Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Cancelled: Software Update Required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery this afternoon for M3 was cancelled because “the car needs a required software update.”

Delivery was rescheduled for tomorrow, then rescheduled for the weekend, now the estimated delivery date is unknown.

Anyone else face a similar issue?

A software update takes 20 minutes. That makes absolutely no sense. Somebody is not telling you the real story.

Could be a "partial" story. "Software update" could mean any software update, including an entire re flash, that didnt take, etc.

I would say that its likely someone is not telling this OP the "whole" story. Its likely that "software update" is true, but software update of what exactly? As you mention a simple consumer facing software update doesnt take that long, but we have seen reports of cars that wouldnt take hw3 software updates requiring re flashing, etc.

Reactions: usujason
OP, if I was you, I would tell your delivery advisor (politely) that you are being severely inconvenienced with the moving delivery dates, as you had to take time off work to schedule it, etc and see if they can compensate you somehow (with a free wall connector or something... thats what I would ask for).

If you are not rude, but "explanatory" about the "lost time and having to re schedule" you might be able to talk them into something. I would also want to know "can you tell me a little more about a software update that takes several days to install"?

Could be a "partial" story. "Software update" could mean any software update, including an entire re flash, that didnt take, etc.

I would say that its likely someone is not telling this OP the "whole" story. Its likely that "software update" is true, but software update of what exactly? As you mention a simple consumer facing software update doesnt take that long, but we have seen reports of cars that wouldnt take hw3 software updates requiring re flashing, etc.

i did order FSD so maybe it didn’t pass a QA check at the delivery center re: hw3

Hardware computer problems are difficult to accept. Tesla probably tried multiple updates that did not complete. the car likely needs a new HW3 computer. That can take a day to install if there is one available.

Loose Cable connections are the next likely candidate. They are also hard to track down. If both hardware problems happen in the same car, it could take a few days to fix. Not a serious issue but a nightmare to fix.

• Helpful
Hardware computer problems are difficult to accept. Tesla probably tried multiple updates that did not complete. the car likely needs a new HW3 computer. That can take a day to install if there is one available.

Loose Cable connections are the next likely candidate. They are also hard to track down. If both hardware problems happen in the same car, it could take a few days to fix. Not a serious issue but a nightmare to fix.

No doubt... but neither of those is "we need to update the software on your car so we will be re scheduling your delivery to some indeterminate time in the future".

I am not saying OP should run for the hills in any way, shape or form, but If it were me, I would want to know what is going on, and "software update" is likely true... with some of the other stuff you mentioned. I would want to know, is all.

No doubt... but neither of those is "we need to update the software on your car so we will be re scheduling your delivery to some indeterminate time in the future".

I am not saying OP should run for the hills in any way, shape or form, but If it were me, I would want to know what is going on, and "software update" is likely true... with some of the other stuff you mentioned. I would want to know, is all.

I actually wonder if it's related to the advertised range.

Model S/X deliveries were held up the last few weeks while they got the software updated to match the advertised ranges. (356 mi on Model X, as I recall?)

Could it be something similar here?

Normally occam's razor applies - the simplest explanation is most likely.

Reactions: karmamule
Just got a call from my SA and they said the exact same thing. Software issue and it's in the service center right now.

Was scheduled to pick it up 3/14 but now they said it will take a week to fix it.

SA knew I didnt have a car and offered to match me to another car, but they all had upgraded features that I dont particularly want to pay extra for.
(I asked if I could get them for free but SA said no. Maybe when I take delivery I can ask for a better deal.)

Am in NJ, ordered LR AWD if it makes a difference.

Just got a call from my SA and they said the exact same thing. Software issue and it's in the service center right now.

Was scheduled to pick it up 3/14 but now they said it will take a week to fix it.

SA knew I didnt have a car and offered to match me to another car, but they all had upgraded features that I dont particularly want to pay extra for.
(I asked if I could get them for free but SA said no. Maybe when I take delivery I can ask for a better deal.)

Am in NJ, ordered LR AWD if it makes a difference.

Thank you so much for the feedback, sorry you are having to deal with what sounds like a very similar issue. I got a text from my SA this morning saying "I haven't seen any update just yet other than it's a software issue. Hopefully I will have an update soon. I am on the look out for another vehicle to match you to as well. I can assure you that it is not a serious defect."

I'm in Utah, LR AWD with FSD. And i also asked for a free acceleration boost for having to deal with the inconvenience There is probably about a 0% chance that they would give that to me.

Hopefully our waits will end soon with a high quality car.

A good number of people have said they were having software update issues with the recent 2020.8.0 update, which was quickly updated to 2020.8.1 and some download/install issues were still around, but the 8.1 update should have corrected those initial issues from a couple of days ago.

Not saying that your car is having this same problem, as it could be something completely different (possibly hardware-related), but just throwing that out there as one possibility.

• Informative
Might just be me but, how does a “software issue” take that long to fix? Everyone of my software updates take a max of 30 minutes. Sounds more like a “hardware issue” that maybe preventing the software download??

Not sure if you will ever find out but as long as they get it working all will be good:)

My delivery appointment (in-person at the local service center) was delayed by several hours due to "software update issues". It had something to do with them having to phone back home to the mothership to authorize an update to the car, etc.

This was back when Model 3's were piled up in local storage lots for weeks at a time (maybe longer), waiting for someone to purchase them. My car has a birthday of 12/31/2018, but I took delivery on 3/1/19. I spent like 5 hours at the service center on delivery day.

In the end, I think something was botched with the update, as my MCU cooked itself to failure a week later and needed to be replaced. A rocky start with the car, but smooth sailing since.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AZjohnInCA
Just asked the SA at Paramus NJ what was going on with the car exactly, and they said there was some firmware that didn't go through correctly and she said it might be a hardware issue. She wasn't sure of the specifics. Said I could call the service center and see if they would tell me more but warned me I probably wouldn't get anywhere with that.

Called service center, no one picked up. Left a message to call back.

SUDDENLY, I get a text saying my vehichle is ready for delivery and can be picked up March 14th! I was super surprised and happy, but I had a gut feeling and wanted to make sure, so I called in immediately and checked my VIN at the same time. Lo and behold I got a new VIN, but when I called in they actually had assigned me a vin of a car still in the factory and that it wouldn't be ready till March 28th.

Seems like someone accidentally removed the vin from my account, and the system automatically placed me with a new one.

So overall, I was scheduled for delivery this Saturday 3/14, delayed 1 week-ish, then the next day delayed to up to 2 weeks.

Hopefully they fix the situation and the service center can fix my original car earlier than expected. Being without a car is a major hindrance on my parents (borrowing their car) and friends. GL To everyone else though. Read a lot of people are getting their deliveries this week in NJ. Happy days for most ;P

I just received my text today that my vehicle has arrived in Orlando. I called, scheduled my appointment and received a separate email with a different date/time for pickup. I called to ask what was going on and they said my vehicle has a “service hold, could be a required software update.” They couldn’t tell me exactly why, which I thought was odd. They said they will know more tomorrow. I’m thinking it is a software update after reading this post...

That’s gotta one part of their “build fast, fix later” approach. Mine also had 2019.35.108 and from the build perspective they know the car will work so why risk a software update and nerf the car on the production line?? Let the service centers deal with it!!
Exactly. Not even service center. The car automatically does it after a week or so. Keeping it simple.

Reactions: IDRVSLO