Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Long-ish time Tesla fan here. Had a Model S that I traded in for a 2018 performance Model 3. I’m looking to switch back to the refresh Model S but have some concerns about the delivery experience after a less than stellar Model 3 delivery. I won’t go into those details but needless to say I regret not rejecting that vehicle.

Given that the 7 day return policy is no more, what can I expect at pickup in terms of being able to examine the exterior, interior, or even test drive before accepting delivery?

I don't know about test drive, maybe they will let you, but I did over an hour going over most everything, including testing hvac. Windows. Doors. Switches. Panel alignment, paint, lights, etc. Don't accept delivery unless the car and written dealer promises make it all ok for you.

My recent (December) delivery experience was pain free. I did notice an error with the driver repeater camera, and scheduled a technician to come out to fix it. Service center was perfect during the process, allowed me time to go over the vehicle before signing any documents. Was there to answer questions when I was done.

Of course, different delivery centers have different people (and different volume of people they serve). Mine, being Hawaii, is the only one for us, and also only for Hawaii, so it's a little more personal.

I demanded to test-drive the car before paying for it, and I guess Tesla figured they couldn't sell the damn car a few days before the year was over, and finally let me drive it. But man, it's unbelievable how arrogant Tesla is, basically having to beg, and/or threaten to cancel the sale, just for that. They let me drive a new model S Performance in Austin all by ourselves with no questions asked, and couldn't let us test-drive the car I was going to buy for a few miles, to make sure all was well? Confusing.

But did you ultimately test drive the cars you bought before signing? That's my concern. What I gather is Tesla is inconsistent on this point but will capitulate if you threaten to walk alway, which is just a suboptimal solution all around.

Yeah but if this is your concern (and it probably should be), I'd say just wait until test drives can be completed. No need to rush into an $80,000 purchase with barely any info about changes to the car or without being able to test one. Everything sounds good on paper, but who knows really.

I took delivery of a 2018 MS75D in November ‘18 in Orlando, beautiful experience...

I upgraded to a 2020 MXP in September 2020 in Jacksonville, horrible experience...
nd endured constant problems with the vehicle since..

Is Tesla having growing pains, or is this just a sign of their no contact approach to sales/delivery as a pitfall long term?

I feel like they do not understand a 100k plus buyer of vehicles? If I purchase ANY other make, 100k plus, like my wife’s new 2021 Escalade, you are treated like gold, Tesla, you might as well be another window shopper?

Just my .02c, but anyone else experience the same?

Tesla kept telling me buy it now, because we will sell your car to someone else if you don't buy it. I just took it all as uncaring employees who have no incentive to help with any issues. Trudge on thru if you want to buy, because they will sell it to someone else.