Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Date and Timing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery date is scheduled for December. How long after receiving notification do I have to take delivery. Can I finish all the requirements for delivery but actually take delivery in 2023 will I be able to take the new tax credit?

My delivery date is scheduled for December. How long after receiving notification do I have to take delivery. Can I finish all the requirements for delivery but actually take delivery in 2023 will I be able to take the new tax credit?
I think there's a lot of uncertainty regarding this.

Regarding the notification = solid delivery date, looking at the posts in the forum and my own experience, it varies. My EDD have changed more ways than I care to remember. It wasn't until it locked in a random delivery date that I didn't select, locked it in with a delivery time that I didn't select, did I know it's actually going to be delivering on that day. It might be different for you but I didn't have any options to move the delivery date. I probably could have contacted an SA and tell them I need to reschedule but seems like Tesla is pushing for delivery so YMMV.

You can finish some of the requirements prior to delivery but things like loan/insurance will require a VIN and I kid you not, they gave me 2.5 days after I got my VIN to having the car delivered. It wasn't the 2 weeks window that some folks discussed. I don't even know what the normal window is after VIN to delivery nowadays as that also varies.

Upvote 0

My timeline was FAST once I got a VIN. I got a VIN last Monday (31st), got notified to schedule delivery later that same day and that I had 3 days to choose from, the max being Saturday (5th). I got text messages on the 1st that I had until 4pm on the 2nd to schedule delivery or my car may be assigned to someone else. We took delivery on the 4th.

Reactions: Evpowerdan
Upvote 0
Tesla's delivery process is pretty inflexible and rude. My experience was that I got a text message saying, essentially: "Congratulations! Your delivery is approaching." (of course, with no expected date). About a week later I got another text message and an e-mail telling me to login and schedule my delivery date. I did that and I was given a three day window with dates that Tesla chose, not me, to take delivery. At that point the VIN was assigned. I was told that if I couldn't accept that date window then my order would be put back into the delivery queue with no predictable fulfillment date. Some time in the unpredictable future, the entire process would start again. If the date window that Tesla picked for this second go around was still not workable for me, my order would be cancelled. In order for me to fit within their window I had to cancel/reschedule another appointment. I've talked with several of my Tesla-owning neighbors and they all received the same treatment (at least Tesla treats everyone equally poorly). If it at all matters, I took delivery of my Model Y on 19 October 2022, about one year after I initially placed my order.

Upvote 0
You have three days to pick up your car otherwise it goes to someone else and you go on the naughty list. You can reorder in Jan and catch the backlogged vehicles Tesla is sure to have. The final touches are being put on the tax credit; certainly, you don't want to miss out on the $7500 credit unless you ordered your vehicle a long, long time ago at a much lower price. I canceled mine. Losing $250 is better than losing $7500. For the $7500 you save, you can upgrade to a Performance 3 or Y and get it in a few weeks.

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong -- I was Very Happy to take delivery of my Model Y after having waited for about one year for order fulfillment. My only gripe is that I needed just one more day (either before or after the Tesla imposed window) to avoid having to reschedule a medical appointment. I called Tesla to attempt to get this accomplished, however, they wouldn't budge. I wasn't trying to do anything related to the tax credits, i.e., deferring delivery to 2023. I think Tesla could and should have been more cooperative.

Upvote 0
I got an SMS yesterday that says "We are expecting your vehicle to enter production and be ready for delivery very soon....." I checked on the app and the EDD has been moved up to Nov 12 - Nov 22 instead of Nov 31 - Dec 31 a few weeks ago (of course this has been changed many times and I no longer care either...) - How much longer I have to wait for actual delivery after receiving this SMS? What's your experience? (I called them a while back and opt to do a pick-up in their Fremont location, I'm old fashioned LOL.)

Upvote 0
I'm scheduled for an EDD of Dec. 23-31. I recently asked my SA what happens if it arrives on Dec. 30th? I was told I would absolutely need to pick it up on the 30th or the 31st or I would lose the car. Nice. What would I tell my boss at work? "I need to leave this very minute" to pick up a car? (and lose maybe $7,500). And wreck my job? Even nicer. Really really hoping the transport will be delayed somehow and a 2023 pickup somehow happens. But luck doesn't work that way.

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong -- I was Very Happy to take delivery of my Model Y after having waited for about one year for order fulfillment. My only gripe is that I needed just one more day (either before or after the Tesla imposed window) to avoid having to reschedule a medical appointment. I called Tesla to attempt to get this accomplished, however, they wouldn't budge. I wasn't trying to do anything related to the tax credits, i.e., deferring delivery to 2023. I think Tesla could and should have been more cooperative.
They are extremely firm on the three days. You might have an easier time changing your medical appointment.

I got a delivery window on my Model YP of May 23 to 30. I was returning from Thailand on the 29th and was concerned that if the vehicle arrived on May 23-to 26, I would be outside of the pick-up window. I pleaded my case to no avail. I said, "But this is my eighth Tesla!!" Their response, "So?"
Fortunately, the vehicle arrived on the 29th and I picked it up on the 31st, after a flight cancellation and overnight at JFK.

So.....So...So? The rigidity is unacceptable customer service as far as I am concerned. SO, I canceled my 2023 Model Y order and sold most of my TSLA stock before the fall. Go ahead, hurt me some more. I know, they don't care, but it sure made me feel better. They can get away with this crap now, but as the competition heats up, perhaps they will relook their customer service. Remember, OBJECTS IN THE REAR VIEW MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR.

• Funny
Reactions: c3nsored and ord3r
Upvote 0
^ and ^^. Yup. Even when the money is in the bank it can take a few days (over a weekend) to get a bank check made out. Or to notify the insurance company and get the call back confirmation from them that they know there's a new car to cover. In fact, I was told two days, not three.

Upvote 0
I just got the VIN! The scheduling window is this Sat or Sun (Nov 11 and 12)..... Not sure if I can talk them out and move to Monday (Nov 13) instead...

Not sure my bank has enough time to send them the cheque.... (pre-approved and locked rate)

Upvote 0
On 11/9/22 I finally got the text message from Tesla saying that my car will be ready in a few weeks. It has been six months since I placed my order. I guess that's not too bad considering that some have waited over a year for their MYLR. As of this post it has been only 12 hours since the text so I still don't have a VIN or narrowed-down EDD. I'm wondering if I should get the Cashier's Check cut now or wait a bit longer?

Upvote 0
You have three days to pick up your car otherwise it goes to someone else and you go on the naughty list. You can reorder in Jan and catch the backlogged vehicles Tesla is sure to have. The final touches are being put on the tax credit; certainly, you don't want to miss out on the $7500 credit unless you ordered your vehicle a long, long time ago at a much lower price. I canceled mine. Losing $250 is better than losing $7500. For the $7500 you save, you can upgrade to a Performance 3 or Y and get it in a few weeks.

What was the new price you ordered for? If I cancel my order that has the pre-hiked price, if I re-order again, it will be a wash between new price MYLR and the tax credit - plus I will lost 250 order fee from the old order, and also without the mobile charger.

Upvote 0
If someone were financing through a 3rd party lender, three day's notice to get the cashier's check cut may not be enough.
Depends if you can go to the local to get the check. I applied for the loan and got pre approval. Once I had my delivery date, I went to bank to complete the loan process and they issued the check on the spot. But the pre-approval part could take 2-3 days to get approval but mine was instant approval.

Upvote 0