Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Experience Expectations - Owings Mills, MD

Can we expect good experience and one-on-one sit-down time at pick-up?

• Yes, the folks at Owings Mills have been great at pick-up time

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Maybe. It may depend on day of week and time of day.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Good luck. Have never heard of that experience there.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, we are scheduled to take delivery of our Model S soon at Owings Mills. We were delayed a bit due to damage of the car needing repairs. That said, how has the experience been for people picking up cars at this location? I've heard horror (ish) stories about long waits and poor customer service at various facilities across the country (CA seeming to be worst). We had good customer service when we purchased at Owings Mills, and in subsequent conversations as needed.

My wife is expecting to have some one-on-one time with someone to have them walk her through the car. Is that a reasonable expectation? I would hope so considering how much we spent on this thing. I know that doesn't have much impact here since everyone on here who owns a Tesla is in similar boat of having spent a lot. But I don't think having the expectation of a little time with people is unwarranted.

Anyway, would like to know what to expect so my wife won't be freaking out when we are there. We were trying to pick up during the week, but with the delay we'll pick up whenever we possibly can... once they let us know all is fixed.

Thanks,
Chris

I was one of the Mid-Atlantic Tesla Club members who volunteered at Owings Mills yesterday to help expedite end of quarter deliveries. I also picked up my car from those folks. They have a great team in place and are one of the best service centers around. If you are picking up on a normal type business day, I think you will be more than happy with the treatment you get there. End of quarter type days should probably not be your first choice anywhere.

Congratulations on your new car and I know after driving a Tesla your biggest problem will be jaw fatigue from smiling so much.

We were dealing with delivery department. They finally called back. We can pick up the car, but they don't have enough time to walk us through it. At this point, we just want the car. WellWe'l back for a better walkthrough.

Chris
If you need help with a walk through, I can hook you up with members of the Mid-Atlantic club in your area who would be glad to help you. For that matter, if you want, I'd be happy to get on the phone and go through the car with you if you like. Just let me know.

If you need help with a walk through, I can hook you up with members of the Mid-Atlantic club in your area who would be glad to help you. For that matter, if you want, I'd be happy to get on the phone and go through the car with you if you like. Just let me know.

Located in AA County if you would like a walk-through.
Thank you, both. That's very nice of you. I don't think we need a walk-through at this point. We got the car, but not after even more drama at the dealership. They changed the rate on our financing and were like "it's a new quarter, sorry." Needless to say, that didn't go over well. They eventually fixed that little issue, but wanted us to come back the next day (that didn't happen). The walk-through was still rough and the guy really didn't know a whole lot. He went through the menus and pressed the information icon on the ones that had it and then read what it said. It was almost funny. We took delivery of the car two days ago and it is still not accessible via the tesla app. I've had better experiences as other car dealerships for sure, and I'm talking Ford or Toyota. This was a true disappointment.

That said, we love the car. We took it on a road trip. The superchargers are perfect for making a trip not bad at all... as is autopilot. So far, no complaints on the car.

I hate having to call a dealership because they can't hook my car to my account properly.

Thanks,
Chris

Reactions: untilcomplete
Hey Chris - Sorry to hear about your delivery experience. After more than five years of ownership, I can tell you that Tesla will take care of you guys. Following up on Jon's offer of support, check out the Mid Atlantic Owners Club (TeslaMidAtlantic.club) for opportunities to meet other owners in your area.
We took delivery of the car two days ago and it is still not accessible via the tesla app.
Make sure that Mobile Access is enabled, tap the gear icon in Safety & Security.

Hey Chris - Sorry to hear about your delivery experience. After more than five years of ownership, I can tell you that Tesla will take care of you guys. Following up on Jon's offer of support, check out the Mid Atlantic Owners Club (TeslaMidAtlantic.club) for opportunities to meet other owners in your area.
I will check them out. Thanks.

Make sure that Mobile Access is enabled, tap the gear icon in Safety & Security.
It was. It's funny, because they guy on the walk-through said that was just for sharing data with Tesla. I didn't argue and turned it on right after he was out of the car. I mean, it's in the manual :)

We're really not too picky. This thread may make it seem like we are, but we like feeling like when we spend money we're getting what we paid for. I wasn't just paying for the car when we purchased, I was paying for a luxury car with what I expected to be better-than-average service. At this point, I would have settled for average service.

I called customer service. The wait was either 50 or 15 minutes. Neither is how long I had to wait. It will all work out, it's just stuff keeps mounting from a customer service perspective. Other than that, we're still in love with the car and hoping things will improve on the service front.

Thanks for the helpful posts, folks.

Chris

So, car still not visible on mobile app and account still saying we owe money. Called yesterday and left a message. No call back. Called today and got someone. Said should be fixed within 24 hours. That's their standard answer it seems. Keeps people from bugging them for 24 hours I guess. Really disappointed with Tesla customer service at this point. Maybe I'll post in general forum and see if Tesla monitors it and will actually do something about it. A week's worth of frustration and trying hasn't helped...

Chris

So, car still not visible on mobile app and account still saying we owe money. Called yesterday and left a message. No call back. Called today and got someone. Said should be fixed within 24 hours. That's their standard answer it seems. Keeps people from bugging them for 24 hours I guess. Really disappointed with Tesla customer service at this point. Maybe I'll post in general forum and see if Tesla monitors it and will actually do something about it. A week's worth of frustration and trying hasn't helped...

