Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery chaos continues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are thousands of customers in the UK who ordered a Model 3 at the beginning of May who have not received their cars and two months later have no reliable delivery estimate. Tesla seems incapable of matching orders to production. Many no longer believe anything Tesla say with the only reliable indicator you are actually going to get your car is the text with date, time and location to collect your car.

Tesla still has unbelievable delivery dates for cars ordered today and is now prioritising new customers over those who have ordered. If you have ordered a car, you are at the back of the queue for a test drive.

There is either a level of arrogance or incompetence which is surprising for a company that has such huge support, primarily from the very customers who Tesla has failed. Tesla is either ignorant of its failures or just does not care. There have been no apologies issued.

All of this was unnecessary. They have a great product with amazing cars, a service centre concept and Superchargers that are the envy of the big car manufacturers. Had they given delivery estimates of 4-6 months, it would still be quicker than most other EV's available and would have no impact on orders, many have been waiting for three years.

Come on Tesla, let's see your innovative approach and get the delivery dates sorted, apologise and offer at least a years supercharging for those who ordered in May.

8 posts all complaining about delivery. Time to get over it or cancel your order and buy something else.
Hold on.

I think the OP is within his/her rights to complain.

Nobody on here (I hope) actually expected a ‘end of june’ delivery realistically. We all know how Tesla works.

However, I think Tesla should have been transparent and simply put: Delivery Estimate: October 2019

Not sure anybody would’ve minded that.

It’s never good for customer service to over promise. Much better to be conservative then when you get a text in August, you’ll be happy not disappointed

If you've already ordered, why would they want to give you a test drive? The whole point of a test drive is to entice potential new customers, not people who have already ordered.
Because many are so fed up with the way they are being treated by Tesla they are cancelling their orders. I think it is worth the wait and don't think a test drive would make any difference. However, for some, it may help confirm they have made a good decision and hold on rather than cancel. At the moment Tesla cannot fulfil its existing orders and could be many months before people who ordered in May get their cars.

Hold on.

I think the OP is within his/her rights to complain.

Nobody on here (I hope) actually expected a ‘end of june’ delivery realistically. We all know how Tesla works.

However, I think Tesla should have been transparent and simply put: Delivery Estimate: October 2019

Not sure anybody would’ve minded that.

It’s never good for customer service to over promise. Much better to be conservative then when you get a text in August, you’ll be happy not disappointed

Yes I agree, but do we really need yet another thread complaining about delivery? Has this not been complained about to death already in multiple threads? The OP has had literally nothing else to say in 8 posts and 2 threads. I guess some people just like to complain and blow things out of proportion.

I happen to think Tesla have handled the uk deliveries badly too, but I managed to get over it after a couple of posts, lol.

Because many are so fed up with the way they are being treated by Tesla they are cancelling their orders. I think it is worth the wait and don't think a test drive would make any difference. However, for some, it may help confirm they have made a good decision and hold on rather than cancel. At the moment Tesla cannot fulfil its existing orders and could be many months before people who ordered in May get their cars.

Haven't heard about many people cancelling their orders, not even you!

Reactions: Rooster6655
The wait is hugley frustrating, especially if you were an early-bird reserveration holder from 3+ years ago.

The website has been pants at managing delivery expectations - agreed.

When I spoke to the SC staff in Bristol in early May they suggested a Jul/Aug timeframe (website was showing June estimate in May). Based on the info we seem to getting from Tesla SC's (texts/emails etc), searching for VINs in source code and folks monitoring the world-wide movement of ships and cargo it seems (at this time at least) most of the inital 5-6K orders are likely to get fulfilled by the end of August. So not long to go peeps!

After this intial peak demand has been fulfilled I can see orders for M3 dropping to a trickle... unless the advertising generated by the 6K or so M3 drivers on UK roads causes interest to pick up.

Tesla seems incapable of matching orders to production.

