Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Dependent on Dealership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I am new to TMC. I ordered a Model S LR (originally in December and then refreshed order in February). Does anyone know if delivery is at all based on the dealership? In other words, are some dealerships in Southern California getting deliveries and others not? I am seeing some deliveries but my SA is saying her dealership isn’t getting any.

FYI, they're not "dealerships" -- all Tesla stores are corporate owned and operated. They're just Tesla Sales or Service Centers.

While they are owned and operated by Tesla, they are still "dealerships" as they have dealership licenses which are required for them to legally sell (used) cars at a volume, sell at dealership-only auctions, avoid paying sales on used cars they buy (trade-ins), etc. They may not be "franchised" dealerships but they are still dealerships.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I guess my question is whether I would have any luck if I switched sales centers. Probably not, I guess.

Not likely, at least not in the same geographic region. Some sales advisors are better than others as far as taking the time to search out cars for their customers. keeping customers informed of new availability, new discounts, etc. but they all essentially have access to the same inventory information including inventory NOT posted online.

Upvote 0
While they are owned and operated by Tesla, they are still "dealerships" as they have dealership licenses which are required for them to legally sell (used) cars at a volume, sell at dealership-only auctions, avoid paying sales on used cars they buy (trade-ins), etc. They may not be "franchised" dealerships but they are still dealerships.
They are not. They are corporate owned stores.

Upvote 0
They are not. They are corporate owned stores.

That doesn't mean they're not dealerships. CarMax locations are all "corporate owned" but that doesn't mean they're not dealerships. How else is Tesla able to sell used cars as they do? Sell cars at dealership-only auctions as they do? Buy used cars without paying sales tax (in states with sales tax) as they do? These kinds of things require dealership licenses.

Tesla can call their facilities stores or whatever they want but they are still technically and legally dealerships.

Reactions: croman
Upvote 0
You can call them whatever you want, but they’re not dealerships. Just because they have a license to sell cars in most states does not mean they are. There is nothing “dealer” about Tesla owned stores. There’s no middleman, or “dealer” here. Each Tesla store location does not act independently from any other store. Tesla corporate can go to the dealer-only auctions, it’s not based on each individual store location. Therefore each location is not, and should be not, called a “ dealership”. It’s outdated terminology as a holdback from when all car lots were actual dealers and dealerships. Tesla does not and will not fit that antiquated business model.

Reactions: doubleshot
Upvote 0
That doesn't mean they're not dealerships. CarMax locations are all "corporate owned" but that doesn't mean they're not dealerships. How else is Tesla able to sell used cars as they do? Sell cars at dealership-only auctions as they do? Buy used cars without paying sales tax (in states with sales tax) as they do? These kinds of things require dealership licenses.

Tesla can call their facilities stores or whatever they want but they are still technically and legally dealerships.
I would not consider Tesla physical locations a "dealership." Wisconsin doesn't legally consider them a dealership and residents are not allowed to take delivery of Tesla cars, we need take possession in a different state.

Upvote 0

A car dealership, or vehicle local distribution, is a business that sells new or used cars at the retail level, based on a dealership contract with an automaker or its sales subsidiary.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Upvote 0
You can call them whatever you want, but they’re not dealerships. Just because they have a license to sell cars in most states does not mean they are. There is nothing “dealer” about Tesla owned stores. There’s no middleman, or “dealer” here. Each Tesla store location does not act independently from any other store. Tesla corporate can go to the dealer-only auctions, it’s not based on each individual store location. Therefore each location is not, and should be not, called a “ dealership”. It’s outdated terminology as a holdback from when all car lots were actual dealers and dealerships. Tesla does not and will not fit that antiquated business model.

It's not about what I may or may not want to call them, various Tesla locations are technically and legally dealerships. This is regardless of who pays the overhead, gets the profits, tries to lowball on trades, offers discounts on inventory vehicles, hires some competent, honest and some less component, less honest sales reps and so on.

Upvote 0
I would not consider Tesla physical locations a "dealership." Wisconsin doesn't legally consider them a dealership and residents are not allowed to take delivery of Tesla cars, we need take possession in a different state.

Those issues were specifically related to the franchise laws regarding dealerships. In state's that made an exception for Tesla regarding the franchise laws, Tesla still had to follow broader dealership licensing requirements thereby technically and legally making those various "store" locations dealerships. It's not whether or not I "consider" various Tesla stores dealerships, they are dealerships.

Upvote 0
Ugh, please just stop.

Tesla Motors has rejected the dealership sales model based on the idea that dealerships do not properly explain the advantages of their cars, and they could not rely on third party dealerships to handle their sales. However, in the United States, direct manufacturer auto sales are prohibited in almost every state by franchise laws requiring that new cars be sold only by dealers.[10] In response, Tesla has opened city centre galleries where prospective customers can view cars that can only be ordered online.[11][12] These stores were inspired by the Apple Stores.[13] Tesla's model was the first of its kind, and has given them unique advantages as a new car company.[14]

Tesla's strategy of direct customer sales and owning stores and service centers is different from the standard dealership model in the US vehicle marketplace.[27] Tesla is the only manufacturer that currently sells cars directly to customers; all other automakers use independently owned dealerships[28][29] although some automakers provide online configuration and financing.[30][31][32] Forty-eight states have laws that limit or ban manufacturers from selling vehicles directly to consumers,[33][34][35] and although Tesla has no independent dealerships, dealership associations in multiple states have filed numerous lawsuits against Tesla, to prevent the company from selling cars. North Carolina and New Hampshire sided with Tesla, while Virginia and Texas sided with dealers.[36]

Reactions: boonedocks
Upvote 0
A car dealership, or vehicle local distribution, is a business that sells new or used cars at the retail level, based on a dealership contract with an automaker or its sales subsidiary.

Since not all dealerships sell new cars, they is no "contact" relationship with an automaker or its subsidiary required to be a dealership. While Tesla does sell new cars, they also sell used cars and technically and legally operate dealerships.

Upvote 0
Since not all dealerships sell new cars, they is no "contact" relationship with an automaker or its subsidiary required to be a dealership. While Tesla does sell new cars, they also sell used cars and technically and legally operate dealerships.
Wow you are really in your own delusional little world...Carry on

1626183521114.png

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Upvote 0
You guys are legit arguing online about one person wanting to call it a dealership and one person wanting to call it a store.
and you’re strangers.

the internet is a trip! Just wanted to bring some perspective.

to answer OP’s question, AFAIK Teslas network does not operate like traditional ICE. Meaning, with AMG as an example, some are performance centers that get priority allocations for clients based on spend. Ferrari, Lambo, obv same way, spend more, get priority, dealers in high volume areas with lots of big spenders therefore get more allocations. In my experience with Tesla, doesn’t seem to be that way at all.

Upvote 0
You guys are legit arguing online about one person wanting to call it a dealership and one person wanting to call it a store.

Yes, and even though I tend to refer to them as stores, I think both terms are appropriate. It was perfectly reasonable for the OP, and others who do the same, to call various Tesla stores dealerships since they technically and legally are dealerships. Tesla has applied for and been granted dealership licenses in many states and operates using those licenses. Dealerships have been called or referred to as stores for ages, long before Tesla came along, but calling them stores didn’t mean they weren’t dealerships and vice versa.

I simply felt that suggesting one term isn't correct or acceptable was wrong and it went from there, as things can on forums.

Whether Tesla stores/dealerships are "better" or "worse" than other stores/dealerships is a different discussion.

Upvote 0