Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery delayed a week due to "fit-and-finish" issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a call from Tyco Rd. today. They need to reschedule my delivery tomorrow to mid next-week due to "fit-and-finish" issues. I've asked for a detailed list of the issues, as I want to know exactly what is being addressed, and they said "they will do their best" to provide me a list. While I appreciate them taking the time to address these issues before I see them, I'm concerned about how extensive the repairs need to be.

I'm convinced my 59xx VIN was shipped before the supposed extra QA factor inspections. Before COVID lock-downs, I did see a blue MY in Tyco's service area with the hatch removed, rear paint sanded, body filler in the rear panels, and basically an entire new paint job on the back half of the car. This is NOT something I would ever accept, and will reject a new car in this condition.

I'm planning on going there in-person either late today or tomorrow to see the car myself, honestly, whether they like it or not. With a purchase of this dollar amount, I feel I have the right to know what "fit-and-finish" issues are being addressed.

Thoughts anyone can share with me about what to do? Anyone else have this happen? I think it is incredibly unfair if the condition of the car is unacceptable to me, and I cannot simply ask for the next in line, and I'm forced to get a different configuration, when this is absolutely the configuration I wanted. I will be very disappointed if this results in me moving away from Tesla.

I received a call from Tyco Rd. today. They need to reschedule my delivery tomorrow to mid next-week due to "fit-and-finish" issues. I've asked for a detailed list of the issues, as I want to know exactly what is being addressed, and they said "they will do their best" to provide me a list. While I appreciate them taking the time to address these issues before I see them, I'm concerned about how extensive the repairs need to be.

I'm convinced my 59xx VIN was shipped before the supposed extra QA factor inspections. Before COVID lock-downs, I did see a blue MY in Tyco's service area with the hatch removed, rear paint sanded, body filler in the rear panels, and basically an entire new paint job on the back half of the car. This is NOT something I would ever accept, and will reject a new car in this condition.

I'm planning on going there in-person either late today or tomorrow to see the car myself, honestly, whether they like it or not. With a purchase of this dollar amount, I feel I have the right to know what "fit-and-finish" issues are being addressed.

Thoughts anyone can share with me about what to do? Anyone else have this happen? I think it is incredibly unfair if the condition of the car is unacceptable to me, and I cannot simply ask for the next in line, and I'm forced to get a different configuration, when this is absolutely the configuration I wanted. I will be very disappointed if this results in me moving away from Tesla.
It's a really good sign they are catching it now and correcting any issues, they would have done the exact same thing at the factory you just wouldn't have heard about it. It would be much worse if you discovered these after you picked it up. I'd honestly take it as a positive as opposed to a negative, this is a sign of a good service/delivery center.

All I can say is try to temper your enthusiasm for picking up your new vehicle and really take your time inspecting it before accepting delivery (if you choose to do so). I can't count the number of times we've spoken to customers regarding this issue and the story is nearly always the same. "I didn't see it until I got home because I was too excited."

I can't really speak about the quality of the Y's yet since we haven't seen enough. However, like Nevada said, I'd say this is more positive than negative. At the very least they're doing some actual QC these days and are being up front about it. We've also given our assessment and opinion to customers that refused delivery, ended up waiting, and still wound up with similar issues on their second vehicle. It's never a guarantee, unfortunately.

Awaiting a MSM MY and I am wondering about this issue when it shows up for delivery: If I notice paint issues such as fish eyes or nibs or swirls (or any other quality issues) will they be willing to fix them prior to me accepting delivery at the Tesla center?

Sorry I hope I'm not hijacking this thread it's just related to this larger issue of what they will repair vs. what they will tell you to live with. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Hey thanks mtndrew1, the paint depth gauge is a good idea. I guess I'm more questioning what they will be willing to fix with paint imperfections like nibs and fish eyes, and if they will fix before I take delivery vs. schedule a fix vs. tell me to like it or leave it?

Also what is the paint depth that one should complain about?

Hey thanks mtndrew1, the paint depth gauge is a good idea. I guess I'm more questioning what they will be willing to fix with paint imperfections like nibs and fish eyes, and if they will fix before I take delivery vs. schedule a fix vs. tell me to like it or leave it?

Also what is the paint depth that one should complain about?

Well it’s more to determine what they repainted. Tesla paint is a bit crap and it’s historically been thin from the factory.

If there’s significantly thicker paint on some panels of the car it would imply that those areas have been resprayed. Aftermarket paint jobs are almost always thicker than factory on any car.

As a buyer my only concern would be fading over time but most body shops have a lifetime guarantee on their work. If Tesla is willing to provide this warranty from the shop that did the work I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the car. It’s kind of remarkable that they’re fixing it in the first place.

Well it’s more to determine what they repainted. Tesla paint is a bit crap and it’s historically been thin from the factory.

If there’s significantly thicker paint on some panels of the car it would imply that those areas have been resprayed. Aftermarket paint jobs are almost always thicker than factory on any car.

As a buyer my only concern would be fading over time but most body shops have a lifetime guarantee on their work. If Tesla is willing to provide this warranty from the shop that did the work I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the car. It’s kind of remarkable that they’re fixing it in the first place.

This right here.

