Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Events

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoshG

Jun 23, 2011
Folks I believe this is the single most important email today on the forum. It means that production is more than five hundred cars ahead - by sequence number, not actual cars - than we were just 48 hours ago. Timdorr chime in. I think we can expect an onslaught of deliveries. A HUGE Tesla moment. The gates have broken open and Elon has fish and bread for all The Apostles. I was told pretty relaible source that there are almost exactly 400 (uncancelled) R's. they may have already finished most by the end of the week. Oh baby. Plug me in I wanna drive.

Dunno much, but this is a really fun time to be a reservation holder. Kick back, watch the new Megamachines Tesla production video, maybe a few more Ben Goodwin productions so we can actually drive the car when we get it, and wait for our email to come.

Think I'll go pop some corn and check my email again.
One more thing... the wording implies they're now shifting to delivery "EVENTS" rather than one-by-one sessions. You can still request home delivery, but if you pick factory delivery, it looks like they're grouping us into larger timed sessions, including the tour. I've been told to pick Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday of this week, and then pick 9am, 1pm, or 4pm for my "event". While a bit disappointed in this slightly less personal experience, I'm actually thrilled that they're rolling out a more scalable delivery process. There's obviously no way they could shift to 5x the rate of deliveries unless they do this type of grouping. Things are getting "real" at Tesla... less "project" feel about it, more "corporation" feel. In a good way.

I was going to paste the 2nd email in a post here, but I noticed the footnote of the email states it's confidential. So I'm not going to copy over any of the content, but tell you in my own words what I have learned, which will give you the general tone and info that I received.

Paraphrasing in my own words... Tesla has been working extremely hard to get as many cars as possible to customers before the end of this year. The process created a wave of vehicles becoming available in the local area here in Northern California. To make the process more efficient, Tesla will be holding special delivery events at the Fremont factory this week on Wednesday through Friday. If the owners receiving this email would like factory delivery, they can choose an appointment this week Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, at 9am, 1pm, or 4pm but there is some flexibility if none of those times work. If we choose factory delivery, we'll get our cars sooner, and will get a very cool tour of the factory. If we can't get to one of these events, we can schedule delivery at another location but that will have to be delayed a week or more since all resources are focusing on these big events first, and secondary will be the local home/office deliveries.

I hope that conveys the info received... haven't used any of the content of the email.

I know Tesla is having some sort of event in NYC on December 6th. Does anyone in the area have any delivery event scheduled then? My good friend works for a bar-tending company that does events and the company listed is Tesla. He called me because he knows how much I love Tesla.

The idea of incentivizing people to take delivery at a Tesla location is very smart. I spoke to my DS last night about this because I picked my car up at the store, which ended up saving him at least an hour or two of loading and unloading the car from the trailer, not to mention drive time to my house (10 minutes for me, but could be a lot more for others). Encouraging people to take delivery at a Tesla location where feasible, while still offering the delivery anywhere, should allow Tesla to free up their DS's time and get more cars delivered quicker.

I would happily take delivery in NYC, provided a simultaneous announcement yielded enough Superchargers to get me home to Pittsburgh!

And it might seem out of place for Tesla to hire bartenders for a car delivery event in NYC. Perhaps an entirely different reason for that event?

It may not even be a Tesla event - I was in Menlo Park one time as they were prepping for a big charity event that evening. Caterers, bartenders, etc. showing up. But the event was for a local charity. Tesla had just loaned out the space.

And it may be a Tesla event. Call the store and ask what's going on.

I got the info from Discoducky's post here:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/10686-Model-S-Delivery-Dates-and-Sequencing/page19

Again, a very smart move because for each car that they don't have to take separately to someone's house or work or wherever, it's anywhere from one to four (or more) hours saved, including travel time for the car and DS. If there is a backlog of cars ready to be delivered, this helps clear the backlog without reneging on the promise of delivery anywhere if someone still wants that. Most people, I assume just want their car as quickly as possible and are happy to go pick it up. The only downside is getting Homelink set up, but the instructions for that are pretty clear and should be easy enough to follow.

JoshG, where was this originally posted? I can't find the original post you quoted.
A little forum tip: If the quote shows this little double arrow
viewpost-right.png
then clicking on it will bring you to the source post.

True but other manufacturers don't use the term "personal delivery" on their MVPAs!
Personal delivery is still an option, but for those interested/willing to pick them up at a Tesla facility, it makes a great deal of sense to have group sessions. Given silly MA dealer laws, it's probably illegal for me to take delivery of my car at the Boston service center; otherwise, I'd be happy to save DS time.

JoshG, where was this originally posted? I can't find the original post you quoted.
It was here.

But here's a tip: whenever you see a quote on this forum, there's a little blue symbol shows next to the phrase "Originally posted by {x}". Click that little symbol and you'll always return to the post that someone was quoting.

{sorry, just noticed Doug posted the same info before I did!}

Well, we were hearing about these "Fremont Events" at the factory, and it seems like several people were queued up to pickup at the same time. Did that happen? Was it a party or something different from the regular one car at a time pickup? Was there a group event? The rest of us want to know - or at least I'm interested to find out what I may be invited to any day now.

Well, we were hearing about these "Fremont Events" at the factory, and it seems like several people were queued up to pickup at the same time. Did that happen? Was it a party or something different from the regular one car at a time pickup? Was there a group event? The rest of us want to know - or at least I'm interested to find out what I may be invited to any day now.
Posted elsewhere: My Delivery Event today at Fremont factory for VIN 01299
It was pretty much the same as the single-owner events. they grouped two of us into one group for the tour, then individual delivery-bay walkthroughs and paperwork finalization. no big deal. nothing special to make it an "event"...