Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery delayed a week due to "fit-and-finish" issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With most cars, I'd say a local paint shop is likely inferior to the factory. With Tesla, the more you can get a local shop to paint, the better. ;)

Whenever I’ve had crash damage repaired at a certified shop (BMW, Audi, etc) the paint/fit/finish always exceeded the factory job by a mile. I had a rear passenger door replaced on an Audi Q7 once after a collision, and that was the best closing door on the car after that, haha!! Loved hearing that beautiful “thunk” whenever I closed the door.

Point is: I would welcome a full repaint by a certified shop. Much better than an attempted repair by a SC.

Talked to Tyco today...they said their detail shop cannot fix the paint issues on the hatch, so they are sending out the car to a local Tesla-certified body shop and the rear hatch will be repainted. They said the paint had too much dirt in it and it was unacceptable. They did say they fixed the dented quarter panel with paintless dent removal. They changed my delivery date again to next Monday the 15th, which is the third change since my original delivery date.

They did state again they aren't willing to give customers sub-quality cars, and I let them know I appreciate that. It still feels crappy that my new car needs to be repainted, even though the rear hatch is a relatively small portion of the body. I really hope after all of this I am not going to arrive at delivery and find additional paint issues that others have found, or even interior issues. Still have those to verify. Geez. In 30 years of driving, I've never had to think about any of this with a new vehicle delivery.

Anything specific the group can warn me about with the hatch being repainted?

I used to work for an auto manufacturer and you might be surprised to know the number of cars that get paint and body work before reaching the dealer.

Most automakers have body shops at ports and railheads for just this purpose. I was personally involved with arranging nearly 250 cars damaged at a railhead to be wet sanded and color matched before delivery with no notice to the customers.

Legally a manufacturer is allowed to do a certain amount of body work without disclosure before delivering the car so it’s quite possible a car you’ve previously purchased has had the same type of repair.

Don’t sweat it.

• Informative
Reactions: mboni and MP3Mike
I found so many issues with my model Y (white/black interior/20 inch inductions wheels/no FSD) on the day of delivery, the delivery associate apologized and took the car back. I was asked to come back 1 week later. SC is sending the car to a 3rd party shop and ordering broken parts. I hope I have better luck next Saturday.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0894.jpg
    IMG_0894.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 72
  • image012.jpg
    image012.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 77
I found so many issues with my model Y (white/black interior/20 inch inductions wheels/no FSD) on the day of delivery, the delivery associate apologized and took the car back. I was asked to come back 1 week later. SC is sending the car to a 3rd party shop and ordering broken parts. I hope I have better luck next Saturday.

Attachments

• 5B2855E5-C5AF-485D-916D-65EE7AD72F6A.jpeg
    5B2855E5-C5AF-485D-916D-65EE7AD72F6A.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 724D311C-4616-414D-98DD-BA787C0F5D8A.jpeg
    724D311C-4616-414D-98DD-BA787C0F5D8A.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 69F8954E-8840-42F4-9454-503FDBB849D8.jpeg
    69F8954E-8840-42F4-9454-503FDBB849D8.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 9B479A89-2051-4EC5-94E8-AAAE87071B78.jpeg
    9B479A89-2051-4EC5-94E8-AAAE87071B78.jpeg
    373.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 548E159C-C91D-42D8-B106-C72B53225AD2.jpeg
    548E159C-C91D-42D8-B106-C72B53225AD2.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 99
Holy crap! That's a lot! Glad you took the time to find and point out all these issues and equally glad the delivery associate was understanding.

Damn! I have 12 more nights/sleeps before I am scheduled to pick up mine. I was hoping those were going to be pleasant dreams, but now I fear nightmares after seeing your posts...

Damn! I have 12 more nights/sleeps before I am scheduled to pick up mine. I was hoping those were going to be pleasant dreams, but now I fear nightmares after seeing your posts...
You are statistically far more likely to find a trouble-free car than the nightmare described here.

Bad experiences are probably more related to the specific delivery center than systemic issues.

You are statistically far more likely to find a trouble-free car than the nightmare described here.

Bad experiences are probably more related to the specific delivery center than systemic issues.

