Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Day - Payment, Timing, and Containing Myself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’re excited to pick up our MY Saturday! This said, it would be helpful to gauge recent experiences. I know there are threads that address these issues, but they all look to be from 6+ months ago so better to get more recent insight.
  1. Payment: Actually got called by the manager of the service center early yesterday morning and I did request the financing switch (got approved in 2 minutes) and to pay by check. He told me although Tesla now really prefers electronic, a certified / official bank check made out to “Tesla Inc” is fine. For those who paid by check, when do you recommend I hand that over? Like will they not unlock the car until I give them the check on arrival? I don’t want to delay the process but I also want to do a least an initial cursory look at the car before getting to that point.
  2. Delivery day checklist: I’m going to take my time before clicking that magic “accept delivery” button. This list seems pretty exhaustive, and because it’s a touchless delivery hopefully I can do my inspection without taking up the team’s time. Is there another checklist anyone recommends? I imagine the overall build quality is much better from the time this list was produced.
  3. I was told the SC got the car in around 9pm Wednesday (was called 9am next day / yesterday). He said I could have picked up as early as yesterday afternoon, but I picked Saturday both for convenience and to give the QC team more time to look the car over. Smart move or did that not really matter?
  4. How firm is Tesla on delivery appointment times? It’s going to be easier to get there about 15 min early given where I will be before my appointment. Not a big deal or should I wait next door at Staples pretending to look at office furniture or something ;)?
Thanks in advance!

@Mr_Bob didn't see this till now. How did you make out?
All ended up making out well. Ended up connecting with the SC and got everything worked out, and we’re happily with our MY!
For future reference we ended up having the following answers:

We’re excited to pick up our MY Saturday! This said, it would be helpful to gauge recent experiences. I know there are threads that address these issues, but they all look to be from 6+ months ago so better to get more recent insight.
  1. Payment: … I’m sure it depends on the SC, but Springfield, NJ was really chill about it. I did have to go inside and show them I had the remaining payment in hand to unlock the car, but otherwise they didn’t actually get the check until I was done signing documents and ready to accept delivery.
  2. Delivery day checklist: I’m going to take my time before clicking that magic “accept delivery” button. This list seems pretty exhaustive, and because it’s a touchless delivery hopefully I can do my inspection without taking up the team’s time. Is there another checklist anyone recommends? I imagine the overall build quality is much better from the time this list was produced. The list worked out very well. It was both my wife and myself checking so everything went a lot quicker.
  3. I was told the SC got the car in around 9pm Wednesday (was called 9am next day / yesterday). He said I could have picked up as early as yesterday afternoon, but I picked Saturday both for convenience and to give the QC team more time to look the car over. Smart move or did that not really matter? Smart move, I’d say. No way to verify but the condition of the car was excellent.
  4. How firm is Tesla on delivery appointment times? They basically don’t care. Once you get the notification your car is out there, it’s fair game.
Thanks in advance!

All ended up making out well. Ended up connecting with the SC and got everything worked out, and we’re happily with our MY!
For future reference we ended up having the following answers:

Thanks Mr_Bob! I live about 25 mins from Springfield NJ so if/when it's my time to order a MY LR I will probably use that SC too if you recommend it still.

I am starting to read all the various parts of the forum here so I am a well-informed Tesla buyer (and owner!). If I may ask:
- What you wound up using for financing? A Credit Union, Tesla's own financing, your own bank in NJ, etc.?
- How far in advance did you order your MY? With the world the way it is nowadays and supply/demand and all that, I want to have a good gauge when to order one so I'm not waiting forever. I don't plan to need my Tesla until beginning of this November when my Ford lease is up, and maybe the world will be in a slightly [better?] place by then but again, just getting my ducks in a row!
- Does NJ and/or the federal gov't still give rebates/incentives for buying an EV like a Tesla?

Thanks Mr_Bob! I live about 25 mins from Springfield NJ so if/when it's my time to order a MY LR I will probably use that SC too if you recommend it still.