Chris

Did you call the 800 number or Owings Mills? My app loaded instantly during delivery. My account also reflected I was an owner almost immediately.

Did you call the 800 number or Owings Mills? My app loaded instantly during delivery. My account also reflected I was an owner almost immediately.
I called Owings Mills. Basically, my belief is that they have no clue and are lying to me to get me off the phone. Nothing anyone had said has actually seemed true. I'm out of town or I'd go there and wait in the showroom letting everyone know if my utter and complete disappointment until it was resolved.

Paying this much money and getting this level of service is almost a crime.

Chris

I called Owings Mills. Basically, my belief is that they have no clue and are lying to me to get me off the phone. Nothing anyone had said has actually seemed true. I'm out of town or I'd go there and wait in the showroom letting everyone know if my utter and complete disappointment until it was resolved.

Paying this much money and getting this level of service is almost a crime.

Chris

Reading online it seems that some people don't get access to their app for up to a week or two. Local Service Center can't add your car to your account, seems like a Fremont HQ issue. Call the 800 number. Only issue I had with Owings Mills with having my car at the body shop (Owings Mills Collision) for longer than they said. Other than that, I took my car there on Monday and they took care of the remainder of my issues while I waited. Also had frunk/trunk mats in stock!

Reading online it seems that some people don't get access to their app for up to a week or two. Local Service Center can't add your car to your account, seems like a Fremont HQ issue. Call the 800 number. Only issue I had with Owings Mills with having my car at the body shop (Owings Mills Collision) for longer than they said. Other than that, I took my car there on Monday and they took care of the remainder of my issues while I waited. Also had frunk/trunk mats in stock!
Good, I am truly glad that this may be some weird anomaly. I do so want to have a service center and facility with staff that I can count on as an owner. As for calling the 800#, the owings mills staff should say they can't help me and put me in touch with someone that can. It's not just about the mobile app. Indicating that we haven't paid the amount for the car is a little disconcerting. Imagine signing all of the papers to purchase a home and then the bank/sellers/anyone says that you still owe $x. Would you feel comfortable? I know that I'd consider it a mistake at first, but then after phone calls and trying to work with people it still doesn't get fixed, you start to wonder if you just got scammed. So far, that's the way it feels dealing with Owings Mills staff. It was wonderful at first. Our owner advocate was great. Was what we had come to expect. Then after we were "committed," communications stopped. I don't think that was so bad. What can they say, "Yep, your car is being built." :) But questions went unanswered unless a second email was sent. While our car was damaged upon arrival to the dealership, that wasn't their fault. How they handled it at first was a bit weak ("We don't know how long it will take. More like weeks than days."). But they got everything fixed within 10 days which I thought very well done, especially considering the horror stories on service issues. After that, it took a steep dive from inconvenient to downright incompetent and, so far, useless and has continued that way for the past eight days.

I certainly hope it improves to what you have experienced. I certainly want that. No harm, no foul. I don't hold grudges. I just want decent service. I've definitely had it from others.

Chris

We're really not too picky.... I wasn't just paying for the car when we purchased, I was paying for a luxury car with what I expected to be better-than-average service.

Chris

I think this bothers a lot of people: Since they are paying more than usual, they interpret that as being luxury. I don't think so. People pay a lot for a Tesla because it is new technology, which means it is not just another rerun of something a hundred years old. It's not "luxury", as many will agree, who compare it with even Toyota or Nissan. There is no soft suede seating or burled cherry wood. Instead you get NO DIALS or knobs or switches on an empty dash. Just a 15 inch screen.

You're not paying for a Rolls Royce, or Rolls Royce Service, and I've heard stories of that. You get ordinary service on an extra-ordinary car that has amazing technology.

...And with an expected inundation of Model 3s in the near future, it just might get worse. Luckily, there is barely if any service required. And that's better than Rolls Royce Service.

I think this bothers a lot of people: Since they are paying more than usual, they interpret that as being luxury. I don't think so. People pay a lot for a Tesla because it is new technology, which means it is not just another rerun of something a hundred years old. It's not "luxury", as many will agree, who compare it with even Toyota or Nissan. There is no soft suede seating or burled cherry wood. Instead you get NO DIALS or knobs or switches on an empty dash. Just a 15 inch screen.

You're not paying for a Rolls Royce, or Rolls Royce Service, and I've heard stories of that. You get ordinary service on an extra-ordinary car that has amazing technology.

...And with an expected inundation of Model 3s in the near future, it just might get worse. Luckily, there is barely if any service required. And that's better than Rolls Royce Service.
I'd settle for other-than-poor service at this point. I'd be okay with ordinary service. I'd disagree that just because it doesn't have the Rolls Royce interior doesn't mean it's not luxury. Luxury is about many things to me, but maybe I should rethink it as extraordinary instead of luxury.

Slight improvement... I talked with Dwayne at Owings Mills and he was nice, helpful, and seemed to actually accomplish something. Not everything is done just yet, but our car shows as paid now. Fingers crossed that the rest will get accomplished today. He thinks it was a bit of a mix up as our car somehow got marked as being delivered to our house and not picked up (we picked it up). And that, apparently, gums up several things.

We'll see, but there is progress :)