Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery estimates for inventory vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered Model Y couple of weeks back with delivery estimates of Jan - Apr 2023. But today afternoon, I was able to find an inventory vehicle (DEMO) with 40 miles and the same configuration as my original order. Only difference was the demo vehicle has black interior as opposed to my custom order with white interior. I clicked buy asap and was able to order the DEMO vehicle which is in Mesa, AZ and I'm in Seattle area. On my Tesla account, estimated delivery says July 14 - 18th. It's going to take few days for them to transport from AZ to Seattle.

Just wondering, if anyone recently ordered inventory vehicle in another city and how long it took actually to deliver? I don't believe Tesla's estimate of July 14 - 18, I'll be happy if it comes within couple of weeks.

I ordered Model Y couple of weeks back with delivery estimates of Jan - Apr 2023. But today afternoon, I was able to find an inventory vehicle (DEMO) with 40 miles and the same configuration as my original order. Only difference was the demo vehicle has black interior as opposed to my custom order with white interior. I clicked buy asap and was able to order the DEMO vehicle which is in Mesa, AZ and I'm in Seattle area. On my Tesla account, estimated delivery says July 14 - 18th. It's going to take few days for them to transport from AZ to Seattle.

Just wondering, if anyone recently ordered inventory vehicle in another city and how long it took actually to deliver? I don't believe Tesla's estimate of July 14 - 18, I'll be happy if it comes within couple of weeks.
demo vehicle sitting on a lot ready to go... also every test driver, has mashed the accelerator to test acceleration...there not well cared for thats for sure, seen a few demo units near me, curb rash, dents, chip window

I never see inventory vehicles, do they just pop up and then there’s nothing?

There are sites if you Google who will search for inventory vehicles and you can sign up for instant notifications when they become available. Generally you got to be quick and order within few seconds of seeing a notification since they will be gone in couple of seconds.

Reactions: RCHume
demo vehicle sitting on a lot ready to go... also every test driver, has mashed the accelerator to test acceleration...there not well cared for thats for sure, seen a few demo units near me, curb rash, dents, chip window

Bought a demo back in the fall 2021 with no issues. Immaculate. I saw the Dashcam footage and it was mostly retired folks in Naples. 900+ miles on it.

I didn’t know Tesla was transporting cars between centers because of transport costs. Usually a demo is available within days of showing up on the inventory. Mine was. Probably 5-7 days for me because they did have to truck it from Naples to Orlando.

Reactions: cartech
Obviously not relevant for Model Ys but there have been many Plaids sitting in stock, there are 12 listed around Miami right now

Tough to get a full picture with the way the New Inventory search is set up by zip code

There are sites if you Google who will search for inventory vehicles and you can sign up for instant notifications when they become available. Generally you got to be quick and order within few seconds of seeing a notification since they will be gone in couple of seconds.
I picked my demo vehicle on July 26th and it's in great condition. Probably because it only had 40 miles. May be it was originally meant to be used for demo but changed to inventory given the shortages.

We tried this in March 2021 with the SR Y. The car was in PA. We were in CA. After two missed delivery windows (20 days total elapsed) we finally got someone to admit that the car would sit there until they had a full trailer coming back west (2 month estimate). Delivery manager in CA made a stink and got us switched to a new car from the factory and released that car to someone else.

Bottom line is they shouldn’t allow inventory cars to be sold outside of the local area and make you pick them up.

We tried this in March 2021 with the SR Y. The car was in PA. We were in CA. After two missed delivery windows (20 days total elapsed) we finally got someone to admit that the car would sit there until they had a full trailer coming back west (2 month estimate). Delivery manager in CA made a stink and got us switched to a new car from the factory and released that car to someone else.

Bottom line is they shouldn’t allow inventory cars to be sold outside of the local area and make you pick them up.
Were they making you pay to move the car? I ordered an SR Y in April 2021 and had to pay $1500 to move it from Chicago to DC. At least they had it to me within a week.

Luckily in my case, I was able to eventually schedule delivery at my local Seattle Tesla center and they transported from Arizona to Washington for $2000 transportation charge. It required me talking to local SA and then they calling over to Arizona where the car was there, and me filling some state forms to verify certain things. At the end, it worked out for me and got lucky. Anyway, this was back in mid July when the current rules of restricting pick up to neighboring states was not there. I'm not sure if it would have worked for me under current rules.

Yes, $2000. Which was eventually refunded. We offered to pay to ship it private to get it sooner but to do that, we would have had to accept delivery in PA and they wouldn’t let us do that.
I am in CA and also saw a few nice demo MX out of state in WA but it says car delivery will be only in WA and can only be registered in ID, MO, OR, AK. Similarly one iin TX says can only be registered in TX. Can't hold of any SA to discuss.
Has anyone saw registration restriction and worked through this situation?

I am in CA and also saw a few nice demo MX out of state in WA but it says car delivery will be only in WA and can only be registered in ID, MO, OR, AK. Similarly one iin TX says can only be registered in TX. Can't hold of any SA to discuss.
Has anyone saw registration restriction and worked through this situation?
I think they have realized the issue with transporting against the grain so to speak and aren't allowing it. Also, in states where they have to register out of state to get around laws (like Texas) they can't do anything else. As far as Demo vehicles, they are techincally registered to Tesla in whicever state so there may be limitations where it can still registered as a new vehicle. Shipping it out of the region may require it to be sold as used.

It's probably the case for demo cars but they are no longer allowing to buy new cars out of state even by going in person! Not sure how it is helping with their sales and stock price! We are limited to the inventory in own state.