Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Day Inspection and Payment Process. How to do it right?

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
I am scheduled to pickup my Model Y on 7/22 in Paramus NJ and am wondering when to make final payment and accept delivery.

I would like to inspect the vehicle inside and out before accepting delivery, but I've read that in some cases the SC would not open the doors until the buyer accepted delivery. How do I avoid this?

My payment will be in three parts: Finance, Downpayment, and Trade-in. The financing is from my personal credit union. My loan has been approved but funds have not yet been sent out. Likewise, the downpayment is still in my checking account. Trade-in has been accepted and title uploaded to Tesla.

Should I click the Tesla link to add my bank account and transfer the down payment now or wait until pickup? I a bank check a better route?

Should I have my credit union send the loan funds to me or to Tesla?

Ideally I would like to inspect the car before paying for it, I'm just not sure what order to do each of the remaining steps in a way that I still have recourse to reject the car if it has any serious issues. The dealership seems to want to do everything contactless.

I have this checklist for inspection. Is this still relevant or is there something more recent? VIN is 228xxx.

bawertu2220

Apr 9, 2019
california
I am scheduled to pickup my Model Y on 7/22 in Paramus NJ and am wondering when to make final payment and accept delivery.

I would like to inspect the vehicle inside and out before accepting delivery, but I've read that in some cases the SC would not open the doors until the buyer accepted delivery. How do I avoid this?

My payment will be in three parts: Finance, Downpayment, and Trade-in. The financing is from my personal credit union. My loan has been approved but funds have not yet been sent out. Likewise, the downpayment is still in my checking account. Trade-in has been accepted and title uploaded to Tesla.

Should I click the Tesla link to add my bank account and transfer the down payment now or wait until pickup? I a bank check a better route?

Ideally I would like to inspect the car before paying for it, I'm just not sure what order to do each of the remaining steps in a way that I still have recourse to reject the car if it has any serious issues. The dealership seems to want to do everything contactless.

I have this checklist for inspection. Is this still relevant or is there something more recent? VIN is 228xxx.

Congrats on your scheduled delivery!

• I would personally reach out to your SA for your payment process. Everyone's case is unique but based off history, your personal CU will need to be a finalized MVPA once your downpayment and trade-in are accounted for. But again, reach out to your SA on this.
  • Your CU can overnight the check to Tesla
  • You can use that checklist, this also seems to be the most recent checklist but very similar

Reactions: rjpjnk

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
Thanks for the help and updated checklist!

I do not have an SA to my knowledge. I've just been calling the Tesla main number when I have a question. It appears to be impossible to reach the Paramus NJ SC by phone. I've tried twice.

bawertu2220

Apr 9, 2019
california
Thanks for the help and updated checklist!

I do not have an SA to my knowledge. I've just been calling the Tesla main number when I have a question. It appears to be impossible to reach the Paramus NJ SC by phone. I've tried twice.
Keep calling the local Tesla center if possible, or go in person if you can. You're welcome and good luck with everything!

RudeDude

MY-LR-5, Blue ext/white int. Deliv 8/17
Jun 16, 2021
Central VA
I've been seeing the acronym "MVPA" all over the place when reading about delivery and payment. I still haven't been able to guess what it stands for. Any kind soul here want to decode for me? 🙃

Hardensoul

Aug 12, 2021
Charlotte, NC

Congratulations! I just received my first MVPA yesterday and came upon final payment tab. I thought I needed to fill out for the delivery date. But when I saw the pay button and todays date as payment. I clicked x to close the form.

Search and saw posts on this forum, I immediately sign up.

Reactions: RudeDude

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
Thanks. It was the easiest car buying process I've ever experienced. I did click the option to pay final balance from my checking account online a few days prior to pickup, then I brought the physical check from my credit union for the loan balance with me. I had plenty of time to inspect the car and no pressure at all. There were two minor panel issues and they fixed them on the spot. When everything was to my liking I signed the forms and accepted delivery. Very pleased.

Plasmid_Boy

Feb 13, 2020
Indiana
I will be picking up on Monday. I clicked on the bank transfer option and got linked to my bank, and the full balance was deducted immediately.

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
So clicking this option didn’t deduct any money from your bank account?
Not sure when it was deducted. Sometime between when I clicked and when I picked up the car. I suppose if you wanted to hold on to all the money until you accepted the car you could do the transfer at the service center. I didn't want to take any chance of the funds not going through on pickup day.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC