Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This just amazes me. I've picked up my Corvette at the factory. I've been to BMW, Mecedes, VW plants in Germany. All had QC as it rolled out the door , defects were rolled back into redo area. Just seems u r correct, rollum baby, get them gone, dam the fit and finish.

Reactions: forumer
Assembled from various check lists on the Internet plus some additions:

Model 3 Delivery Check List

Main
 Compare the actual VIN with the VIN on your paperwork (physical and in the car)
 Ensure correct color and wheels and dual motor
 Inspect the entire vehicle for damage
 Inspect wheels, rims and underside for damage in transportation (check next to the jack points)
 Check all glass surfaces for cracks or misalignment
 Surfaces (and underside) are free of scuffs, marks, abrasions, or smudges (dash, consoler, screen)
 Paint is not scratched or “folded”, runs, drips – also in hidden places, and chromes
 All panels are aligned & flush, no huge gaps or misalignments
 Consistent gaps, alignment of tail lights, charge port, trunk to light, hood, head lights, bumpers
 Open and close all doors, the trunk, and the frunk to make sure they are functioning properly
 Look for any error messages on the main display screen
 Sit in all seats in the car and look around
 Plug and ensure car is receiving a charge
 Check that the App works
 Ask to double check and make sure that your car is listed as “delivered” in the Tesla network.
 Both key cards work on the B-pillar

Fit & Finish
 Frunk gap/sag, makes sure its no more than 4mm
 Front and rear lights are flush with hood/trunk/panels
 Glass roof panels are aligned and show no sign of potential leaks
 Front/Rear lights are free of condensation
 Inspect seat upholstery, stiches, carpets, and headliners for damage and/ or stains
 Glass roof panels are aligned
 Interior liner is properly sealed & not “hanging”
 Charge port door sits flush and moves freely, opens consistently
 Check all seat belts to ensure they are working properly
 Rear seats fold down properly
 Test the driver and passenger doors emergency release function
 Open and close all four windows
 Both front door emergency handles work
 Both front seats don’t squeak when moving (check all directions of motion) OR folding (for rear)
 Side mirrors make minimal noise when shifting from state to state
 Doors open from inside

Accessories
 Accessories under frunk mat are present
 Check the following items in your mobile charging kit to ensure that they are working properly:
o NEMA 240v adapter
o Generation 2 mobile connector and cable
o J1772 adapter
 Owner’s manual in the glovebox
 Tow hook
 Emergency kit
 Make sure that there is a towing eye under the mat in the frunk

Other
 Test the windshield wipers
 Check to ensure the rear-view camera works
 Turn on the sound system and make sure all speakers are working
 Test the steering wheel controls to make sure they are functioning properly
 All front & rear lights work (emergency, turn signals, brakes, hi-beams/fog,
 up/down adjustment from touch screen)
 Press the horn in the center of the steering wheel down to test
 Check the rear-view mirrors to ensure the controls are functional and they fold properly
 Steering wheel adjustments
 Seats adjustments
 Check glove box opens
 Check Radio and streaming
 Pair your phone(s) to your car using the Bluetooth system and make sure you can play audio
 Test both key cards to ensure they are functioning properly
 USB ports front/rear and 12v ports
 After turning your car on, listen for any strange sounds.
 All windows go up/down without noise or issues, no black “goop”
 Make sure AC/Heat works at full power without strange noises – front and rear, all vents, seat warmers
 All interior button functionality works, especially dome lights & emergency
 Phone bluetooth connectivity as primary key works
 All phone app functions work (unlocking, preconditioning, etc)
 Each of the Mobile Connector adapters charge, latch and unlatch
 Make sure both AC and DC plugs work
 Microphone picks up good audio (call a friend with the Model 3 dialer)
 All speakers emit sound, no audio “clipping”

I saw how Tesla sales are dropping in Norway. Someone tweeted that Norwegians are unwilling to trade build quality for “two seconds of acceleration and fart noises.” Have they gotten a handle in quality control yet?

I had cancelled my order because of all the poor quality reports and the difficulties owners are having getting rectification appointments. I would like to replace it when I know I won’t have to make repeated trips for service.

What did you find? Is the quality improving from the 1Q and 2Q reports?
Unfortunately it's not getting better yet. I've rejected two so far. This is my findings for the first. Didn't even bother with the second, as the paint had scratches and dings all over and would need part replacements or repainting.
I actually test drove one pre covid shut down Q1 and it was perfect! Post factory reopening Q2 seem to be the ones with issues.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.png
    IMG_0038.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0039.png
    IMG_0039.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0040.png
    IMG_0040.png
    400.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0041.png
    IMG_0041.png
    339.6 KB · Views: 215
Unfortunately it's not getting better yet. I've rejected two so far. This is my findings for the first. Didn't even bother with the second, as the paint had scratches and dings all over and would need part replacements or repainting.
I actually test drove one pre covid shut down Q1 and it was perfect! Post factory reopening Q2 seem to be the ones with issues.
Thank you.

What were the VIN ranges of the two you declined? I’m curious how far the new VINs have come.

As an FYI, here are the problems I found upon delivery. I already have a mobile service appointment scheduled to correct these (see photos):

- Tail light lens incorrectly installed
- Bottom body trim incorrectly installed (front part)
- Defect in driver side window trim
- Missing cap over windshield wiper nut
- Scratch on dash

View attachment 548819
View attachment 548820
View attachment 548821
View attachment 548822

How did the mobile fix go? Hopefully it has happened by now

I was very concerned and busy with these quality issues before getting my M3. Did a lot of research, made check lists and indeed found a few issue. Have to say that at the end, the issues are not a big deal and few thousands kilometers later, I am very happy with the car. Tesla's probably have lots of fit and finish issues, but they are still fantastic cars. Don't waste your time on this.

Reactions: Dennisis