Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery experience, Houston, Westchase and plastic trim on exterior of MY alignment questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to pick up a MY in Houston at the Westheimer location (Blue exterior, White interior, 7 seater). Did not drive off the lot with the vehicle because there were too many issues. Hood and trunk misalignment, the front headlights were not equal (left headlight was sticking out, right headlight was slightly sunken in), parts of the black plastic trim on the exterior were scratched deeply, the black plastic trim that goes around the wheels were not aligned at each alignment point. For instance, where the wheel trim meets the front "bumper" trim; where the wheel trim meets the door trim; where the wheel trim meets the rear "bumper" trim. This trim misalignment is most noticeable in the front trim meeting the wheel trim because is a sharper edge jutting out. I walked the another MY nearby and that car's black exterior trim was flush all around except in the front bumper to wheel trim. It had the same sharp edge jutting out. Lastly, the 3rd row white seats had black stains that they couldn't remove. They said it was from the seatbelt rubbing, when the 3rd row was down.
Initially, they said to put in a service request and it would be taken care within a certain time frame but when I mentioned I didn't feel comfortable driving off the lot with that many issues, they said they would service it now and I could return in 2 days. They reported that the alignment issues would be addressed, the front headlights fixed (they said it was more the sunken light needed to come out then the protruding light pulled in), the 3rd row seats would have to wait until new ones could be ordered. The deeply scratched plastic trim around rear right wheel would be ordered.
All this is fine, what concerns me is the black plastic trim alignment. They said that because it's plastic and held in by clips, there was only so much they could do. The nearest MY was flush all around but in the front, also not flush at all. Is this similar with other MY's? It is all around the vehicle and especially in the front, easily visible. I wish I took pictures, but when they decided on servicing right away I didnt.

@youngsta how did it all turn out?

I almost walked away but glad I didn't.
I had to reschedule pick up 2/2 work, and the lady on the phone let me know that it would take weeks to pick up the car. There would not be an available advisor. So I said I would wait. She then said that Tesla wouldnt hold the car that long, that I had to pick up and could not reschedule, so I let her know if those were the only options, then I would reject. I got another call a few hours later and they said that I could certainly reschedule to a day later. Went to pick up the car and they almost fixed everything, alignment was great, they found a replacement trim on site that they initially said would need to be ordered. All the plastic wheel trim that would be difficult to align all came out great. When they aligned the top of the trunk, it caused misalignment at the bottom of trunk. This was the only issue, everything else was great. I have a service appointment scheduled to get the trunk re-aligned soon.
There is also a rattling noise coming from the front left of the car most noticeable on gravel or bumpy roads (brick pavement) when going around 15-25mph. It is much less noticeable when Im going faster even when I hit a bump. When they came to my house to install homelink, the guy said there was a missing piece on the drivers side that he thinks is the issue. Otherwise the car is awesome. I havent had this much fun driving since I was 16yo, and in my first beatup car that I paid for working fulltime a whole summer at Burger King.

Glad your car issues are getting sorted out. My back wheel trims were not attached properly either and service center corrected the issue. Regarding rattling from front left of car when on bumpy roads, check that the access panel in frunk is not loose on that side. This is the panel just after the drunk cargo area. Mine was not correctly fastened after a service visit and created rattling noises when going over bumps. Good item to check just in case.
Trunk alignments are harder to perform. My car needed one and service center had to send car to body shop since they lacked the equipment & space to handle the trunk. I had alignments performed on three other doors. It all came out great.

Reactions: youngsta
Glad your car issues are getting sorted out. My back wheel trims were not attached properly either and service center corrected the issue. Regarding rattling from front left of car when on bumpy roads, check that the access panel in frunk is not loose on that side. This is the panel just after the drunk cargo area. Mine was not correctly fastened after a service visit and created rattling noises when going over bumps. Good item to check just in case.
Trunk alignments are harder to perform. My car needed one and service center had to send car to body shop since they lacked the equipment & space to handle the trunk. I had alignments performed on three other doors. It all came out great.

Thanks for the info, will check that panel for rattle. Fingers crossed they can get my trunk better aligned without sending it out. These minor issues are annoying but the car/technology that you get with the MY makes it easily worth the hassle.