on the lot, then it could take months for delivery, but yes, since they do so few, they have more flexibility in storing them.

Reactions: trentbridge
"This is delivery of one of the most anticipated cars with the largest sales in history"

Lay off the coolaid.. It's 5000 cars, or about what BMW does in the UK in a week - and it's taken them 4 months to achieve that. It's a nice car but it's not the freaking messiah.

Ah, but BMW dealers did that last week and the week before, and the week before that. Tesla UK is facing the prospect in the next three weeks of delivering ten times their weekly delivery amount of vehicles. ..from ten a day to a hundred a day - of a vehicle they haven't seen much of before..

Reactions: Peteski and LEE3
BMW has 5,000 reserved cars in the UK each week? Or are they delivering 5,000 cars to specific dealers, preordered in the hundreds to each dealer? And then customers look on the lot and but what's available? In the states, my understanding is that generally you pick off the lot and that if you specifically ordered on the lot, then it could take months for delivery, but yes, since they do so few, they have more flexibility in storing them.

Definitely a big difference delivering to customers or storing in a dealership car park, the amount of inventory they stock pile at each one is often quite a lot.

I understand Tesla has a big job to do - but I still think It’s all going to be an enormous mess.

One thing I forgot to mention was that the delivery window would not narrow - I would get a text 2 days before the delivery date. As Tesla doesn’t have storage space they are completely reliant on a few thousand people being able to book time off work, arrange travel, arrange insurance etc etc with 2 days notice. It will only take a small percentage not being able to do that before the Service centres run out of space.

They’ve had 2 years to work this out.

Reactions: RjbT3 and JanG007
People have lives, and jobs. People with families especially are unlikely to have the flexibility to be able to block out 12 days in any given period on the possibility of a delivery happening. As was remarked earlier this is peak holiday time too, with kids off.

I would suggest that the attitude that their customers have that sort of flexibility is wrong, not the customers themselves. It's not as if they are being difficult, they're just leading typical lives.

I don't have familial dependants but I do have the sort of job where I can't just say "I will need to be off someday in the next 12 days". I have meetings, responsibilities, etc. I don't think people in the market for £50k+ cars are going to be unique in this regard.

yeah but no one can deliver luxury electric cars at the rate tesla is doing. bmw/whoever don’t have the ability (at least yet)

Reactions: Peteski
Yes, and they will agree to a delivery date. That will be after 10,000 people who CAN pick up there car have gotten theirs and there's no rush anymore. If you had to deliver 10,000 cars, how would you do it?
If someone else is unavailable to pickup their car, then theirs will be unassigned and if it matches your needs, may be reassigned to you.

As the cars start to arrive, I'm assuming that the will arrive at the delivery centers on car carrying trucks. Those about 6 cars, and if they are delivering 50 cars a day, that's 9 truck loads a day. Each and every day until they get the ship load delivered.

This isn't basic customer service. This isn't basic car delivery. This isn't basic buying cars. This is delivery of one of the most anticipated cars with the largest sales in history. Want a car delivered on the day you want, head to any other dealer. Sorry, not bad customer service, it's reality.

And expect your window would have probably gotten smaller, the closer you get to delivery.

Also, while the timeframe is pretty wide, there will be a LOT of people who can pick the car up. With the US Model 3 push, there were a lot of people out of the country during the time, they just fell back in line.

I think you’re giving far too much leeway to Tesla here. Yes there is unquestionably high demand for the car. Yes Tesla are innovators and pioneers so things are different. But so are the people who’ve put their trust in the company and committed to paying around £50k for their Model 3.

So I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect Tesla to provide a delivery window (in my case 7-20 August) and to then discuss with the customer which specific date in that delivery window works best for actual collection (in my case 13-20 August due to holidays). If Tesla insist on a date between 7-12 August when I’m out of the country and physically unable to collect, I personally think that would be bang out of order. And I don’t care if there is a queue of people who could pick the car up on those dates. That’s irrelevant in this context. Tesla should provide a delivery window and agree a collection date within that window. Everyone stays happy. Tesla keep their stock moving.

This is another way in which Tesla have got their customers over a barrel. Lots of people will have to take a day off work and make long and possibly expensive journeys to collect their new cars. Some are even having to book a ferry. That's difficult to do without a specific date in advance.

No, I can't suggest an alternative, apart from the fact that Tesla's back office operation is often shambolic and if they improved their efficiency they could improve their delivery experience.

I can't actually remember the last time I bought a car that wasn't delivered to my home at a time that was convenient to me. Yeah, I know - Tesla's model of shipping loads of cars over then getting them out to customers as quickly as possible makes that completely impossible, so don't feel the need to point that out to me!

Reactions: ACarneiro
Don't forget some of us not only have work commitments and family too, we also have to book a plane and a ferry to get over to Edinburgh and back to Belfast, my window is 3rd-10th September, with logistics for flights and boats the only time i can get over factoring everything in is the weekend 7th or 8th September, that NEEDS to work.

Now apart from email I have had no communication and I'm not assuming there will be issues as there seems to be relatively few actually complaining....maybe its only a couple of Tesla delivery people being.... picky.

Anyway, back to tracking some ships......

Reactions: -DB-
This is another way in which Tesla have got their customers over a barrel. Lots of people will have to take a day off work and make long and possibly expensive journeys to collect their new cars. Some are even having to book a ferry. That's difficult to do without a specific date in advance.

No, I can't suggest an alternative, apart from the fact that Tesla's back office operation is often shambolic and if they improved their efficiency they could improve their delivery experience.

I can't actually remember the last time I bought a car that wasn't delivered to my home at a time that was convenient to me. Yeah, I know - Tesla's model of shipping loads of cars over then getting them out to customers as quickly as possible makes that completely impossible, so don't feel the need to point that out to me!

When I couldn't make it to the delivery centre to pick up my Model 3, Tesla did deliver it to my home and at no extra charge. Have you asked?

I honestly don't get how *anyone* can guarantee availablity for every day in an arbitrary 12 consecutive day block this side of Christmas. I have at least a couple of things a month that I can't get out of, don't most normal people?

I envy anyone who is able to make a £40k commitment, but doesn't have to make any other life commitments.
I don't think that it quite the ask that they have.
I think you’re giving far too much leeway to Tesla here. Yes there is unquestionably high demand for the car. Yes Tesla are innovators and pioneers so things are different. But so are the people who’ve put their trust in the company and committed to paying around £50k for their Model 3.

So I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect Tesla to provide a delivery window (in my case 7-20 August) and to then discuss with the customer which specific date in that delivery window works best for actual collection (in my case 13-20 August due to holidays). If Tesla insist on a date between 7-12 August when I’m out of the country and physically unable to collect, I personally think that would be bang out of order. And I don’t care if there is a queue of people who could pick the car up on those dates. That’s irrelevant in this context. Tesla should provide a delivery window and agree a collection date within that window. Everyone stays happy. Tesla keep their stock moving.

Think what you want. Do as you desire. Get your car when it becomes available. Feel free to blame it on bad customer service, but it's just reality.

Type and complain all you want. Tesla's not going to read the forum and magically fix the issue.

And by the way, where did you hear that Tesla has stellar customer service?