Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery estimates, factory queues, and how to not muck it up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pulled an existing inventory model 3 in Marina Del Rey. I ordered Monday and went through some hell with Tesla on Tuesday, but I am picking it up Friday. I was given the option to get it tomorrow but it doesn't work for me. The trick is hunt the existing inventory(if you can) for your config.
Wow congrats. When I search existing inventory with a 200 mile radius, I never see anything, and Marina Del Rey is within that radius.

Can anyone tell me what delivery estimates you see when you go to order a M3 SR on Teslas website? Currently, when I go to order one, there is no delivery estimates (4-8 weeks/January, etc) on my end. I want to order a model 3 for my wife and am willing to wait, but just wondering what any of you have as “estimated delivery”.
Thank you!

Can anyone tell me what delivery estimates you see when you go to order a M3 SR on Teslas website? Currently, when I go to order one, there is no delivery estimates (4-8 weeks/January, etc) on my end. I want to order a model 3 for my wife and am willing to wait, but just wondering what any of you have as “estimated delivery”.
Thank you!
I only see January. No dates

Reactions: MTBevrider
ordered 11th july and no date or indication. the web site was saying september until 20th august now november. so nearly 2 months and no vin or indication of a date. some new cars were available couple of weeks ago soon went.

I too have been told that I am to get my VIN this week, but not sure what that means for pickup date. I will be on vacation for a couple weeks at end of August and am very worried that I will miss my pickup window. Does anyone know if the Tesla lot holds the vehicle for you or can you schedule your pickup date to whenever you want? Or do they tell you what day you have to be at the lot to pickup the car?
Paul - hopefully timing is working out OK for you, as they generally will not hold the vehicle and will put you back in the queue if you can't take delivery within a few days of delivery to the store.

As you are in DC, that should be ~2 weeks after you get the VIN, somewhere around the end of this week, perhaps right after Labor Day depending on how the holiday weekend impacts their transport/delivery prep time.

Am I the only one who keeps refreshing the order dashboard page, hoping that the delivery date will become sooner? 😂
I ordered on July 31 with an anticipated EDD set for November.
On 9/2, my EDD changed to September 19 - September 30.
On 9/19, my EDD changed to September 28 - September 30.
I'll keep you posted on what it'll change to next Tuesday.

Long story short, No, you are not the only one refreshing the dashboard page.
Tesla is really playing with our emotions!

I ordered on July 31 with an anticipated EDD set for November.
On 9/2, my EDD changed to September 19 - September 30.
On 9/19, my EDD changed to September 28 - September 30.
I'll keep you posted on what it'll change to next Tuesday.

Long story short, No, you are not the only one refreshing the dashboard page.
Tesla is really playing with our emotions!
Did you ever receive delivery?

I spoke with a rep at the SC and she kindly explained how the delivery queue works. I didn't see this elsewhere in the forum so I thought I'd share.

I live in San Francisco, CA and I'm waiting for my M3 LR that I ordered back in June, over 6 weeks ago. The original delivery estimate was 8-12 weeks, then 4-6, then 1-2, then I got the call, can I pick it up tomorrow? No, I wasn't available and I stupidly declined delivery and rescheduled. Then my delivery estimate went back to 4-6 weeks. Now it's 5-10 weeks and Tesla said on their investor call 7/26 that the global chip shortages will impact deliveries in Q3-Q4. Great.

I call the nice lady and say I want a Tesla now, give me anything you have, even if the color's s*** brown. She laughed and said they don't have any. She said people have been waiting since April 2021 for a car and still don't have delivery now and it's almost August. Then, the magic was revealed.

Tesla prioritizes delivery based on:

1) Order date
2) Date you completed the account paperwork (insurance etc.)
3) Your position in the queue for your specific build of the car (M3 SR vs M3 LR vs M3P etc.)

Here's the fun bit: when you decline delivery, you reset your position in the queue. If you've ordered a popular build, that can destroy your delivery time because it puts you back at the end of the queue. Factory production is apparently straight to consumer; these cars still sell like hot cakes despite all the build quality issues.

There's another magic trick: there's a "I'll take anything!" flag they can set on your account so that if someone declines delivery, even if it doesn't match your specs, they'll harvest lucky souls from that anything-goes queue and you could get a call.

I almost bought a Chevy Bolt EV until I drove it and realized it was as cheap a ride as everyone says. The suspension is awful.

I'm anxiously awaiting delivery so I can see the Tesla Model 3 wonderfully misaligned panels, doors that won't close, and scratched hubcaps for myself. Be nice, this isn't reddit.
So I heard about this. I called SC and they confirmed this to me. They even gave me a trick too. If you plan on leasing click cash then contact them once you have a VIN then you can apply for leasing. BUT!! I called again because I had no EDD for a few weeks(still don’t) and he explained the trick with cash no long matters as it doesn’t work that way anymore. I guess it wouldn’t make sense to apply for leasing when you car is coming in April 2022.