Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery day advice...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol.

I’m not anal about these things was just curious as a detail isn’t a valet and I just wonder if they call it a detail when it’s far from that.

On an other note... do Tesla’s come with a. Set of locking wheel nuts or do I have to buy them ?

Mine went to be properly detailed as soon as I could after delivery, my guy let me know that he would be grateful if I could make sure that they didn't ever try to valet the car again during a service visit. :)

To be fair, the Tesla guys did immediately fix a small surface scratch that we spotted on pickup, but my detailer found many other imperfections caused by their work so in future they will not be cleaning the car during any visits.

• Informative
Reactions: WannabeOwner
If you are fastidious on such things maybe better to plan on taking it to a detailer, rather than expecting Tesla to achieve that level?

I've said elsewhere that my car went straight to Detailer to have Wrap fitted, and they told me NOT to let the supplier (any brand, not Tesla specifically) fix the paint as they would prefer to fix any imperfection themselves, rather than re-fix someone else's work!)

As it turned out they found nothing that needed fixing ... and given all the shiny-shiny-stuff on their Forecourt (cheapest thing there was probably 10x my car ...) I doubt they were holding back :)
Do you want to share your experience with having your Tesla wrapped? Costs/ results/ how long it takes? Was it worth it? Thanks

Do you want to share your experience with having your Tesla wrapped? Costs/ results/ how long it takes? Was it worth it? Thanks
Why wrap it the colours are beautiful? Also if you want to keep the original paint colour just get Paint protection film added on top. It’s expensive but will keep the paint work pristine. I have a gtechniq ceramic coating about £1000 to have done and worth it IMO

Why wrap it the colours are beautiful? Also if you want to keep the original paint colour just get Paint protection film added on top. It’s expensive but will keep the paint work pristine. I have a gtechniq ceramic coating about £1000 to have done and worth it IMO
Was thinking of clear wrap to protect the paint. I understand is superior to ceramic coating...

Was thinking of clear wrap to protect the paint. I understand is superior to ceramic coating...
It's certainly more protective meaning that if you drove close to tree branches that would likely scratch your paint the scratches would appear on the PPF and some have self healing properties meaning if you get some boiling water and pour it over the scratches the marks disappear as the film reacts (XPEL). Also PPF is a great way of protecting the paint from nibbles and chips from the motorway.

Ceramic is a hard glass coating that is the next best thing, water just beads off your car, cleaning is super easy as not much dirt sticks to it and the car will be super shiny!

wraps are anywhere from £2k-£6k depending on the quality and coverage. Ceramic coatings cost between £400-£2k depending on the level of polishing need and the type of coating used.

Last edited:
Do you want to share your experience with having your Tesla wrapped? Costs/ results/ how long it takes? Was it worth it?

Took my brand new MS straight to the Detailer with a handful of miles on the clock - as I figured there was no sense getting some chips before the wrapping - Topaz, near Tesla Heathrow. £4K from memory (and bit-less-than-half that for front-facing-surfaces only, but I figured that bird poo / idiot with a key on any panel was as likely as stone chip on front facing surface). Topaz were excellent (and presumably a car park full of mega-super-cars speaks volumes for their owners who are bound to be much more picky than me ...I felt poor there as the next cheapest car was probably an order of magnitude more than mine! Sadly they don't offer a Pagani loaner ...)

Topaz told me to accept the car with any paint faults as they said they would prefer to fix them than whatever the car supplier (any brand) might choose to do. They didn't find anything that needed fixing

I did the Wrap assuming I would be keeping the car a while, and having spent 3x as much on a Tesla than normal I thought more likely that I would be annoyed by stone chips etc. than on my previous A-to-B cars. I've had nice cars before ... in my Youth, eh? :) ... but latterly A-to-B cars with no care about cleaning them etc.

Whilst wrapping it they removed the badges and I asked them not to bother putting them back on

That was 2 years ago. My observations are:

The car looks smart washed (at supermarket) without polish etc.

I don't rush to remove Bird poo (anywhere on the car) as although it will mark Wrap, eventually, its not the same issue as marking paint. And, heck, if needs be the wrap is easily replaced.

Snuggling up against a rural roadside hedge, or some moron in a car park with a sharp key-point, does no scratch-damage (or, if there are scratches in the wrap some heat, eg. from a hair drier, repairs them)

But for a more impressive, albeit unexpected!, test I was side-swiped by a Range Rover/similar on roundabout (at quite slow speed) and when I got the car home it looked like it had been scraped down a wall - that sort of "white veneer" look. I washed it and apart for a couple of minor dents there was no damage to the paint at all, and after a "heal" with warm air it was impossible to tell there had been any damage, apart from the small dents which didn't show up from a distance.

If it had been my dime, and I wasn't too fussy, I could have lived with the dents. There was no damage to the paintwork at all (but I would have had to replace the wrap around a wheel arch that had torn in the process).

Definitely impressed me

Before:

img_2301_tesla-jpg.260597

img_2304_tesla-jpg.260596

After a wash:

img_2320_tesla-jpg.260595

and with a bit of elbow grease those remaining white marks went too

Someone else has said similar:

Paint film protection can't decide.

"Hi I was in Spain recently and had a coming together with a brick wall on my right front wing ... When I took the wrap off there was not a scratch on the body work so it was well worth the money getting it wrapped."