Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery gone bad - M3 has some issues : ( Need advice for what to do.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish I had rejected my M3 delivered on Saturday. I have been sufficiently warned on this forum about fit and finish issues and how I can reject delivery, but yet we took delivery of the car anyways (it was also home delivered.)

The issues were: trim alignment (very obvious), a tiny bump (very hard to see) in the paint, and some crease on the fabric in the headliner (also very hard to see), and the door handles are not super flushed with the door (not visible from afar, but you can feel it)... Other than the door trim alignment, we didn't see any obvious defects like in OP's post.

The delivery guy was very nice & patient. He didn't try to wave off the issues as normal. He explained that all these issues can be fixed by the mobile tech, or at the service center. He uploaded the pictures of the trim alignment and the paint issue. He told me to send in through the phone app any other issues found within 3 days.

We have busy schedules like any other parents, and we really need the car as the old car is acting up, so we decided to take it and then deal with the cosmetic issues. We drove it around afterwards to check for any other drivetrain or wind noise / door seal issues, but so far driving experience was just amazing.

In hindsight, though, I am now wondering if it's just easier to refuse delivery and let them deal with the issues, rather than *me* dealing with the service. It's all too late now!
Dealing with mobile service for minor stuff you’re describing will be easier than dealing with getting a rematch and dealing with all of that drama IMO. (Who says the second car will be perfect?)

if it can be fixed by mobile I see zero reason to refuse delivery.

I wish I had rejected my M3 delivered on Saturday. I have been sufficiently warned on this forum about fit and finish issues and how I can reject delivery, but yet we took delivery of the car anyways (it was also home delivered.)

The issues were: trim alignment (very obvious), a tiny bump (very hard to see) in the paint, and some crease on the fabric in the headliner (also very hard to see), and the door handles are not super flushed with the door (not visible from afar, but you can feel it)... Other than the door trim alignment, we didn't see any obvious defects like in OP's post.

The delivery guy was very nice & patient. He didn't try to wave off the issues as normal. He explained that all these issues can be fixed by the mobile tech, or at the service center. He uploaded the pictures of the trim alignment and the paint issue. He told me to send in through the phone app any other issues found within 3 days.

We have busy schedules like any other parents, and we really need the car as the old car is acting up, so we decided to take it and then deal with the cosmetic issues. We drove it around afterwards to check for any other drivetrain or wind noise / door seal issues, but so far driving experience was just amazing.

In hindsight, though, I am now wondering if it's just easier to refuse delivery and let them deal with the issues, rather than *me* dealing with the service. It's all too late now!
You made the right decision to accept and have them fix your very minor issues later. I'm not sure you would ever get a vehicle from Tesla that was 100% perfect. Enjoy!

Its just a car, metal, plastic and fabric. everything can be fixed.

We have two young kids, full-time jobs and a busy schedule. I don't have time or energy to deal with things being fixed (or counting on them being fixed)- hence why we wanted a new car and not a used one which would have acceptable imperfections like these. And why we sold our old car which was having issues. This is suppose to be a new car - a 40k+ one at that. If I want to re-sell the car with the paint issue in the back - well, I lose money. Have you ever seen a car with paint issues/flaws …and what happens to them 5 years down the road? It’s not good.

The fact that they sent it out with defects and imperfections and wasted our time (my husband left work early which is huge in his line of work) is extremely frustrating and unprofessional. Someone on another post described the Tesla delivery as a “cheesy and chong delivery experience” and that’s exactly how I feel.

We did not sign papers yesterday - they noted everything and said they would return the car today with the items fixed. It was suppose to arrive at 4 pm from Fremont. I got a text at 1 pm that said it was delayed and to expect the car to be delivered between 6-8. The delivery gal called at 5 pm and said she would be here at 6 pm. I asked if it was the same car and she asked for the VIN number and she said it is the same car.

I asked if she could make sure the paint issue was fixed. She sent a photo and it was not. She noticed it too and texted me a photo to confirm it was the same issue. She said “your car should be getting back from service in just a few minutes. When it does, I’ll check it out and then call you”.

It’s dark now here and I’m at a loss.

Do we take delivery so we can get the “two-free years of supercharging if delivered before oct 1st” and possibly return if we have to in a week or 1k miles?

Or do we say no and have to rent another car again when my husband returns to work on Wednesday as we sold our other car. And go find another vehicle. Possible at a Tesla dealership where I can actually inspect multiple vehicles - even if I'm paying a little more.

Do we take delivery so we can get the “two-free years of supercharging if delivered before oct 1st” and possibly return if we have to in a week or 1k miles?