I am starting to read all the various parts of the forum here so I am a well-informed Tesla buyer (and owner!). If I may ask:
- What you wound up using for financing? A Credit Union, Tesla's own financing, your own bank in NJ, etc.?
- How far in advance did you order your MY? With the world the way it is nowadays and supply/demand and all that, I want to have a good gauge when to order one so I'm not waiting forever. I don't plan to need my Tesla until beginning of this November when my Ford lease is up, and maybe the world will be in a slightly [better?] place by then but again, just getting my ducks in a row!
- Does NJ and/or the federal gov't still give rebates/incentives for buying an EV like a Tesla?
Hi Trip,

Yes, I would recommend them. Just keep in mind that the best way to actually get in touch with the service center is just a go there in person. They are subject to the same Tesla phone hopping nonsense that every other service center deals with. You can realistically complete everything online and not step foot into the service center until you are ready to pick up, which actually talking to most people on our pick up day is pretty much what happened for them.

We went with Tesla financing because it was just easier. I probably could’ve gotten a little lower rate, we ended up with 2.4%, but that’s basically the difference of $10 a month what we put down so we didn’t really care. Tesla financing was very easy. You get your approval in most cases pretty fast, and then you just except the terms in your tesla account and you are good to go.

We ordered April 11 and took delivery on May 29 (Notified ready for pick up on May 27th). Judging on what others have said here I would plan on at least September if you order today. I remember Tesla completely sold out of its model Y production for quarter two mid May, so everyone getting a car now probably ordered at least before that point.

No federal rebate, but that might come up again. We’re supposed to see the “charge up New Jersey” rebate return for vehicles delivered after July 1, so you could probably take advantage of that. I’d keep my eyes posted though. Regardless, New Jersey does not assess sales tax on electric vehicles so you’re getting out of several thousand dollars just with that. We went ahead and purchased without any of the rebates because we just needed a new car and we 100% knew that we wanted a Tesla. which, by the way, is absolutely worth the wait.

Hi Trip,

Yes, I would recommend them. Just keep in mind that the best way to actually get in touch with the service center is just a go there in person. They are subject to the same Tesla phone hopping nonsense that every other service center deals with. You can realistically complete everything online and not step foot into the service center until you are ready to pick up, which actually talking to most people on our pick up day is pretty much what happened for them.
and we 100% knew that we wanted a Tesla. which, by the way, is absolutely worth the wait.

Thanks for all the information!! Did you also book a test drive through the Tesla showroom at the Short Hills Mall? If so, was that pretty seamless?

I'll definitely play around on Tesla.com and configure a MY LR every so often and see what the website estimates as delivery, and use that as a loose guideline.

Reactions: cancoi
Thanks for all the information!! Did you also book a test drive through the Tesla showroom at the Short Hills Mall? If so, was that pretty seamless?
Yup! Easy to schedule in-person. When you arrive they’ll direct you to the cars for a self-guided test drive. One of the reps at Short Hills showed us how to operate the Y in the gallery. They can’t discuss actually getting the car there though because it’s not a dealership, so if you want to potentially do everything same-day I’d schedule one at Springfield.

Yup! Easy to schedule in-person. When you arrive they’ll direct you to the cars for a self-guided test drive. One of the reps at Short Hills showed us how to operate the Y in the gallery. They can’t discuss actually getting the car there though because it’s not a dealership, so if you want to potentially do everything same-day I’d schedule one at Springfield.
Thanks again! It sounds like if I want both a test drive AND any financial, ordering, vehicle, etc. questions (and to possibly place an order on the spot!) I am better off going to Springfield SC and doing it all there rather than Short Hills mall?

Reactions: Mr_Bob and cancoi
I’m paying my total balance via wire transfer? The wire transfer could take a few hours or a day to complete between my bank and Tesla. If I wait until after I inspect the car, the wire transfer might not show up for a day but I will get a confirmation number from my bank immediately. Any advice on how to time a wire transfer?