Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Day Dec. 6, 2022. The Good, The Bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoiler Alert... it was mostly all good. ;)

Picked up today at Naperville/Lisle, IL. MYLR5, no Tow, No FSD, 19" Gemini, Wt./Blk Y.

Got the $3,750 credit applied. Had a larger Bank check printed last week before the credit news and had to have it re-made at the bank for the lesser amount. One somewhat comical hour there as the bank personnel had never swapped out a cashier's check before and had to call another bank to ask how it could be done. :rolleyes:

This morning a very long automated text came explaining the delivery would be totally touchless, with documents in car, instructions to pair everything ourselves and the location of the black metal box on the building to drop the signed paperwork in as we would drive away. That text must have been a holdover from 2020/2021 because none of that happened or was necessary. Nothing was "touchless." Good old-fashioned real people explaning how everything worked; 100% personal service -- the way it should be! :) But this took a while. Good thing they weren't super busy today. The registration had to be corrected twice for various reasons. With all the paperwork signed, check passed over the counter, pairing of phones and cards completed, it was time to get comfortable with basic commands and screen functions and to take it home.

Ordered April 19th.
Freemont car, 2023. 607xxx, indicating ~Nov. 20th build date. Same VIN as expected.
Most cars on the lot were Freemont. Only spotted one Austin.
Back deck cover
New inner door panels
Pedals dark rubber
No USS
New cameras? I don't know.
None of the doors were difficult to open or close.
Was charged to 89% at pickup.
Not matrix headlights. Regular headlights at night not as bright as expected. The "fog lights," however, are the best I've had in any of my 10+ cars.
The included n/c floor carpets were way better than I had planned on! Quite surprised, really. WeatherTech Floor Liners will arrive when they introduce 2023 product. I can wait.

Had 17 miles on the odo (did someone test drive it?) The car was on the lot for about a week.
Comfort suspension? - don't know. The ride is still rather rough. Tires at 40-42psi.
Firmware update was last performed today! So I guess it is up-to-date.

Mailed off the Illinois Rebate an hour later.

I didn't notice any vision update for close objects at slow speeds (yet). Also today, the mobile connector bundle arrived, literally 5 minutes after the car did. What timing! Both 5-15 and 14-50 plugs were in the bag. This needs to be tested. The old L2 works OK at 245v 28A, yet slowly when the car is already at 83%. Trial SuperCharging is planned soon.

Car came without front mudflaps or rear door PPF. I will request these to be completed.

Couple of fitment issues. Misaligned back left tail light portion on the hatch.
i-9h3Dnm7-X2.jpg

and another rear lower right window trim mismatch
i-HbVq86x-X2.jpg

Other than those, it was super clean. Now to figure out how to send a service request on those items? Drinking a victory beer right now! 🍻

Last edited:
More info: Fremont VIN. 2023 MYLR.
More context: I also do not NEED the car. I can wait it out but finding it hard to pick whether I should take the discount now, I will not qualify for any federal EV tax credit in 2023 OR wait it out for potentially significant changes coming very soon here (HD Radar) and because I do not absolutely need the car. I only drive ~5-7k miles a year btw.
Sounds like you don't even need a car with that low of an annual mileage, lol.

But back to your question, depends. If you want the car now and are okay with what you're missing, then proceed. However, if you are okay to wait, potentially lose out on discounts (Paying more) and potentially wait a bit longer since nothing is really guaranteed when it comes down to Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: ss——
Now with Tesla offering $7500 credit and 10k Supercharing, I feel like a looser on taking deliver on the 13th 🙁!!.

You aren't alone. And Tesla isn't done giving out deals, trust me. It will get better for new customers soon, and worse for Tesla. I think there's a point where the company might become a laughing point in the industry as a company that can barely GIVE their cars away. The press is already all over this, and it will look very bad. Glad I don't have stock in the company.

You aren't alone. And Tesla isn't done giving out deals, trust me. It will get better for new customers soon, and worse for Tesla. I think there's a point where the company might become a laughing point in the industry as a company that can barely GIVE their cars away. The press is already all over this, and it will look very bad. Glad I don't have stock in the company.
Too bad I still holding some shares too!

Too bad I still holding some shares too!
Really depends how long ago you bought the stock. :D At a 15:1 stock split price ratio thus far, it would need to drop much more sharply to actually lose money. Now, if you bought at $298 this past summer...

Disclosure: I have no stock in Tesla, unless it is somewhere buried deep in my failing 401K. But my very recently model Y is dropping in price much faster than the stock is, at this point.

Really depends how long ago you bought the stock. :D At a 15:1 stock split price ratio thus far, it would need to drop much more sharply to actually lose money. Now, if you bought at $298 this past summer...

Disclosure: I have no stock in Tesla, unless it is somewhere buried deep in my failing 401K. But my very recently model Y is dropping in price much faster than the stock is, at this point.
haha, I was actually going to comment on this. We're talking about stock, but how about the value of Nov Model Ys tho.

Nov birth dates unite...we need to pour one for the lost $$
I'm in, and I'll also buy a round. As in my above post, my model Y's current instant lower value is pale compared to the sad state of my 401K this last year(s). So, all told, if I was to make a pie chart of losses on both, the Y would be a much smaller wedge. C'est la Vie. This is fine. Everything is fine.

Heck, at my age, all I care about now is my lovely wife continuing to do nice things for me, a good cup of coffee, a purring cat in my lap, and a decent day's work (which I shouldn't even be doing anymore). A car, any car, is a luxury. It works so far, and that's fine.

I'm in, and I'll also buy a round. As in my above post, my model Y's current instant lower value is pale compared to the sad state of my 401K this last year(s). So, all told, if I was to make a pie chart of losses on both, the Y would be a much smaller wedge. C'est la Vie. This is fine. Everything is fine.

Heck, at my age, all I care about now is my lovely wife continuing to do nice things for me, a good cup of coffee, a purring cat in my lap, and a decent day's work (which I shouldn't even be doing anymore). A car, any car, is a luxury. It works so far, and that's fine.
A positive perspective and agreed on the horror of 401k. Hopefully you at least applied for the 4k Illinois incentive which they said they extended.

Totally agree, 401k/stock losses pale in comparison to the car value lost..! I wish that Tesla will try to appease the customers, by giving some credit?