Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery day but out of town

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just offered a 3-day window to pickup my new LR M3, but I'll actually be out of town on those days. I'll ring my local Tesla shop tomorrow but i'm curious. Is it more likely that they'll allow me to push it an extra few days until i'm back in town, or will they give that VIN to someone else, and re-schedule me for another vehicle? If it's the latter, i'm curious how long it generally else to get re-assigned another VIN?

Thanks for any help!

I was just offered a 3-day window to pickup my new LR M3, but I'll actually be out of town on those days. I'll ring my local Tesla shop tomorrow but i'm curious. Is it more likely that they'll allow me to push it an extra few days until i'm back in town, or will they give that VIN to someone else, and re-schedule me for another vehicle? If it's the latter, i'm curious how long it generally else to get re-assigned another VIN?

Thanks for any help!

Can only speak for what they did for me... They would not hold, so gave the VIN to someone else and put my order on hold until the day I return from vacation. I pulled the hold off a few days later manually and got a VIN the next day for right when I return.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Can only speak for what they did for me... They would not hold, so gave the VIN to someone else and put my order on hold until the day I return from vacation. I pulled the hold off a few days later manually and got a VIN the next day for right when I return.

Yea so they told me they would not hold either and urged that either I pick it up, or they drop it off at my house. Also said since I placed my order months ago, that if I elected to NOT take it now, i'd be subject to having my order cancelled.

• Informative
My experience was that the order folks said I needed to take a date within the window on the computer but then call the SC and they would reschedule it. If you do not schedule it within the window, their system forfeits your VIN. I also think it has to do with how close to the end of quarter you are taking delivery. My first delivery date was at EOQ And rescheduling was harder.

• Informative
Reactions: MR F
Yea I was very weirded out that the guy was like "must take it now or we'll cancel your order" lol

Thats because of :

Also said since I placed my order months ago

Too many people put orders on hold that were placed last year, trying to push them to this year. Whether this was you or not, you are impacted by that.

The "wont hold order" doesnt have anything to do with "placed order months ago" but the " if you put it on hold we are going to cancel it" likely does.

• Love
I just placed an order last night for a "March 2022" delivery window. I will be out of town April 2nd-10th, so there will only be a problem if my delivery window slips. Hopefully, I don't have to release my VIN and possibly wait until the end of the next quarter in June.

I just placed an order last night for a "March 2022" delivery window. ... Hopefully, I don't have to release my VIN and possibly wait until the end of the next quarter in June.
My experience was that they were very strict about the delivery that was coming at the EOQ (Sept 27). They would not let it go beyond the EOQ. When I took delivery in October, I was able to delay it from Oct 15 to Oct 23 just by accepting the Oct 15 date online, then calling the SC where I was picking up and letting them know I was traveling during the delivery window. If you have a delivery window in April and your experience is like mine, I'd expect they will delay it since it is not impacting their EOQ sales.

Reactions: jessepotter
I just got a delivery date range for Tues-Thurs this week but I'll be out of town. I called the local Tesla place and explained I would be out of town and also told them I wanted to pick up, not delivery. No problem. I'm scheduled for Saturday the 26th.
Nice. I will take off hold on Saturday the 26th, haha. I'm HOPING I don't get delivery scheduled until the week after the next when I'm actually back in town... we'll see. If it gets scheduled for the following week I'll call and try one more attempt at having them hold it for several more days.

It’s sad that others have gone through this as well. I ran my credit, had everything good to go. Unfortunately I was out of town on a business trip and missed the “Delivery” window and now my vehicle says it’ll be ready in two months or so!!!
My advisor claimed he’d put me down on a priority list. Is that actually a thing ?