Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Day Inspection and Payment Process. How to do it right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
I am scheduled to pickup my Model Y on 7/22 in Paramus NJ and am wondering when to make final payment and accept delivery.

I would like to inspect the vehicle inside and out before accepting delivery, but I've read that in some cases the SC would not open the doors until the buyer accepted delivery. How do I avoid this?

My payment will be in three parts: Finance, Downpayment, and Trade-in. The financing is from my personal credit union. My loan has been approved but funds have not yet been sent out. Likewise, the downpayment is still in my checking account. Trade-in has been accepted and title uploaded to Tesla.

Should I click the Tesla link to add my bank account and transfer the down payment now or wait until pickup? I a bank check a better route?

Should I have my credit union send the loan funds to me or to Tesla?

Ideally I would like to inspect the car before paying for it, I'm just not sure what order to do each of the remaining steps in a way that I still have recourse to reject the car if it has any serious issues. The dealership seems to want to do everything contactless.

I have this checklist for inspection. Is this still relevant or is there something more recent? VIN is 228xxx.

I am scheduled to pickup my Model Y on 7/22 in Paramus NJ and am wondering when to make final payment and accept delivery.

I would like to inspect the vehicle inside and out before accepting delivery, but I've read that in some cases the SC would not open the doors until the buyer accepted delivery. How do I avoid this?

My payment will be in three parts: Finance, Downpayment, and Trade-in. The financing is from my personal credit union. My loan has been approved but funds have not yet been sent out. Likewise, the downpayment is still in my checking account. Trade-in has been accepted and title uploaded to Tesla.

Should I click the Tesla link to add my bank account and transfer the down payment now or wait until pickup? I a bank check a better route?

Ideally I would like to inspect the car before paying for it, I'm just not sure what order to do each of the remaining steps in a way that I still have recourse to reject the car if it has any serious issues. The dealership seems to want to do everything contactless.

I have this checklist for inspection. Is this still relevant or is there something more recent? VIN is 228xxx.

Congrats on your scheduled delivery!

• I would personally reach out to your SA for your payment process. Everyone's case is unique but based off history, your personal CU will need to be a finalized MVPA once your downpayment and trade-in are accounted for. But again, reach out to your SA on this.
  • Your CU can overnight the check to Tesla
  • You can use that checklist, this also seems to be the most recent checklist but very similar

Reactions: rjpjnk
Thanks for the help and updated checklist!

I do not have an SA to my knowledge. I've just been calling the Tesla main number when I have a question. It appears to be impossible to reach the Paramus NJ SC by phone. I've tried twice.

Reactions: joeinNFLA

Congratulations! I just received my first MVPA yesterday and came upon final payment tab. I thought I needed to fill out for the delivery date. But when I saw the pay button and todays date as payment. I clicked x to close the form.

Search and saw posts on this forum, I immediately sign up.

Reactions: RudeDude
Thanks. It was the easiest car buying process I've ever experienced. I did click the option to pay final balance from my checking account online a few days prior to pickup, then I brought the physical check from my credit union for the loan balance with me. I had plenty of time to inspect the car and no pressure at all. There were two minor panel issues and they fixed them on the spot. When everything was to my liking I signed the forms and accepted delivery. Very pleased.

So clicking this option didn’t deduct any money from your bank account?
Not sure when it was deducted. Sometime between when I clicked and when I picked up the car. I suppose if you wanted to hold on to all the money until you accepted the car you could do the transfer at the service center. I didn't want to take any chance of the funds not going through on pickup day.

Thanks. It was the easiest car buying process I've ever experienced. I did click the option to pay final balance from my checking account online a few days prior to pickup, then I brought the physical check from my credit union for the loan balance with me. I had plenty of time to inspect the car and no pressure at all. There were two minor panel issues and they fixed them on the spot. When everything was to my liking I signed the forms and accepted delivery. Very pleased.

Hey there, fellow NJ-er picking up mine this week! I am in an almost identical situation (sans a trade-in) so I have the other 2 parts you had: an approved Loan through my CU and a Downpayment in my personal checking acct. My Tesla Account page is all updated and is sitting at the step where it says the total Car Price, the Financed amount, and the Downpayment amount and has a blue button underneath to Add Bank Account and Pay.

So to confirm your process so that I can replicate it without issues:
1. Go in my Tesla account and add my personal bank account info and submit that Downpayment amount this week. (Doing a dry-run it says to signup and use Plaid). I've seen other anecdotes on the forum here that people like to bring the downpayment with them and not do it online...
2. Contact my credit union to have them give me a physical Certified check OR wire transfer the $$ to Tesla directly. I mention the latter b/c when I switched my account page from Cash to Finance, it gave me a Self-financing document along with the MVPA that my credit union could follow to transfer the money. I suppose I can call the CU tomorrow and ask what they prefer to do.
3. If from step 2 there is a physical check, bring it with me to the SC and hand it over. (Did you hand it to them before or after you inspected the car?)

Sounds right. I was able to inspect the car and have them fix a couple minor things before turning the check over or accepting the car. I sat in it and played with everything for about an hour before accepting. There was plenty of time to ask questions. Then I dropped the check and the signed forms in their mailbox and scanned a QR code and they came out with the keys. They were very pleasant and easy to deal with. This was Paramus. Good luck!

I used Plaid (bank deposit) for my MYLR appointment this past Saturday. I submitted payment on Friday afternoon but it wasn't deducted until today (Monday)... Unsure if that was because I needed to accept delivery first or how Plaid works. My finance company will wire Tesla the loan amount separately.

The entire delivery process was seamless. I thought my VW ID.4 purchase process was fast (I was in and out within an hour - from sign to driving out with full plates for the VW) but Tesla is even faster.

Did you switch to the finance option? I am able to pay my down payment now since I made the switch earlier today and told my SA how much I am financing. You’ll need an updated mvpa
Ive always had financing as my payment and did it immediately after placing my order in October :x seems weird that I’m less than a week from delivery tomorrow