Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Day Horror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Model Y in at the end of May 2021 and was able to secure all of the appropriate paperwork early and was excited to receive notice of a June 26, 2021 delivery date with a VIN number. The day before, I received a call stating that the delivery hub picked up errors with sensors and a couple of other issues and would push the delivery date to June 27, 2021. I received a call the next day, on June 26, that the issues were still not fixed and a would again be delayed until Tuesday, June 29 but hopefully receive the car sooner. By Monday evening, I didn’t get a call and checked the app which still showed a Tuesday, June 29 delivery at 11 am. I wake up and get ready for the car ride across Houston and again, check app, as we’re about 10 minutes into the drive to Houston. At this time, the app showed a delivery date of July 20 - Aug 15. I immediately called Tesla and was left waiting for about 20 minutes while they contacted the delivery hub. I was transferred to one of the local guys, who said that unfortunately they couldn’t guarantee a delivery as the vehicle still had issues and it was unassigned to me. I got frustrated and asked why I didn’t receive a call to alert me and that I was already on the way. He told me to turn around and would call me back in 10-15 minutes. About 2 hours later, he calls and says that the car had issues and I would most likely be assigned a new vehicle, once one comes available. I’m about 10 days from the first loan payment and was about to pay premiums on my insurance. In addition, Tesla had my down payment already almost 3 weeks prior. I immediately tweet Elon and Tesla and surprisingly received a call from Brandt, the GM at the Houston Westchase location. He apologized and said he would stay on top of this issue and hoped to find a quick resolution. He promised timely updates and apologized profusely. He shared his personal cell number and said I could use it for updates. That’s the last I heard from him as he never called back nor did his phone take VM because it was full. I finally got a hold of a rep at corporate Tesla, on July 1, 2021, who did some legwork and was able to tell me that my vehicle was I unrepairable and I would go back into queue for a delivery. In addition, I would need to resubmit my loan documents again and pause my insurance. I allowed them to keep my down payment as I didn’t want any further delays. At this point, it’s just a waiting game again. What can I do to speed things up? Am I back on the list or do I get priority given my circumstances?

....At this point, it’s just a waiting game again. What can I do to speed things up? Am I back on the list or do I get priority given my circumstances?...

I do empathize with your frustration. There's no excuse for the poor communication.

However, there are unexpected things that we should wait it out.

For example, if the flight is delayed due to bad weather, it's bad that the pilot would not communicate why there's a delay. Yes, the delay is very frustrating and I might miss many important appointments. But once we know the reason for the delay, what's the alternative? Board another plane in bad weather? Get another pilot in bad weather...?

A new car should not have any defects and I would not want to take it home and book an appointment for Service Center.

That sucks.
I had similar experience and would get a call almost before I ready to leave house to pick up MY.
Same story MY couldn’t be repaired because they have no parts. Offered me white one to be delivered next day. I asked for grey, they found it for me in NC. It took a long week for it to arrive. My trade in evaluation expired and at that point I sold it to Carvana. Got lucky timing it. Had funds from Carvana next day after Carvana picked up my truck.
It was a bit irritating but I understood that demand is high and causes a bunch of different issues.
And even though a lot of people wait for tax credit, demand for Tesla’s through the roof. Another record deliveries this quarter.

I would say several blessings they didn’t try to unload that car on you and let you play repair roulette until you could lemon-law it.

The wait stinks.

Tesla pulling the defective car out of the queue is a step in the right direction!

and, in a completely unrelated question, how is any new car not repairable? It’s full of diagnostics… puzzles me…. Maybe that’s code for saying repair parts aren’t available?

I do empathize with your frustration. There's no excuse for the poor communication.

However, there are unexpected things that we should wait it out.

For example, if the flight is delayed due to bad weather, it's bad that the pilot would not communicate why there's a delay. Yes, the delay is very frustrating and I might miss many important appointments. But once we know the reason for the delay, what's the alternative? Board another plane in bad weather? Get another pilot in bad weather...?

A new car should not have any defects and I would not want to take it home and book an appointment for Service Center.
It took a few days, but you’re right, things happen and I’ll glad it occurred before I took possession of the vehicle.

Reactions: CyberTorque
I would say several blessings they didn’t try to unload that car on you and let you play repair roulette until you could lemon-law it.

The wait stinks.

Tesla pulling the defective car out of the queue is a step in the right direction!

and, in a completely unrelated question, how is any new car not repairable? It’s full of diagnostics… puzzles me…. Maybe that’s code for saying repair parts aren’t available?
I was thinking the same and finally told the rep that I’d rather wait for a new vehicle than accept one that’s been fixed. At one point, they even offered to deliver the vehicle to my house which is about an hour away, but I kinda felt like they were going to use miles that belonged to me. I’m just anxious to get the vehicle after such a long wait and research.

I had a similar situation occur to me back in March, as I already paid the final ACH payment and was set to take delivery on the upcoming weekend, until Tesla canceled it on me (they actually sold the car to somebody else) and I got out back into the queue and have been waiting ever since, with most likely a Sep delivery date now. BTW, Tesla refunded my ACH payment a week later without me asking for it. So I know how you’re feeling and it sucks, and unfortunately there’s nothing you can do about it unless you want to buy a used Tesla or another car brand.

On the flip side of that, how would you feel if Tesla sold you a Model Y when they said they would, and it turned out to be a lemon but only after it sat at the service center getting ”fixed” for the majority of your ownership? Would that have made you even more upset, knowing you took delivery of a car and only got to enjoy it for maybe a few days before it spent the rest of its time at the SC getting fixed for a few weeks or longer? It‘s hard to say but I would be more upset with the latter than waiting to get a flawless car, but ymmv.

Reactions: Ormond
At lest you guys had your orders go through! I placed an order yesterday and then got a cancellation email shortly after followed by a random text in the evening offering to possibly move up my delivery date (I suspect from someone that cancelled their order).
Here are the details below:

I originally bought the Model S when it first came out. I owned it for several years and then bought the Model X when it came out and I still have it almost 6 years later. I went on Tesla's website yesterday to order a Model Y for my wife. I successfully placed the order so I was puzzled to see a cancellation email less than 10 minutes later.

I tried to reach someone at Tesla and didn't know who to call so I called my local store. (San Diego UTC location). I explained to Ariel the issue and she thought it was strange. She said that she would talk to her manager and get it figured out. I told them I'm happy to place the order again but I didn't want to have to pay another deposit. The website said the cars aren't available until April 2022 which I'm ok with.

No one ever called me back. But then later in the evening, I get a random text from a Tesla salesman asking why I cancelled the order and if he can help. I explain to him the frustrating situation and that I did NOT want to cancel and he can see that I called the San Diego UTC store immediately once I saw the cancellation email. He said he checked with corporate and that they can't refund me the $250. I told him, "I'm not asking for a refund. I'm asking you to put through the order that I put through". I even told him that I'm willing to pay another $250 deposit as long as both deposits go towards the car payment. when I take delivery.

He said Tesla is closed on Wednesdays. (HUH??? Really? That sems odd). But that he would check with corporate and see. Then he said he could possibly get me the same car earlier (possibly November or December) if I paid another deposit. I told him I am fine to wait or take it earlier.

Has anyone else had this happen? It's so frustrating. They can clearly see I'm not some nube. I've been driving Tesla's for almost 10 years now and loyal. I would think they would just quickly apologize, redo the order and move on but their actions are very strange.

Does anyone know anyone at Tesla higher up that I can talk to about this. It's quite bizarre.

At lest you guys had your orders go through! I placed an order yesterday and then got a cancellation email shortly after followed by a random text in the evening offering to possibly move up my delivery date (I suspect from someone that cancelled their order).
Here are the details below:

I originally bought the Model S when it first came out. I owned it for several years and then bought the Model X when it came out and I still have it almost 6 years later. I went on Tesla's website yesterday to order a Model Y for my wife. I successfully placed the order so I was puzzled to see a cancellation email less than 10 minutes later.

I tried to reach someone at Tesla and didn't know who to call so I called my local store. (San Diego UTC location). I explained to Ariel the issue and she thought it was strange. She said that she would talk to her manager and get it figured out. I told them I'm happy to place the order again but I didn't want to have to pay another deposit. The website said the cars aren't available until April 2022 which I'm ok with.

No one ever called me back. But then later in the evening, I get a random text from a Tesla salesman asking why I cancelled the order and if he can help. I explain to him the frustrating situation and that I did NOT want to cancel and he can see that I called the San Diego UTC store immediately once I saw the cancellation email. He said he checked with corporate and that they can't refund me the $250. I told him, "I'm not asking for a refund. I'm asking you to put through the order that I put through". I even told him that I'm willing to pay another $250 deposit as long as both deposits go towards the car payment. when I take delivery.

He said Tesla is closed on Wednesdays. (HUH??? Really? That sems odd). But that he would check with corporate and see. Then he said he could possibly get me the same car earlier (possibly November or December) if I paid another deposit. I told him I am fine to wait or take it earlier.

Has anyone else had this happen? It's so frustrating. They can clearly see I'm not some nube. I've been driving Tesla's for almost 10 years now and loyal. I would think they would just quickly apologize, redo the order and move on but their actions are very strange.

Does anyone know anyone at Tesla higher up that I can talk to about this. It's quite bizarre.
Calling your local Tesla gallery is like going to an AT&T Wireless store for help troubleshooting a phone issue you've been having. It's a crap shoot and largely depends on the knowledge level of that particular employee. Try calling Tesla Order Support: 510-249-3100. They've been much more helpful in terms of assistance with orders in my experience.

Calling your local Tesla gallery is like going to an AT&T Wireless store for help troubleshooting a phone issue you've been having. It's a crap shoot and largely depends on the knowledge level of that particular employee. Try calling Tesla Order Support: 510-249-3100. They've been much more helpful in terms of assistance with orders in my experience.
Yes, I know that but I just wanted to have something on record that I called them ASAP to let them know of their error. I couldn't get through anywhere else.