TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Delivery Events

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by JoshG, Nov 26, 2012.

1. JoshG

JoshG Member

One more thing... the wording implies they're now shifting to delivery "EVENTS" rather than one-by-one sessions. You can still request home delivery, but if you pick factory delivery, it looks like they're grouping us into larger timed sessions, including the tour. I've been told to pick Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday of this week, and then pick 9am, 1pm, or 4pm for my "event". While a bit disappointed in this slightly less personal experience, I'm actually thrilled that they're rolling out a more scalable delivery process. There's obviously no way they could shift to 5x the rate of deliveries unless they do this type of grouping. Things are getting "real" at Tesla... less "project" feel about it, more "corporation" feel. In a good way.

2. JoshG

JoshG Member

I was going to paste the 2nd email in a post here, but I noticed the footnote of the email states it's confidential. So I'm not going to copy over any of the content, but tell you in my own words what I have learned, which will give you the general tone and info that I received.

Paraphrasing in my own words... Tesla has been working extremely hard to get as many cars as possible to customers before the end of this year. The process created a wave of vehicles becoming available in the local area here in Northern California. To make the process more efficient, Tesla will be holding special delivery events at the Fremont factory this week on Wednesday through Friday. If the owners receiving this email would like factory delivery, they can choose an appointment this week Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, at 9am, 1pm, or 4pm but there is some flexibility if none of those times work. If we choose factory delivery, we'll get our cars sooner, and will get a very cool tour of the factory. If we can't get to one of these events, we can schedule delivery at another location but that will have to be delayed a week or more since all resources are focusing on these big events first, and secondary will be the local home/office deliveries.

I hope that conveys the info received... haven't used any of the content of the email.

3. blakegallagher

I know Tesla is having some sort of event in NYC on December 6th. Does anyone in the area have any delivery event scheduled then? My good friend works for a bar-tending company that does events and the company listed is Tesla. He called me because he knows how much I love Tesla.

4. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

The idea of incentivizing people to take delivery at a Tesla location is very smart. I spoke to my DS last night about this because I picked my car up at the store, which ended up saving him at least an hour or two of loading and unloading the car from the trailer, not to mention drive time to my house (10 minutes for me, but could be a lot more for others). Encouraging people to take delivery at a Tesla location where feasible, while still offering the delivery anywhere, should allow Tesla to free up their DS's time and get more cars delivered quicker.

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I created this thread as it looks like this may be a way that Tesla intends to handle the sheer mass of cars coming out. Please share dates, stories, thoughts etc.

6. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I would happily take delivery in NYC, provided a simultaneous announcement yielded enough Superchargers to get me home to Pittsburgh!

And it might seem out of place for Tesla to hire bartenders for a car delivery event in NYC. Perhaps an entirely different reason for that event?

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

It may not even be a Tesla event - I was in Menlo Park one time as they were prepping for a big charity event that evening. Caterers, bartenders, etc. showing up. But the event was for a local charity. Tesla had just loaned out the space.

And it may be a Tesla event. Call the store and ask what's going on.

8. iridium

iridium Member

JoshG, where was this originally posted? I can't find the original post you quoted.

9. Shorty

Shorty Member

If you go to an event does Tesla rebate the $900 for personal delivery?

10. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Nope. As is common practice with car makers, the delivery cost is averaged over all customers, and is the same whether your car is shipped to Alaska or picked up in Fremont.

11. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

I got the info from Discoducky's post here:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/10686-Model-S-Delivery-Dates-and-Sequencing/page19

Again, a very smart move because for each car that they don't have to take separately to someone's house or work or wherever, it's anywhere from one to four (or more) hours saved, including travel time for the car and DS. If there is a backlog of cars ready to be delivered, this helps clear the backlog without reneging on the promise of delivery anywhere if someone still wants that. Most people, I assume just want their car as quickly as possible and are happy to go pick it up. The only downside is getting Homelink set up, but the instructions for that are pretty clear and should be easy enough to follow.

12. Shorty

Shorty Member

True but other manufacturers don't use the term "personal delivery" on their MVPAs!

13. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

A little forum tip: If the quote shows this little double arrow viewpost-right.png then clicking on it will bring you to the source post.

14. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Personal delivery is still an option, but for those interested/willing to pick them up at a Tesla facility, it makes a great deal of sense to have group sessions. Given silly MA dealer laws, it's probably illegal for me to take delivery of my car at the Boston service center; otherwise, I'd be happy to save DS time.

15. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

you need to get out of MA for delivery. Nashua, New Hamshire is so nice this time of year... to pick up a new car... only a half hour away.

16. JoshG

JoshG Member

It was here.

But here's a tip: whenever you see a quote on this forum, there's a little blue symbol shows next to the phrase "Originally posted by {x}". Click that little symbol and you'll always return to the post that someone was quoting.

{sorry, just noticed Doug posted the same info before I did!}

17. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Isn't their a delivery party in Hawthorne today? Or is it Friday maybe? Anyone going?

18. AltPowr

AltPowr Member

Well, we were hearing about these "Fremont Events" at the factory, and it seems like several people were queued up to pickup at the same time. Did that happen? Was it a party or something different from the regular one car at a time pickup? Was there a group event? The rest of us want to know - or at least I'm interested to find out what I may be invited to any day now.

19. JoshG

JoshG Member

Posted elsewhere: My Delivery Event today at Fremont factory for VIN 01299
    It was pretty much the same as the single-owner events. they grouped two of us into one group for the tour, then individual delivery-bay walkthroughs and paperwork finalization. no big deal. nothing special to make it an "event"...

20. AltPowr

AltPowr Member

Cool, thanks for clarifying.