Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery date moved way up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason is simple. The people who can wait are cancelling their orders in hopes of getting their cars with more updates as well as higher tax breaks/incentives.
I’m not doing it for any tax breaks or incentives.
I've had three VINs assigned now. I initially ordered in May then went under contract on a house and needed to hold my order until the house closed. The hold came off on Oct 1 and I figured I was ok, then got notice of a VIN assignement and delivery of Oct 22, ahead of closing. So I released the VIN and went back on hold. Nov 1 they took me off hold and again i figured i would be ok for late november closing, and again a VIN was assigned with delivery before closing, so back on hold. We finally closed on NOv 22 and i took the car off hold. Initially the app said i had a delivery date of Jan15-Feb 14. Two days later I had a VIN and will be taking delivery on Monday. The SA told me that if i put it on hold again to take advantage of the credit i would likely get cancelled and lose my deposit. People putting their cars on hold is also likely the reason for the nearly immediate VIN assignments, according to the SA.

I chose to keep this VIN because my purchase price from May compared to the new price and late CY22 delivery for a new order would mean that the tax credit would almost be a wash vs my contract price now.

food for thought.
How were you putting yours on hold? I wish there was the option to do that right in my Tesla account. When you put yours on hold did it actually say “on hold” in your account/app?

I’m not doing it for any tax breaks or incentives.

How were you putting yours on hold? I wish there was the option to do that right in my Tesla account. When you put yours on hold did it actually say “on hold” in your account/app?
Oh, I should have elaborated on the tax break/incentive. There is a possibility of huge tax rebates (equalling the recent price increase or more of $8000+) if Pres. Biden's Bill passes in the Senate.

I said it once and I'll say it again.... betting on a controversial bill to pass the 50/50 senate is a risky bet. The R's are voting in solidarity as they pretty much always do. The D's have a couple of hold outs, one of which is a coal investor... EV tax credits will be a highly contentious issue. When it comes down to it, its likely one of the few things up for debate that will likely get changed before (if) the BBB passes.

One thing is for certain, the R's dont want to give Biden a win before xmas so you can pretty much guarantee its not passing this month. That puts us into next year. My guess is concessions will be made, the values will go down, and it will only apply to vehicles sold after the bill was enacted. Just my $0.02

Reactions: morbidz
I said it once and I'll say it again.... betting on a controversial bill to pass the 50/50 senate is a risky bet. The R's are voting in solidarity as they pretty much always do. The D's have a couple of hold outs, one of which is a coal investor... EV tax credits will be a highly contentious issue. When it comes down to it, its likely one of the few things up for debate that will likely get changed before (if) the BBB passes.

One thing is for certain, the R's dont want to give Biden a win before xmas so you can pretty much guarantee its not passing this month. That puts us into next year. My guess is concessions will be made, the values will go down, and it will only apply to vehicles sold after the bill was enacted. Just my $0.02

I don't see the EV tax credits being that contentious (except union or made in the US rule). It's the size/cost of BBB which can be resolved if trimmed but might make it gutless. The CBO scored the EV tax credit cost to be fairly low ($55M in first year - which is crazy low).

I don't see the EV tax credits being that contentious (except union or made in the US rule). It's the size/cost of BBB which can be resolved if trimmed but might make it gutless. The CBO scored the EV tax credit cost to be fairly low ($55M in first year - which is crazy low).
Any disagreement is likely to draw out the process is all I'm saying. That is a disagreement on the EV tax credi,t so concessions are likely to happen in one form or another and the chances of it passing this year are getting exceedingly low.

I got a surprise today when I checked my status. Estimated delivery date moved back from March to May-July. Bummer to have to wait but could be kinda cool if it means I'll get a made in Austin Y. I doubt it, because I'm pretty sure they will start with performance but it doesn't hurt to dream.