Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery experience at Richmond, VA center

How was your delivery experience at Richmond, VA center

• Awesome! No issues with the car or delivery dates

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • On time delivery but the car had minor isssues

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No issues with the car but the delivery was delayed (< 1 week)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No issues with the car but the delivery was delayed (> 1 week & < 1 month)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No issues with the car but the delivery was delayed (> 1 month)

• Minor issues with the car and the delivery was delayed (< 1 week)

• Minor issues with the car and the delivery was delayed (> 1 week & < 1 month)

• Minor issues with the car and the delivery was delayed (> 1 month)

• I rejected the car!

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be sure to add my thoughts if my order actually arrives next Wednesday. My ISA keeps telling me the 19th, but I went in early last week and their screen is displaying 20/21. They have always been friendly in the store, so I'm hoping for a good experience, however, this is the second time it has been delayed (originally 8/29 and already paying interest on the loan).

Reactions: rexian
Wondering what to expect. Please add details in comments.

The questionnaire and the title of this thread doesn't match. The delivery center has very little to do with the quality of the car. If they get a car that gets scratched in transit, or may has some missed issues at the factory, they just have to punt and get it fixed. That's all locations.

Generally, what happens is a few days before delivery, probably after the car has arrived at the delivery center, you will get a email or a call to schedule a delivery window. Soon after this, your account should be enable for payment, at which time you are allowed to complete payment.
On delivery day, at your delivery time, you'll arrive, maybe have to wait a little. This depends on the center and the day of the week, some days they are delivering more cars than other. You'll check in the delivery advisor will come out, finish the paperwork and get you and your car may get staged in the room, or may brought up in the parking lot. You need to make sure that you watch the videos on the Tesla.com site and then the delivery advisor may carry you through some demonstration, again often dependent on how busy it is.
At that point, your phones are paired, keys are given, photos may be take and the entire world changes, because you now own the Model 3 as you drive off the lot with that really big grin.

Most deliveries go through with no issues.

Thanks for the details. From various posts it sounded like some delivery centers experience more issues (frequent damaged cars / not arriving at all) than others. I already have the time / date confirmed though based on many shared experiences here, I'd not be surprised if I get a call in next 10 days with a new date.

The questionnaire and the title of this thread doesn't match. The delivery center has very little to do with the quality of the car. If they get a car that gets scratched in transit, or may has some missed issues at the factory, they just have to punt and get it fixed. That's all locations.

Generally, what happens is a few days before delivery, probably after the car has arrived at the delivery center, you will get a email or a call to schedule a delivery window. Soon after this, your account should be enable for payment, at which time you are allowed to complete payment.
On delivery day, at your delivery time, you'll arrive, maybe have to wait a little. This depends on the center and the day of the week, some days they are delivering more cars than other. You'll check in the delivery advisor will come out, finish the paperwork and get you and your car may get staged in the room, or may brought up in the parking lot. You need to make sure that you watch the videos on the Tesla.com site and then the delivery advisor may carry you through some demonstration, again often dependent on how busy it is.
At that point, your phones are paired, keys are given, photos may be take and the entire world changes, because you now own the Model 3 as you drive off the lot with that really big grin.

Most deliveries go through with no issues.

I’d be surprised if “most” go through with no issues. Of the group of 4 mine was delivered in, mine had to have numerous scratches buffed out and another guy had to reject his because his entire front fender was indented like half an inch (installed incorrectly at the factory). I don’t know about the other two cars.

Just wanted to follow up as I did receive my car today and it is truly awesome!
Reserved 04/16 (Midnight Silver, Aeros, RWD, and AP)
Ordered 07/31
Scheduled for 8/27, but delayed due to logistic issues
Arrived on 9/17 for prep and delivered 9/19

I feel really bad for this location as Richmond recently saw a few tornados spawned from Hurricane Florence. The phone lines and internet have been down since Monday. Apparently, they tried to protect a ton of cars by bringing them into the service center and showroom ahead of the storm. As far as delivery goes, it was really smooth. The delivery agent called me yesterday to confirm all of my paperwork and once I arrived this morning, I just needed to sign for my registration, tags, and a delivery sheet. They had another member of their team show me the car and answer any questions. Unlike some of the threads I saw with indoor areas to view the car, mine was brought up outside, which gave me all the light I wanted to check out the car. Other than a panel that just needed to be pushed in further, there were no issues and the car looks and drives beautifully. There were about 12 miles on the car and it took about 50 miles to gain autopilot on I-64.

Hopefully, this experience can put others who are waiting at ease. I've read about so many issues over the last few months and I'm thankful that the actual delivery experience was great.

Just wanted to follow up as I did receive my car today and it is truly awesome!
Reserved 04/16 (Midnight Silver, Aeros, RWD, and AP)
Ordered 07/31
Scheduled for 8/27, but delayed due to logistic issues
Arrived on 9/17 for prep and delivered 9/19

I feel really bad for this location as Richmond recently saw a few tornados spawned from Hurricane Florence. The phone lines and internet have been down since Monday. Apparently, they tried to protect a ton of cars by bringing them into the service center and showroom ahead of the storm. As far as delivery goes, it was really smooth. The delivery agent called me yesterday to confirm all of my paperwork and once I arrived this morning, I just needed to sign for my registration, tags, and a delivery sheet. They had another member of their team show me the car and answer any questions. Unlike some of the threads I saw with indoor areas to view the car, mine was brought up outside, which gave me all the light I wanted to check out the car. Other than a panel that just needed to be pushed in further, there were no issues and the car looks and drives beautifully. There were about 12 miles on the car and it took about 50 miles to gain autopilot on I-64.

