Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery experience has so far been sub-par

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I ordered through the Indianapolis store and live in Indy so would love to take delivery here. So far they are telling me I have to go to Cincy to pick it up. Mine has been "in transit" for 2 days now, but I have had no communication at all from DS. I have just kept checking the website on my own.

I would love to go to Cincy and pick mine up. Are you financing or leasing through Tesla? That seems to be the difference, I'm doing outside financing with PenFed.

i am financing through Alliant Credit Union. My DS recommended them.

Weird... Here's what I was told by DS:

For customers in Indiana whom are not financing through Tesla it is easier from a paperwork standpoint to ship the vehicle directly to your home. If all payment is processed by the time the vehicle shows up at our service center it shouldn’t add any additional time to delivery as we can coordinate transportation as soon as the car is ready. If payment is made once the vehicle arrives in Cincinnati, it can take 3-7 days to arrange transportation with our preferred carriers.

I just spoke with the DS this morning. He says it is a bit easier on the paperwork side to deliver to my home in Indy, but it could take 1-2 days extra to arrange the transport. A sales associate from the Indy store is willing to come out and give me a walk-through.
I think I will go that route rather than drive to Cincy.
I expext delivery 6/22-6/26.

Some documents are emailed and you use DocuSign IIRC.

I refused DocuSign on principle (it's totally insecure, any "docusigned" document could actually have been signed by any Russian hacker). I signed the papers at delivery. You can probably use the unsigned copies to get the loan though.

- - - Updated - - -

The communications failure is something that I wish someone would confront Elon with at the upcoming shareholder's meeting.
Yeah. *sigh* It's a total mess. Elon has not been paying any attention to the very severe internal communication problems which have been ongoing for over 2 years. I've found that there's often someone in the company who knows the answers to the questions I have, but the person I'm in contact with can't reach them and doesn't know who they are. This is just terrible.

To followup on this. My DS might be [very] poor at email communications, but when I called him with a more pressing question (and he didn't pick up), but he left me a voicemail within 10mins of the missed call and followed up the next day with a phone call to make sure he answered my questions.

My DS has not been overly responsive to emails, but when I have called him, he has been very helpful. Yesterday he told me the car would arrive in Cincy today. I finalized the loan paperwork and made final payment today. They will ship to my home in Indy on 6/23, one month after confirmation of order. I can't wait

Well after more than 3 weeks in transit, the car is scheduled for delivery today. Initially told at 3pm EST, but that's now the past and haven't heard anything from the transport company... Called DS at 3pm and was told that they ll still aim to deliver today. Let's hope they work late into the night...

I don't know why their transport trucks would be so busy... I don't really expect them to have to deliver that many cars... I took the dayoff to wait at home today... Instead I could have gone into work and still easily be ready to come back to get the car (if it does get delivered today)...

Tesla has a LOT of process improvement work that they need to do... really.

Well after more than 3 weeks in transit, the car is scheduled for delivery today. Initially told at 3pm EST, but that's now the past and haven't heard anything from the transport company... Called DS at 3pm and was told that they ll still aim to deliver today. Let's hope they work late into the night...

I don't know why their transport trucks would be so busy... I don't really expect them to have to deliver that many cars... I took the dayoff to wait at home today... Instead I could have gone into work and still easily be ready to come back to get the car (if it does get delivered today)...

Just think that it will soon be behind you and you will have four planted wheels on a pavement under you! Hope to see yours around town! :)

Sorry to hear that, the delivery process can be a bit rough. You'll probably find that like most people once you have the car you largely forget about any hiccups in the process but it would be nice for them to be a bit smoother overall.

How as the delivery itself? Just wondering what your thoughts were once the car actually arrived.

Thanks

Jeff

Oh, it's just some tow truck guy... got the car off the flat bed and gave me the keys. I think my DS has offered to provide a walkthrough some other day at the SC if I want it but I am not sure I really want to do it...

One unfortunate thing was that the tow truck passed through a road where there was a broken fire hydrant... due to that, there was a lot of red clay mud (there's a lot of red clay in this area) that got on the car... so it wasn't totally clean... wiped most of them off the car with a towel... but still.

Otherwise car is great, all good.