Or do we say no and have to rent another car again when my husband returns to work on Wednesday as we sold our other car. And go find another vehicle. Possible at a Tesla dealership where I can actually inspect multiple vehicles - even if I'm paying a little more.

If I were you, and if you can bare without a car (hmm... why did you sell it so early?) I wouldn't take delivery...

I took delivery with issues... Next appointment to fix my issues is 2 Mondays from now, so I still have to take time off to drop off the car...

Maybe if they give me a loaner like other luxury car dealers, then it will work out... drive another Tesla till they fix mine to my satisfaction.

2-year SC is really no big deal as some said on this forum, unless you go long road trips so often that you depend on SC. Charging at home is more convenient and better for the battery (so I heard).

I think M3 inventory is very low in the bay area so I doubt you can just walk in to a Tesla center and pick out the car you want like in a traditional dealership.

In any case, hope they deliver the car in good condition to you soon. Good luck!

Not sure exactly what your paint issues are but that is the only thing I would care about. Interior stuff is all fixable. Paint as well but having Tesla fix paint defects after delivery can and does go terribly wrong at times so paint issues not able to be resolved by a detailer I would not accept delivery of.

Paint Issues are really minor.... See if you can see them?

M3 paint pimple.jpg

M3 paint smudge.jpg

But the door / chrome trim alignment is horrendous:

M3 door trim misalign.jpg

that’s about 30 seconds of adjustment. Very minor - just ask the SC and they’ll knock it out.

Thanks good to know!

Tesla QC at work, that alignment is indeed horrendous.

The delivery guy said - "oops I didn't notice that"... I'm like com'on... that's the first thing I notice from 20 feet away.
I guess it's so BAD that they HAVE TO fix it and cannot call it normal.

If I were you, and if you can bare without a car (hmm... why did you sell it so early?) I wouldn't take delivery...

I took delivery with issues... Next appointment to fix my issues is 2 Mondays from now, so I still have to take time off to drop off the car...

Maybe if they give me a loaner like other luxury car dealers, then it will work out... drive another Tesla till they fix mine to my satisfaction.

2-year SC is really no big deal as some said on this forum, unless you go long road trips so often that you depend on SC. Charging at home is more convenient and better for the battery (so I heard).

I think M3 inventory is very low in the bay area so I doubt you can just walk in to a Tesla center and pick out the car you want like in a traditional dealership.

In any case, hope they deliver the car in good condition to you soon. Good luck!
____

We had to get rid of our second car as the transmission was failing and didn't want it to totally die (if we kept driving it until we got the new car) and then we would get nothing for it. So we sold it to CarMax for 10k and just rented a car when my husband was using our other car to commute and while we waited for the M3.

Here is the conclusion to our story- The car arrived at 8:10 pm by the intern. They had actually buffed out the dirt spec very nicely - I was really surprised. They also replaced the piece on the back console that was scratched and chipped. However, the chip on the interior of the door still had the little marker on it and was not repaired. And one other paint area below the door was not even marked or repaired.

I was satisfied with the two main items that were fixed so we accepted the car and figured I can just deal with the other two when I have time. It's not a huge deal since its not on an area you can notice - I just don't want it to continue chipping. But I figure something this small will be on most of the M3's. I went into the Dublin, Ca store today to get a nema adapter and looked at the m3 they had on display. It also had minor imperfections where mine were.

We love the car and already want an X or a Y haha I'm glad that I'm aware of the somewhat odd delivery process. I was also kind of bummed they brought the car with only 62 miles left of the charge. So I'll be more prepared next time for what to expect. I think it had a lot to do with it being the end of the quarter - as I said, the Tesla Fremont showroom was SWAMPED and they were trying to get all of these cars delivered by Oct 1.

Each person who came to deliver the cars were interns (the one last night was a college student from Cal). They didn't really seem to know much of what was going on - weren't able to answer some of my questions. The girl was really quiet and did not explain any of the paperwork - just sign in the highlighted areas.

The intern who brought the car the first time said he was from a different department and usually didn't deliver cars but they're overwhelmed with deliveries.

Anyway, thanks for your help, advice and messages. Much appreciated.

Reactions: dchobo and VT_EE

That's crazy. I'm so sorry...
These cars are such amazing 'machines' but my god, the customer service and attention to detail (on the car itself) is laughable.

@espn22 - Glad it worked out for you!

We noticed another 2 issues with the door rubber seals today.... sigh.

Now we're actually mulling returning the car.

I wouldn't recommend that over those rubber flaps. They straighten themselves over time - really, really minor cosmetic issue. Send a pic, but if it is what we think it is, it's definitely not worth returning the vehicle over.

Reactions: dchobo