Tesla announced in Q1, and again referred to it in Q2 report, that they now match VINs to orders close to delivery so that they can move cars around to maximise cash flow

Many no longer believe anything Tesla say

Nothing new there, that has always been the case. Tesla COMMs is dreadful, always has been.

now prioritising new customers over those who have ordered

I reckon that is bull. Tesla have always prioritised existing owners (dunno if behind reservation holders, possibly not). A walk-in-off street order will definitely be prioritised if it is for an option combination that is available ex-stock and does not have back orders (and, rightly or wrongly, Tesla "delivery date" is based on what they can achieve for any unloved options combination that they have lying around)

other than that Tesla have publicly stated that Reservation Holders are prioritised in the queue

If you ordered a popular combination, and (as it turns out) from a delivery centre that wasn't Heathrow, then your wait is longer. By good fortune (and nothing else) I picked a model/colour that has turned out to be less popular, and also selected Heathrow ... the whole process was a complete shambles, but as an existing owner I had exactly that expectation and was not phased by paying them against an invoice which had actually been cancelled, not knowing if they had got the money, if they actually had a car for me ... and so on.

If you have ordered a car, you are at the back of the queue for a test drive

My M3 has been delivered. I have a test drive booked, the salesman knows my next purchase date which is "no time soon".

All of this was unnecessary

No disagreement there. But it is what it is. Lots of speculation as to why "Growing pains", "cost reduction", take your pick ... but all you can do is put up with it; whilst we can all hope that it changes, soon, but given there is nothing new here either Tesla are working on a solution, and it is just not yet rolled out (big back office computer projects are not overnight-fixes) or they have business reasons for not having done it.

apologise

using what resource? and at what cost diverting that from core business? I don't have sympathy with them, but I can envisage situations where it makes business sense. Pretty much everyone will be well chuffed when they get the car and forget about the COMMS and Backoffice hassles - so decision could be "Fix everything else first"

I think Tesla should have been transparent and simply put: Delivery Estimate: October 2019

I got my car in June ...

I think it is worth the wait and don't think a test drive would make any difference

If you take a test drive you can't return the car for refund (first week / 1.000 miles) [not sure that makes any difference to anything though ...]

Haven't heard about many people cancelling their orders, not even you!

If there is anyone, who is still following the forums, it would be good to hear from them.

I reckon there must have been some Reservation Holders who gave up when SR- was not made available (yet)

There are thousands of customers in the UK who ordered a Model 3 at the beginning of May who have not received their cars and two months later have no reliable delivery estimate.

Yeah, all of us are in the same boat so to speak. Would be nice to just get an official announcement. Even "the boat is due to leave SF in 2 weeks and arrive Sep 1st" would do....

Reactions: GraemeS and goRt
Even "the boat is due to leave SF in 2 weeks and arrive Sep 1st" would do....

They used to update My Tesla with that sort of status. It was always behind-the-actual, so best guess was that it was all done manually

Clearly not sustainable ...

I build Back office systems for a living. We do a really good job and have all sorts of slick cool stuff ... just like the sorts of things peple are talking about ... so I have no comprehension why Tesla have not done this yet. Even if they are about to rollout a solution it has been donkey's years since it was obvious that it was needed ...

• Love
Reactions: GraemeS and GreenT
Looks like policy has changed ... Googling the Press there were times when its was 3 days for a refund, but one day if a test drive had been had (Feb 2019 news) then on 27-March:

"Buyers will now be able to return a car within seven days (or before 1,000 miles) for a full refund regardless of whether or not they have taken a test drive with the company, contrary to the language that was on the company’s website before Wednesday."

so either your conversation was pre-April or Tesla staff not got updated since ...

Constantly changing from foot-to-foot makes it impossible for the company to provide consistent service (which other mature companies achieve by putting a lot more time, thought and money into that issue)

Reactions: GreenT
I have no comprehension why Tesla have not done this yet

They don't have any sort of customer facing upper management with a budget? Probably because Elon (and the people he hired / keeps hired) thinks it's not important.

Maybe some boffin calculated they would only lose 1% sales and there is too much demand to satisfy all sales anyway so there is no point spending money on it?

They literally tried to close most customer facing "showrooms" earlier this year. So clearly they think they can treat people however they like and still get a sale.