Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Defects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my MYP on Sunday (3 days ago) and noticed defects on the car during delivery. Informed the rep about it and told me to take pictures of everything that I believe are defects and note it on the app. Once I did, I scheduled the earliest appointment available (tomorrow) and they finally got back to me today through the app saying “to temper your expectations a lot of these are normal”. Does anyone have experience with any of these defects (paint chip with bare metal showing almost looks like it’s about to rust, protruding trim and door, body panel gaps, stains, scratches on plastic trim (interior and exterior), and misaligned body.

I also posted this on my local Tesla FB group and someone said they had a similar issue and the rep told them they have a space tester and the measurement came out acceptable. Anyone know if they actually have a space tester? And as a consumer, is there a service document or guideline that shows these numbers they say are “acceptable”? For all we know, they could be making up numbers if there isn’t anything public.
058093E9-DCE4-40B6-9022-A063BF6A6C60.jpeg

Attachments

• 389B18B6-3A1C-405E-9120-00C53017A120.jpeg
    389B18B6-3A1C-405E-9120-00C53017A120.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 382
  • 9EC225A6-8931-4EE4-A4CD-72434AC37ECF.jpeg
    9EC225A6-8931-4EE4-A4CD-72434AC37ECF.jpeg
    348.5 KB · Views: 357
  • 4A5CF5FA-F855-44E4-BDC6-8B961544D422.jpeg
    4A5CF5FA-F855-44E4-BDC6-8B961544D422.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 364
  • 6D037141-1E87-43EA-8F64-25ED6A1CBFD0.jpeg
    6D037141-1E87-43EA-8F64-25ED6A1CBFD0.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 357
  • FDCE73A2-F5BE-4E77-B84B-39875A0C81CC.jpeg
    FDCE73A2-F5BE-4E77-B84B-39875A0C81CC.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 367
  • D3B1A89F-2046-4DCA-9ED0-B8CBB24687D2.jpeg
    D3B1A89F-2046-4DCA-9ED0-B8CBB24687D2.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 360
  • 164208CD-DBA9-4ED8-8560-401FEFDFD720.jpeg
    164208CD-DBA9-4ED8-8560-401FEFDFD720.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 362
  • 0EE33636-972F-4595-914A-B4CE6D1EBCF5.jpeg
    0EE33636-972F-4595-914A-B4CE6D1EBCF5.jpeg
    668.1 KB · Views: 358
These quality defects are not normal for a car that costs more than $30,000.

With traditional dealers, they would fix these issues before taking your money.

Since you paid these defects upfront, there's no incentive for it to fix them since the funding was secured.
I was surprised when they messaged me saying normal. Especially for something more than $30k. Almost feels like I’m getting service from a small used car dealership.

I’m not even the type of person who nitpicks at things. I had no complaints with my model 3 even though it wasn’t perfect. But the issues I pointed out to them just seems reasonable especially if you paid for the amount they are going for.

Just whack your car with a hammer somewhere and you'll stop caring about these little things.

Or I could’ve just bought a brand new Honda and wouldn’t have cared about these “little things” since I would’ve paid way less for it. I wouldn’t go as far as little things when talking about rock chips especially if you live in a place that’s surrounded by salt water. I’ve seen these things grow into a larger paint/structural problem down the road when water, salt, dirt gets under the paint.

I'm sorry you had this experience. I will say the paint chip and the stuffed trim should be fixed. The gaps unfortunately are most likely going to be within spec unfortunately. Also, if they start adjusting panels and realigning it may create more problems then it solves.

I tell everyone if your not happy with the exterior DO NOT ACCEPT DELIVERY! This is the only way Tesla will improve quality is if buyers refuse to accept poor quality. Any car that isn't to your liking REJECT.

I'm sorry you had this experience. I will say the paint chip and the stuffed trim should be fixed. The gaps unfortunately are most likely going to be within spec unfortunately. Also, if they start adjusting panels and realigning it may create more problems then it solves.

I tell everyone if your not happy with the exterior DO NOT ACCEPT DELIVERY! This is the only way Tesla will improve quality is if buyers refuse to accept poor quality. Any car that isn't to your liking REJECT.
I think folks have been waiting so long for their car in anticipation that not accepting delivery and being put back in a queue is a difficult thing to do. I'm sure the defective car will be passed down to the next person in line that may not care as much.

In my opinion, the only way Tesla will improve is having more competition. There is no direct competitor for the MY (price, features, charging network) right now.

I think folks have been waiting so long for their car in anticipation that not accepting delivery and being put back in a queue is a difficult thing to do. I'm sure the defective car will be passed down to the next person in line that may not care as much.

In my opinion, the only way Tesla will improve is having more competition. There is no direct competitor for the MY (price, features, charging network) right now.
Yeah that's true. It shouldn't be acceptable though. Maybe in the beginning but they have been producing cars for over a decade now. Time to up their quality.

Reactions: bobbyjae
Yeah that's true. It shouldn't be acceptable though. Maybe in the beginning but they have been producing cars for over a decade now. Time to up their quality.
10 year of production is still baby phase, especially with new technology (EV) that needs more attention than traditional ICE production. 100+ years of ICE production still have the same problems, so it will take more time/money/effort to improve.

10 year of production is still baby phase, especially with new technology (EV) that needs more attention than traditional ICE production. 100+ years of ICE production still have the same problems, so it will take more time/money/effort to improve.
yes, but Tesla has access to all the latest technology available today. Other manufacturers do not have these kinds of quality issues which is why folks are always pointing them out with Tesla. Yes, I agree 10 years is young but Tesla needs to seriously focus on quality for long term success.

You have to push back and stand your ground, or they will walk over you. Besides, the SC folks have minimal training; get the cars in/out as quickly as poissble. You can request all 9 items you documented, they will fix 2. MAKE ANOTHER APPOINTMENT, they will fix 2 more and so on until they say its WITHIN SPEC

Last edited:
Reactions: Happy Hippo
You have to push back and stand your ground, or they will walk over you. Besides, the SC folks have minimal training; get the cars in/out as quickly as poissble. You can request all 9 items you documented, they will fix 2. MAKE ANOTHER APPOINTMENT, they will fix 2 more and so on until they say its WITHIN SPEC
Just got back from dropping it off at the SC. They ended up agreeing to fix all the problems except for 2 (front passenger door gap and taillight gap). They informed me the front passenger was within 1mm of the opposite side (driver side) and the tail light which they said is fixed so they couldn’t do anything about it.