Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery headache caused my Dad to cancel...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had been trying gently to nudge my Dad into trying out a Tesla for a while now (also really wanted to get the May bonus referral credit) and after trying out a Model 3 for a day when in Hawaii last week, he made the plunge and ordered one!

He called me today and told me he had to cancel it :( He lives in East Tennessee and said that delivery wouldn't come to his house, and the car would have to go through both Georgia and Tennessee and therefore required paying taxes from both states. Additionally there was no mobile service in any nearby city (closest major city would be Knoxville), and would require taking the car to either Nashville or Atlanta for service.

I knew I had it pretty good owning a Tesla in Southern California, but it's really disappointing to hear that the delivery infrastructure is so bad in other parts of the country and that it prevented my dad from getting to experience owning one. Pretty bummed that it worked out this way.

Anyone else experienced similar?

and the car would have to go through both Georgia and Tennessee and therefore required paying taxes from both states. A

I'm confident this isn't true. I would guess your dad misheard this part as that's not how sales taxes work.

Mobile service availability is a good question. I would want that support around before I'd be comfortable. My closest SC is about an hour away, but I do have access to mobile service locally and for me that makes all the difference.

According to Tesla's website:
upload_2019-5-21_15-17-52.png

Reactions: Sherlo
That's really interesting, I didn't dig for the details but he said they wouldn't deliver it to him so he'd have to get it delivered in Georgia or something like that. I'm sure I'll get the full story later, but I agree I don't see Tennessee on that list. I wonder if something has changed?

That's really interesting, I didn't dig for the details but he said they wouldn't deliver it to him so he'd have to get it delivered in Georgia or something like that. I'm sure I'll get the full story later, but I agree I don't see Tennessee on that list. I wonder if something has changed?
I’m in Tennessee and will be picking up at SC in Brentwood (Nashville).

Reactions: Brando