Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Experience with Tesla has been Terrible! (Raleigh, NC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure what others are experiencing, but my experience with getting pre-delivery information has been terrible. I've got a delivery in Raleigh, NC scheduled for this Sunday (9/20). When I placed my order, I got a call from a SA and even got a nice overnight test drive. That got me all excited. Finally after all these years I was finally getting a Tesla. I got one update saying the car was still in California being loaded on a Train, bound for the Alabama distribution center.

THEN SILIENCE!

I was okay with it. But now, I'm a few days out and I'd like to get confirmation that the car is indeed onsite in Raleigh or at least on its way. I've called the Raleigh office three times, each time no one answered and I had to leave a message. I've tried texting the numbers from Tesla that was used to contact me early in the process, no response. Today I tied using the Tesla.com CHAT feature and all they would do is give me the phone number of the Raleigh office. They suggested I use the Tesla APP, but the APP is useless until you accept your vehicle. They should know that!

I know once I get my vehicle I'll be happy, but why does it have to be so difficult? For a $60K+ vehicle they ought to be rolling out the red carpet!

I understand Tesla isn't your typical automotive manufacturer. Thy are more of a technology company. But come on, technology companies have this delivery process figured out! Why can't Tesla?

If I wasn't so excited about getting my MY AND there was a real competitor available I might change my mind and go elsewhere!

So, I'm just going to show up on Sunday. If my vehicle hasn't arrived, I'll just have to raise holy hell with whichever staff member I can find......and I hate confrontations!

I am just so frustrated.

I placed a MY order on 08/30 after test driving at the Raleigh location. I haven't received any updates (texts, account updates, no MVPA) since it was placed. As far as I can tell, the phone number listed for them on Google is just a general Tesla automated call center; I've never been able to reach someone through it. The best luck I've had is going there and talking to them in person (which I was able to do this weekend since a friend was picking up his MY.) They've been very helpful in person. No luck reaching them remote.

I think this location recently opened (June/July?). They may have some opening pains to work out. I also don't think the employees are given company phones since both of the SAs I worked with gave me their personal cell phone numbers.

Good luck! My friend's red MY looked great with a few minor observations. There was another red MY on the lot that looked absolutely perfect from the outside. Hope the delivery works out for you.

I'm hoping to pick up a Red Model Y.

I placed a MY order on 08/30 after test driving at the Raleigh location. I haven't received any updates (texts, account updates, no MVPA) since it was placed. As far as I can tell, the phone number listed for them on Google is just a general Tesla automated call center; I've never been able to reach someone through it. The best luck I've had is going there and talking to them in person (which I was able to do this weekend since a friend was picking up his MY.) They've been very helpful in person. No luck reaching them remote.

I think this location recently opened (June/July?). They may have some opening pains to work out. I also don't think the employees are given company phones since both of the SAs I worked with gave me their personal cell phone numbers.

Good luck! My friend's red MY looked great with a few minor observations. There was another red MY on the lot that looked absolutely perfect from the outside. Hope the delivery works out for you.

@mhcrowder Sorry you’re having to go thru this. Very similar to my delivery experience almost 2 years ago. As others have mentioned, delivery (and to some extent service) is the Achilles heel of Tesla right now. Once you get the car you will quickly forget about this BS and just focus on driving the best vehicle in the world. But I agree they need to get this nonsense worked out! When it comes to getting a live human being at a service center on the phone, Tesla rivals the dang cable companies. They really need to hire some senior managers who are focused on and passionate about customer service and satisfaction, and provide their employees with training on what to do and say (and what NOT to do and say). Best thing Tesla could do now is hire people away from Chikfila to revamp their customer service.

Again, deep breath, and focus on the fact that once you get thru the delivery shenanigans you will love this car!

In my experience you should always get the email of the person who arranged the test drive. If they remained employed at Tesla they will respond to reasonable queries. The voice mailbox at SC is pretty much worthless, especially towards the end of the quarter.

At this point in the quarter Tesla will be all over you if they think they can get a car delivered in Sept. If they don't have a car don't expect to hear much until next moth after the rush is over.

I know two people in Chicago who have had deliveries delayed a couple of days due to condition of the car. Maybe all our complaining has finally change policy to not force cars out the door that needs fit and finish adjustments. The worst cars that Tesla has attempted to deliver should be a personal embarrassment to Musk. My Y was not perfect, but still great.

