Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery day advice...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi everyone.

After 6 months of waiting I have my new reg and a delivery date for the first week of September.

Just curious what advice you guys have with regards to what to look out for “do you still need to follow the check lists?” but also anything I should purchase or have ready for taking delivery.

Thanks

If you are not that experienced at driving a Tesla regularly, I would advise you to be aware of the extra width. If the gap between kerb and oncoming traffic looks tight - give way. I picked mine up 2 years ago in Birmingham after having driven BMW 3 and 5 series for 30 years+ and within less than a mile had slightly scuffed the nearside rear wheel (21") - maybe my bad driving but just be aware!

Other than that be prepared for a totally new and wonderful driving experience and lots of glances/stares from other car users and pedestrians.

Enjoy

If you are not that experienced at driving a Tesla regularly, I would advise you to be aware of the extra width. If the gap between kerb and oncoming traffic looks tight - give way. I picked mine up 2 years ago in Birmingham after having driven BMW 3 and 5 series for 30 years+ and within less than a mile had slightly scuffed the nearside rear wheel (21") - maybe my bad driving but just be aware!

Other than that be prepared for a totally new and wonderful driving experience and lots of glances/stares from other car users and pedestrians.

Enjoy

My previous car wasn’t much smaller so I should be good however I got rid of it a few weeks back so I’ve been driving a fiat 500 for a little while now. Gonna be like driving a tank when I get it lol

Hi,

I'll be collecting my MS 100d from Birmingham early November. Is it standard at Tesla stores for them to unveil the car from under a sheet?

Enjoy

Check this delivery checklist out New Car Collection Checklist
^^^ This is a really good startpoint
I would recommend roadside recovery alongside car insurance. Tesla will provide full 24 hour assistance for anything warranty related but things like punctures are a grey area - in certain circumstances they can help but it depends how far you are from a service centre, it's office hours only and you may have a long wait even if they are able to assist.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
^^^ This is a really good startpoint
I would recommend roadside recovery alongside car insurance. Tesla will provide full 24 hour assistance for anything warranty related but things like punctures are a grey area - in certain circumstances they can help but it depends how far you are from a service centre, it's office hours only and you may have a long wait even if they are able to assist.

I asked this question about punctures apparently people think there is a rule or limit but head of service in Manchester told me and a room of 30 soon to be owners that there is no Tyre limit and recovery will always attend for damaged Tyre. Obviously slow puncture “fix yourself”

I asked this question about punctures apparently people think there is a rule or limit but head of service in Manchester told me and a room of 30 soon to be owners that there is no Tyre limit and recovery will always attend for damaged Tyre. Obviously slow puncture “fix yourself”

I wouldn't bank on that and it wouldn't be the first time a Tesla employee is confidently wrong. I've never seen anything definitive in writing from Tesla, anecdotally if you are withing 50 miles of a Service Centre they will attend free of charge. Over 50 miles and it's grey whether they will attend and if so whether it is chargeable.

It's not comprehensive enough for me so I have the usual AA/RAC cover as well.

When you say it’s grey has anyone actually be refused? I don’t doubt Tesla employee is wrong god knows I’ve had enough lies from them and I haven’t taken delivery yet but I’m just curious.

I get roadside free anyway with my bank so I’ll have both for cover but it’s a little crap if they tout it as full cover and don’t bother to caveats the nuances that are not covered. :(

Although they will no doubt sort anything after collection, I wouldn’t sign the form they wanted signing until I got the car and also got it out into the sunlight as for me I then saw scratches on windows and some marks on the body that you couldn’t see when inside. Enjoy your amazing new car. Make sure they take you though the settings (you’ll have to decide if you enable the beta items - which most of us do)

Reactions: Fellsteruk
I couldn't quote a specific refusal but have seen enough from the FB Group to know it's grey enough not to be relied upon.
Just to follow up on the tyre thing...

The "official" line, this is where the "50 mile" radius comes from, but I'm sure I've seen it worded elsewhere to look more like "within 50 miles of a service centre":
Customer Support & Roadside Assistance
"In some markets, our trained tow providers carry a limited number of loaner wheels to quickly exchange for the damaged wheel so you can continue your journey... Tesla will cover up to 50 mi (80 km) for a trained tow provider to assist you with a flat tyre."

But bear in mind wheel swaps can only take place while service centres are open, so if it's early/late/the weekend/a bank holiday you'll have to wait.

A quick search to find anecdotes from the Tesla Owners Facebook group produced the following examples:
- 26th August 2018, double blow-out in France after hitting debris, driver advised by Tesla roadside assistance to contact insurance company for recovery (to be fair this might have been treated as damage from an accident rather than a simple tyre issue);
- March 2018 Roadside contacted at 4 p.m., estimated a 4 hour wait for a recovery truck meaning that it would be the next day before a replacement tyre/wheel could be provided (the local service centre shut at 6.00);
- December 2017, 4 hour wait for roadside assistance to arrive, no tyres available, it took 2 days to source some.

To balance this there are plenty of "above and beyond" stories where Tesla staff have saved the day.
In general you can expect quicker response from a dedicated roadside recovery provider (AA, RAC, Green Flag etc.) who can take you to a local tyre fitter. Also useful for other things Tesla don't cover like a cracked windscreen making the car un-driveable.

Some people also carry a spare tyre due to the difficulty of sourcing certain brands/sizes. I've decided to chance it (and retain all that lovely frunk and boot space).

It's not something to get overly hung-up about but better to be aware of the possible scenarios if you just stick with Tesla's roadside assistance.

• Informative
Reactions: Peteski