Hopefully, this experience can put others who are waiting at ease. I've read about so many issues over the last few months and I'm thankful that the actual delivery experience was great.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Minor issues like what you noticed are expected from relatively new companies like Tesla. What range was your VIN?

Also, were you able to track at United Road with the last 8 characters of the VIN? I am not able to. Wonder if they used a different carrier for me (or the car is yet to ship :eek:)

Thank you for sharing your experience. Minor issues like what you noticed are expected from relatively new companies like Tesla. What range was your VIN?

Also, were you able to track at United Road with the last 8 characters of the VIN? I am not able to. Wonder if they used a different carrier for me (or the car is yet to ship :eek:)

My VIN was in the 47- 48K range. United Road only tracked the car until it left California. When I was leaving today I saw two semis full of cars being unloaded. A lot of the ones on the lot had white interiors, which sounds like a good sign for later VINs.

• Informative
Reactions: rexian
When was
My VIN was in the 47- 48K range. United Road only tracked the car until it left California. When I was leaving today I saw two semis full of cars being unloaded. A lot of the ones on the lot had white interiors, which sounds like a good sign for later VINs.

Great! Couple more questions if you don't mind -

When was your car built per the sticker? And when did the tracking start in UR website?

I have a delivery scheduled for next week (pretty much the same specs as yours - details in the top post attachment). Wonder if the tax part was similar (should be identical) for you.

An update - finally received my MVPA today, was supposed to receive yesterday. The IDA also asked if I could pick up the vehicle early as it's ready but I don't know if PFCU would be ready (they are 3 hours behind) on time for Monday delivery (Tuesday seems possible). Except for the MVPA, everything else has been on time so hopefully no other surprises ...

Just received the Monroney sticker - build date Aug 2018. She also mentioned the car was on transit. Can’t see in UR though...

Based on the above shared experiences and a very responsive IDA, I am hoping for a smooth delivery :)
Looks like I spoke too soon. Haven't heard from my IDA in last 2 days and after multiple emails with questions. PFCU already dispatched the cashier's check - they have been such an efficient loan processor. I sent the signed MVPA yesterday and today within 15 minutes of opening (they are 3 hours behind), I received the paperwork and an hour later I received a UPS tracking number.

Apparently Tesla is letting some people drive their cars off and pay later, so I suppose if that's acceptable to your IDA then you could pick up on Monday!y
Today I visited the delivery center with a check book and the tracking number of PFCU check to see if they would be able to deliver since the IDA said the car was ready and I might be able to pick up early. She's been MIA for last couple of days (vacation maybe?). There they said not only the tracking number wouldn't do, they would need a cashier's check for my portion as well o_O

I have an all day meeting tomorrow so unlikely I'll be able to get a cachier's check... hopefully the IDA will reply tomorrow and can waive this requirement...

My delivery went pretty smooth today. I was initially planning to thoroughly inspect the car but later decided against it and just did a casual one. There was a minor alignment issue with the rear door that my wife noticed and but that was it. They didn’t want to note it down and said I had 3 days to report this and any other issues.

BTW, while driving home I did notice that the indicators stayed on for long and in some cases, permanently on until I turned it the other way, even though I did a soft push. Both my BMW and Nissan were similar so will get it checked once. I drove for an hour around town and other than this (and the autopilot, which I probably need to get used to), everything else seemed great.

Based on the experience many others have gone through, I’d consider mine pretty eventless so rated AWESOME in the above survey :)

Reactions: Leicina
Just did my pick up today and it was easy and smooth.

I had to do a rental car to get there and they had a driver follow me...until I got mixed up even with GPS at which point he took the lead and I followed HIM to the car rental place.

Had over 2.5 hrs to drive home and as far as I can see so far the car is perfect. It's in back and charging now. VERY happy with the service center---once they took over as my point of contact it was super. They even made a point to show me the left turn signal was functioning (I'd asked them to double check it after reading about issues online and they'd clearly kept notes and were sensitive to the fact I'd driven a long way). I found a couple water spots. And a tiny bit of sticky residue on the steering wheel--all stuff easily wiped off :).

If anyone has a Richmond, VA delivery, don't stress about that part! Shoot, they even took a personal check for my down payment part, no ACH necessary.

A late edit not allowed. I added my response to the poll above. No issues with the car. My delivery date did get pushed back 1 day because the transport was delayed in Maryland by a day. Again, they were very sensitive to my long drive, and made sure I knew as soon as they could that they would need one more day. In fact they called me about an hour before I planned to call them the day before. Not their fault it was late and they made sure I wouldn't make an unnecessary drive. Also, they had the car charged to 90% for the trip home.

In case you can't tell, I was VERY happy with the customer service at the Richmond, VA site.