Sorry to hear experiences are bad in Raleigh. From my house the Raleigh location is about 4 miles closer than Charlotte's so choosing was pretty much a coin toss. I decided to go with Charlotte only because I'm more familiar with Charlotte's traffic. The few times I needed to get in touch with someone In Charlotte I never had any problem If I called the main number I always got through to a real person, if I emaied my SA I always heard back with him within a couple of hours. It definitely sounds like Raleigh could use some work in that area.

On the plus side, I took delivery of my red MY this past Saturday and it was pretty damn close to perfect. I had read that the red paint had been problematic in the past but the paint on mine is stunning, good enough that I'm going to ceramic coat it with no additional paint correction as soon as this weather dries out.

Good luck with your delivery, hopefully you'll get one of the good ones as well.

Reactions: mhcrowder
was scheduled for delivery 9/24 at Raleigh. Decided to give them a call yesterday, got through and asked them to confirm it. after about a 10 min hold they pushed us back to 9/27.

When i bought my model 3 there last april, I walked in and said what do you have available today?

Purchased a model 3 right on the spot (with my phone) We did all the paperwork and they told me to come pick it up the next day. I guess its a lot different when they can't keep up with demand.

@mhcrowder - do you have an MVPA yet? We received our vin for pickup in raleigh, but still no MVPA

Last edited:
I picked up my MY (Pearl White/Black/Induction/NoFSD) from the Raleigh location a little more than a week ago. The only reason I knew who my SA (Gabriella) was, was by having test driven the car and she introduced herself to me then. Crickets after that until I got a text asking to schedule my delivery date. After doing so, my VIN showed up. From ordering to delivery date, it was about a month. I didn't hear anything up until the day before when I received a call saying the car was still in transit to Raleigh. They called and emailed the next 2 days as well to say it was delayed yet again. On the actual delivery date, my heart sinks after they inform me that my car was damaged in transit (whoever loaded or unloaded the car damaged the undercarriage and therefore the frame and possibly the battery). The store leader was the one who left a message and the operations manager (they were also the ones updating me with the calls and emails, not my SA) was who I talked to about what kind of damage had occurred. They gave me the option of waiting a few weeks for the car to be repaired vs. waiting to be assigned . Obviously, I opted for the latter. I asked to be given priority with being assigned a new VIN and they said they would try their best.

One week later, I finally see a new VIN assigned without any updates from anyone. A week after that, still crickets so I emailed the SL and OM again asking when I would be able to take delivery. Store leader emailed me back with when it would arrive to Raleigh and possible pick up dates. Delivery date gets set for 2 weeks after that. From order to delivery, it was a total 8 weeks. Communication is definitely lacking (more from my SA than others at that location) but I actually had no issues calling the location and being able to speak to someone each time. Maybe it's more difficult now as it is nearing the end of the quarter?

As for the delivery itself, I felt a little rushed as my SA was allowing time to go over the car but pushing for me to sign papers throughout that time. She told me any issues would be fixed later and showed me how to schedule a service appointment through the app. Also told me that I have 7 days to return the car if I wanted to. Luckily, I was able to get an appointment before the 7 days were up so that my issues could be addressed. After reading about all the fitment and color mismatch issues on this site, my delivery excitement was dampened by a good number of those issues. I accepted anyways as I've scoured on here as to what could be easily fixed and what couldn't. Attempted to have them fix rear bumper color mismatch (although I've already accepted living with this and also saw this on EVERY white MY on the lot) but they came back saying it was "within spec." The doors and hood were misaligned and there was kind of a gap with the trunk but all of this was fixed during the service appointment (these were the issues that ate at me and were dealbreakers). Luckily, my car was built after the new tail lights came out. I was exponentially happier after the service appointment and am really enjoying the car. Getting my front windows tinted, the bumper PPF'd, and the whole car ceramic coated now.

Sorry that was such a long post. If anyone wants details regarding the process at this Raleigh location, just ask or shoot me a message.