• Funny
Reactions: raggedy
I couldn't get anywhere with Tyco Rd over the phone, so I physically drove there to ask questions and see the car. They outright refused to let me see it, stating that customers seeing cars before delivery is "not allowed". The did, however, show me what was written up for the car in their system, and it stated:

- Misaligned driver door
- Paint on rear of hatch needs to be corrected
- Dent on right-side rear quarter panel behind the rear door

There is no description of how bad these items are, or whether the dent was caused during shipment or from the factory. They promised and made a very big deal that they only deliver "prefect cars" to the customers, or they don't get delivered, and that I will still get an opportunity to inspect of course when it is ready for delivery. They said all of this documentation about damage is permanent with the vehicle, and I asked that I get all of this at writing at delivery, and that all the work is guaranteed. I didn't get a warm-fuzzy that they will be providing this info to me as I'm asking for, so I may have to go to Tesla corporate for this info. The rep also stated that they did not physically have the car at Tyco Rd, and the work had to be outsourced as they didn't have the capability on-site to perform this type of repair. I thought they could paint and do full work on site?? I found that hard to believe.

Yes, I know, many new cars have damage that we never know about, as cars are painted both at ports-of-entry and at dealerships all the time, and sold as brand-new cars. But honestly, I would have felt better not knowing, and if they put filler in the quarter and re-paint, that just feels crappy for a new car.

I guess I'll see how it all turns out next week...

I couldn't get anywhere with Tyco Rd over the phone, so I physically drove there to ask questions and see the car. They outright refused to let me see it, stating that customers seeing cars before delivery is "not allowed". The did, however, show me what was written up for the car in their system, and it stated:

- Misaligned driver door
- Paint on rear of hatch needs to be corrected
- Dent on right-side rear quarter panel behind the rear door

There is no description of how bad these items are, or whether the dent was caused during shipment or from the factory. They promised and made a very big deal that they only deliver "prefect cars" to the customers, or they don't get delivered, and that I will still get an opportunity to inspect of course when it is ready for delivery. They said all of this documentation about damage is permanent with the vehicle, and I asked that I get all of this at writing at delivery, and that all the work is guaranteed. I didn't get a warm-fuzzy that they will be providing this info to me as I'm asking for, so I may have to go to Tesla corporate for this info. The rep also stated that they did not physically have the car at Tyco Rd, and the work had to be outsourced as they didn't have the capability on-site to perform this type of repair. I thought they could paint and do full work on site?? I found that hard to believe.

Yes, I know, many new cars have damage that we never know about, as cars are painted both at ports-of-entry and at dealerships all the time, and sold as brand-new cars. But honestly, I would have felt better not knowing, and if they put filler in the quarter and re-paint, that just feels crappy for a new car.

I guess I'll see how it all turns out next week...

Tesla service centers definitely don’t have paint and body shops. Tesla has a handful of their own body shops but I don’t believe any of them are on site at the SCs.

It sounds like a minor shipping dent they’ll handle with paintless dent removal and some wet sanding or something to correct a blemish on the hatch. I wouldn’t sweat it.

I got a call from Tyco Rd in No. Virginia yesterday for the same reason - "fit and finish" issues. My blue Mod Y, AWD, LR, FSD, VIN 61xx was suppose to be delivered today, but delivery is now set for next Wednesday. They have my money and my insurance started today, but my garage is empty.

• Informative
Reactions: Aleks0404
welcome to the club. As someone replied to me earlier in the thread, at least Tyco is taking the time to make it right before we are disappointed at delivery and have to point out to them what needs to be addressed. Of course, no guarantee (regardless of what the rep said), that I won't find anything next week, but hopefully it is much better than it arrived to Tyco looking like.

Talked to Tyco today...they said their detail shop cannot fix the paint issues on the hatch, so they are sending out the car to a local Tesla-certified body shop and the rear hatch will be repainted. They said the paint had too much dirt in it and it was unacceptable. They did say they fixed the dented quarter panel with paintless dent removal. They changed my delivery date again to next Monday the 15th, which is the third change since my original delivery date.

They did state again they aren't willing to give customers sub-quality cars, and I let them know I appreciate that. It still feels crappy that my new car needs to be repainted, even though the rear hatch is a relatively small portion of the body. I really hope after all of this I am not going to arrive at delivery and find additional paint issues that others have found, or even interior issues. Still have those to verify. Geez. In 30 years of driving, I've never had to think about any of this with a new vehicle delivery.

Anything specific the group can warn me about with the hatch being repainted?

In 30 years of driving, I've never had to think about any of this with a new vehicle delivery.

Part of this seems to be a consequence of removing the distributors and/or independent dealerships from the equation. Removing them saves time and expense of having someone in the middle, but the value they were adding to the process (which, I agree, may vary and could be debatable in some instances) has to either be replaced by Tesla or we do without.

Talked to Tyco today...they said their detail shop cannot fix the paint issues on the hatch, so they are sending out the car to a local Tesla-certified body shop and the rear hatch will be repainted. They said the paint had too much dirt in it and it was unacceptable. They did say they fixed the dented quarter panel with paintless dent removal. They changed my delivery date again to next Monday the 15th, which is the third change since my original delivery date.

They did state again they aren't willing to give customers sub-quality cars, and I let them know I appreciate that. It still feels crappy that my new car needs to be repainted, even though the rear hatch is a relatively small portion of the body. I really hope after all of this I am not going to arrive at delivery and find additional paint issues that others have found, or even interior issues. Still have those to verify. Geez. In 30 years of driving, I've never had to think about any of this with a new vehicle delivery.

Anything specific the group can warn me about with the hatch being repainted?

The body shops they certify tend to be first rate, and the experience with those in this forum confirms that. YMMV, but I wouldn't be too worried.