Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I prepare for my delivery in a few weeks I've been reading nearly every thread on this site (obviously). I've been compiling a list things I'm planning on verifying/checking/inspecting at the SC when I go for pickup. I'm willing to keep this first post updated with a list of items provided from the communtity and their experiences, and hopefully provide new owners with a comprehensive checklist for their reference when they take delivery. Who knows....if this proves useful maybe this could become a sticky someday.

...what else...

Agree, great book. It helps you last through the delivery wait. It also has instructions on configuring and buying, if you want to read it before confirming. I ordered his book before I bought it, but couldn't wait for it to arrive before confirming.

Ask them if they put the car up on a rack when they did their final inspection. They did not do so with my car when I picked it up two weeks ago, and some bolts were loose or missing. I got 18 miles from the service center and the rear panel under the car fell off and began dragging on the freeway. I had to be towed back to the service center so they could put a new panel on and bolt it tight.

I strongly recommend typing out your questions ahead of time, and then handing it to the person giving you the walkthrough. I was not mentally prepared to ask all my questions, and when asked if I had anymore, blanked, and then decided I was in fine shape. The one that I forgot to ask was,

"Can you demonstrate how to close the frunk?"

It requires a lot more force to close than I thought.

I will comment more later on, but at least from my pick-up, there is a lot of stuff there that we didn't cover, nor did it seem like we would. Especially the test drive portion. Once you're driving off the lot, the delivery is over.

My order went like this
walk over to new car
hand me the two keys and the covers
open trunk and show me the bag with the charging adapters
I sit down in the driver seat, set up personal driver settings
walkthrough of touchscreen
goodbye and good luck.

We were not near enough to a charger to test the charging functionality, although they had topped it off before giving it to me. However, I would say this is a must demo feature, since I was quite confused my first time.

Also, open and close the frunk for me, and watch me do it once! That way, you can't complain that I "punched it closed", which is what I was told caused the frunk dent.

I'll post more comments when I have some time.

Last edited:
It will be very difficult to test:
Car charges @ proper rate
Homelink (not worth it to bring garage door opener, since you can't test it)
Tire Pressure (unless you bring your Tire Pressure Gauge as noted on the first page)
12V battery full
Heater or AC (depending on temperature. If it's hot, difficult to test Heat, vice versa for cold)
Supercharger enabled (I still don't know if mine is enabled, but I assume it is)
Dual Chargers (Similarly, I've never seen anything to prove this to me)

Other notes:
Front License Plate holder (was not provided for me)

It will be very difficult to test:
Car charges @ proper rate
Homelink (not worth it to bring garage door opener, since you can't test it)
Tire Pressure (unless you bring your Tire Pressure Gauge as noted on the first page)
12V battery full
Heater or AC (depending on temperature. If it's hot, difficult to test Heat, vice versa for cold)
Supercharger enabled (I still don't know if mine is enabled, but I assume it is)
Dual Chargers (Similarly, I've never seen anything to prove this to me)

Other notes:
Front License Plate holder (was not provided for me)

I think a number of the things (and in particularly what you highlighted) on that list are to do shortly after delivery.

Heater and AC aren't hard to test regardless of temperature. Set to LOW or HI and you should be able to tell if it's working.

Supercharger and Dual Chargers can be confirmed at home once you have app access with VisibleTesla (Overview tab, Details button).

I'd concentrate on cosmetic damage that Tesla would be less likely to believe they delivered a car with. I had a smudge on my visor (that I'd missed during delivery) and they were somewhat skeptical it was there when I took delivery, but they managed to clean it. Things like the car not charging right, homelink not working, climate control, supercharger, dual charger are likely to be very easy to get them to fix if they got it wrong.

I think a number of the things (and in particularly what you highlighted) on that list are to do shortly after delivery.

Heater and AC aren't hard to test regardless of temperature. Set to LOW or HI and you should be able to tell if it's working.

Supercharger and Dual Chargers can be confirmed at home once you have app access with VisibleTesla (Overview tab, Details button).

I'd concentrate on cosmetic damage that Tesla would be less likely to believe they delivered a car with. I had a smudge on my visor (that I'd missed during delivery) and they were somewhat skeptical it was there when I took delivery, but they managed to clean it. Things like the car not charging right, homelink not working, climate control, supercharger, dual charger are likely to be very easy to get them to fix if they got it wrong.

I agree, although things missed at delivery can be difficult to figure out after the fact.

My 90D was delivered without cellular connectivity last weekend. I did not discover this because the car was connected to Tesla's WiFi system during the delivery. I suggest shutting off the WiFi during delivery (touch the WiFi antenna on the top row of the screen and go to settings) to make sure that the LTE shows up and works. See New Car - No Cellular Data? for a potential fix.

Also, my advisor helped me connect my phone to Bluetooth and download my contacts. However, I didn't check to make sure that ALL of my contacts downloaded. Mine stopped at "P" and I haven't figured out how do add Q-Z even after repeated attempts. Mystery!

Overall, however, these checklists are very helpful.

These delivery checklists are helpful. I wish I had one when I picked up my S. But, even with a list, I would have missed a small item that I found a few days later. In my experience, Tesla was easy to work with on getting it repaired. I was expecting them to tell me it was small (a dashboard alignment issue) and to go away -- any other car dealer would have. Tesla didn't. So don't stress yourself out with a huge list, just enjoy getting the car and have confidence that anything wrong is going to be made right without much struggle.

I'm picking up my S90D on Saturday and I wanted to put together a list of things I want to check prior to signing. I looked at the list that Nick Howe provided at Tesla Model S Buyers', Delivery and Owners' Guide but wanted something that was updated for the current model S and was organized in the order you'd probably perform the checks in. Here's what I came up with (borrowing heavily from Nick's document): Tesla Delivery Checklist - Google Docs.

Comments? Corrections?

I also sat with the service associate and asked a bunch of questions. I'm not 100% sure I got the real answers. Typical Tesla, I think he made some up (answers given to me below. Your response may vary):
1. Is it true that tire rotations are free every 5,000 miles (no you have to pay. How much? I don't know)
2. Is alignment included in the annual service (We may check it, but if it needs to be aligned you have to pay)
3. Do I really need the annual service (no, the odd year ones are minor, you can just live with the even year ones)
4. If I put after market rims and tires are is it true you guys won't touch my car (Technically yes)
5. Can I a full service record for the car. I don't care who the prior owner was (No but I'll read stuff to you that's on the system)
6. Is it true CPOs don't count for an ESA (Yes, no ESA is available for CPOs)