I picked up my MY (Pearl White/Black/Induction/NoFSD) from the Raleigh location a little more than a week ago. The only reason I knew who my SA (Gabriella) was, was by having test driven the car and she introduced herself to me then. Crickets after that until I got a text asking to schedule my delivery date. After doing so, my VIN showed up. From ordering to delivery date, it was about a month. I didn't hear anything up until the day before when I received a call saying the car was still in transit to Raleigh. They called and emailed the next 2 days as well to say it was delayed yet again. On the actual delivery date, my heart sinks after they inform me that my car was damaged in transit (whoever loaded or unloaded the car damaged the undercarriage and therefore the frame and possibly the battery). The store leader was the one who left a message and the operations manager (they were also the ones updating me with the calls and emails, not my SA) was who I talked to about what kind of damage had occurred. They gave me the option of waiting a few weeks for the car to be repaired vs. waiting to be assigned . Obviously, I opted for the latter. I asked to be given priority with being assigned a new VIN and they said they would try their best.

One week later, I finally see a new VIN assigned without any updates from anyone. A week after that, still crickets so I emailed the SL and OM again asking when I would be able to take delivery. Store leader emailed me back with when it would arrive to Raleigh and possible pick up dates. Delivery date gets set for 2 weeks after that. From order to delivery, it was a total 8 weeks. Communication is definitely lacking (more from my SA than others at that location) but I actually had no issues calling the location and being able to speak to someone each time. Maybe it's more difficult now as it is nearing the end of the quarter?

As for the delivery itself, I felt a little rushed as my SA was allowing time to go over the car but pushing for me to sign papers throughout that time. She told me any issues would be fixed later and showed me how to schedule a service appointment through the app. Also told me that I have 7 days to return the car if I wanted to. Luckily, I was able to get an appointment before the 7 days were up so that my issues could be addressed. After reading about all the fitment and color mismatch issues on this site, my delivery excitement was dampened by a good number of those issues. I accepted anyways as I've scoured on here as to what could be easily fixed and what couldn't. Attempted to have them fix rear bumper color mismatch (although I've already accepted living with this and also saw this on EVERY white MY on the lot) but they came back saying it was "within spec." The doors and hood were misaligned and there was kind of a gap with the trunk but all of this was fixed during the service appointment (these were the issues that ate at me and were dealbreakers). Luckily, my car was built after the new tail lights came out. I was exponentially happier after the service appointment and am really enjoying the car. Getting my front windows tinted, the bumper PPF'd, and the whole car ceramic coated now.

Sorry that was such a long post. If anyone wants details regarding the process at this Raleigh location, just ask or shoot me a message.
Your experience was very similar to what I saw my friend go through at that location. While we were looking over the car, the Tesla rep asked a few times if our friend was ready to sign. He also told us that he had another appointment soon, which I personally didn’t appreciate.

We were told to submit service tickets through the app, which excludes Tesla from making any promises of what they will/will not repair before you take ownership. It also discourages documentation of issues while the car is still on site, and allows customers to forget to document issues or exceed their return policy. Needless to say, I wasn’t a fan of the “just sign and we’ll tell you what we’ll fix later” approach.

We’ll be taking as much time as we need and finishing any service tickets before we drive off. But still missing a VIN for now. If you have a direct way to contact Tesla via email, I would appreciate the help.

You hear tales about lackluster customer service, but then there are also those whom have responsive SAs or receive a call from Tesla less than 2 minutes after a major collision was detected to see if you are ok.

Across the board, most reviewers I’ve read/watched seem to agree that the post delivery experience is where Tesla shines. I’ve heard very few people say that the car wasn’t worth it.

Eh, as someone who is already an owner besides the Y i had on order, post delivery experience is no better (or different) than pre-delivery service wise.

Car is great, but any type of interaction with tesla that requires a person is pretty poor.

I must be lucky as I can text my advisor and she responds pretty quickly. She has been great throughout the process which I started as a M3 order in the spring with requested delayed delivery until September. I then changed to a MY on 8/26 and her last text indicated that no VIN has been assigned but her best guess is for delivery around the end of next week.

My experience was similar. Felt rushed during the inspection process. My SA wasn't pushy though. But it was still annoying to hear that is just Tesla or it's within spec.
Honestly, it seems you're pretty lucky you're even able to inspect. Here in the Bay Area they're locking that down. Home Delivery for most (where you must pre-accept: no inspection at all), some with pickup selected forced to home delivery, and changes to pickups where you must accept to look at the car. It's crazy.

Honestly, it seems you're pretty lucky you're even able to inspect. Here in the Bay Area they're locking that down. Home Delivery for most (where you must pre-accept: no inspection at all), some with pickup selected forced to home delivery, and changes to pickups where you must accept to look at the car. It's crazy.
Telling customers to accept a car unseen? That’s shameful. I would not feel comfortable with that in the slightest given their QC issues.