I agree but you do not know my history of bad luck. If you had the number of close calls in airplanes that I have had, you'd probably never fly again. Birds into engines, blown tires on landing, crazy delays and lost luggage stories and more. Every time I have to fly for work, I tell my coworkers to book a different flight, and they usually do. Statistically I should have never had a quarter of these happen to me given how often I fly, yet they keep on coming. So when it comes to this kind of stuff, I want to keep a positive attitude but ...

• Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude
I agree but you do not know my history of bad luck. If you had the number of close calls in airplanes that I have had, you'd probably never fly again. Birds into engines, blown tires on landing, crazy delays and lost luggage stories and more. Every time I have to fly for work, I tell my coworkers to book a different flight, and they usually do. Statistically I should have never had a quarter of these happen to me given how often I fly, yet they keep on coming. So when it comes to this kind of stuff, I want to keep a positive attitude but ...

Actually, you seem to be pretty lucky. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude
On second thought, I'm going to call back Tyco tomorrow and ask that they provide the body shop they are using. The closest Tesla-Approved body shop is actually Tesla Body Repair in Rockville. I don't know what their quality is, but if they send to one of the body shops that I know very well in the list of Virginia body shops, I'm absolutely surrendering this VIN and asking for another one. I wouldn't have that shop pay me for them to paint my car.

In DaveORD’s way of counting, I’ve got 1 day and 2 sleeps left before my MY delivery. I’m going to try my best to be calm and do a thorough inspection before I accept it. As we all know, excitement can get the best of us. Taking delivery at Indianapolis. I’ve been told people have had good service experiences there. Here’s hoping!

I received a call from Tyco Rd. today. They need to reschedule my delivery tomorrow to mid next-week due to "fit-and-finish" issues. I've asked for a detailed list of the issues, as I want to know exactly what is being addressed, and they said "they will do their best" to provide me a list. While I appreciate them taking the time to address these issues before I see them, I'm concerned about how extensive the repairs need to be.

I'm convinced my 59xx VIN was shipped before the supposed extra QA factor inspections. Before COVID lock-downs, I did see a blue MY in Tyco's service area with the hatch removed, rear paint sanded, body filler in the rear panels, and basically an entire new paint job on the back half of the car. This is NOT something I would ever accept, and will reject a new car in this condition.

I'm planning on going there in-person either late today or tomorrow to see the car myself, honestly, whether they like it or not. With a purchase of this dollar amount, I feel I have the right to know what "fit-and-finish" issues are being addressed.

Thoughts anyone can share with me about what to do? Anyone else have this happen? I think it is incredibly unfair if the condition of the car is unacceptable to me, and I cannot simply ask for the next in line, and I'm forced to get a different configuration, when this is absolutely the configuration I wanted. I will be very disappointed if this results in me moving away from Tesla.
Add me to list. Got delivery notice 2 weeks ago tyco center. 2 days before delivery call that my car had fit and finish problems and would be delayed for another week. Vin 588X. 2 days before my 2nd scheduled delivery another call telling me my car had arrived and had fit and finish problems and when I told them I was told same thing a week ago. I asked why it was taking so long to fix these issues. They admitted damage to vehicle. I asked what damage and told they didnt know but are awaiting a new door seal and didn’t know when they would get it. I asked where it was damaged and they said in transport. I asked if it required paint and they didn’t know. I am unable to figure out how a door seal gets damaged to require replacement without external damage. Anyway I asked for a different vin since they could not give me details and wouldn’t allow me to look at it. They agreed but said they couldn’t tell me when I would get another vin-but I said that you can’t tell me when I would get the one shipped. This is my seventh tesla and have never experienced this before (had a roadster sport, model s, model x and 3 model 3) and am disappointed by their lack of clarity as an owner and 8 year investor 9with 10s of million in stock)

• Informative
Reactions: gundarx
Scheduled delivery in MD for 6/3. Got a call on 6/2 to say the roof was broken. I requested a new VIN that day. 6/8, got a new VIN and the car left CA on it's way to MD on 6/8 as well. Hopefully I'll have it in a week or so.

• Informative
Reactions: babywasbees