Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery in June/July?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I've just placed a order for a M3 through leasing/salary sacrifice and I'm being told delivery will take place June/July!? Is this right?
I've never had a brand new car so not sure if this is normal but of true then the wait will be difficult for a impatient bloke like me.

Yep. I can't remember why, but after Q1, deliveries to UK (and EU?) won't start again until June.
its the dumb quarterly cycle. all output at the end of the quarter stays in North America so it can be delivered at the end of the quarter for the financial results. Nothing will be put on a boat during late Feb/March so nothing will arrive in the UK during April or early May. So if you miss delivery in March. Which you will have now unless you can find an inventory car then they next time you are likely to get a car is late May but more likely June. Just the way it is until GF 3 in Germany is complete.
So sadly now is about the worst time in the quarter to order for delivery time. Someone ordering in late April may well still be quoted June and get there car a week after you did even though they ordered 8 weeks later. Of course the new BIK rules may change all that if there is a surge in orders April orders could be September....

Last edited:
I've just placed a order for a M3 through leasing/salary sacrifice

Probably too late, but it seems to work better [if an option for you] if you make the order, and then pass the "reservation number" to the leasing company.

Plenty of stories of Leasing companies taking far too long to get around to crystallising the order, and then not giving you the RN ... and without that you have no means of asking Tesla when the RN will become a delivery.

You have to pay the deposit though ... which is refunded on purchase.

If you ordered a month, or more, before that, didn't pick any rare options combinations, and choose a handover location that processes a lot of cars ... and are not leasing ... then fair chance of delivery by that date.

We ordered on 21/02, got the hidden VIN 25/02 and our SC confirmed the car has been built and is sat in Fremont ready to be shipped. It’s a performance in black with white interior. No FSD and not through a leasing company, what do you think the likelihood is?

I'm no expert but "white interior" is the only likely snag that I can see. That has sometimes been somewhat restricted ... but if other folk with White interior are getting promises too then I reckon you are good.

Personally I would have zero faith in any report of where the car is. If it is genuinely supposed to be sat in Freemont then I very much doubt it is your car. Tesla won't be able to get it to UK before end of March quarter end, and won't want to have it on the high seas unsold bridging the end of a quarter. A car sat at Freemont today ought to be for the local USA market so it gets converted to cash by end of March.

Be interest to hear other people's' views though

Also whether folk think that, given your SC said you car was still in Freemont, whether it is worth keeping an eye on Inventory and if you see something suitable buying that - and then cancelling your order.

• Informative
Reactions: Harv3y
I'm no expert but "white interior" is the only likely snag that I can see. That has sometimes been somewhat restricted ... but if other folk with White interior are getting promises too then I reckon you are good.

Personally I would have zero faith in any report of where the car is. If it is genuinely supposed to be sat in Freemont then I very much doubt it is your car. Tesla won't be able to get it to UK before end of March quarter end, and won't want to have it on the high seas unsold bridging the end of a quarter. A car sat at Freemont today ought to be for the local USA market so it gets converted to cash by end of March.

Be interest to hear other people's' views though

Also whether folk think that, given your SC said you car was still in Freemont, whether it is worth keeping an eye on Inventory and if you see something suitable buying that - and then cancelling your order.

Thank you very much for the info! We aren't 100% ready yet as we need to get wall chargers installed, but it is always nice to know where the car is and how far away the delivery date will be, and i'm rather impatient! Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like June it is for me.

Ive just received a confirmation email from the leasing company letting me know the order has been placed (also got a email from tesla). They (the leasing company) state delivery will be mid June.

I would expect delivery before 31 Mar.
Don't worry about not having a wall charger straight away.
That would be great, when I called them today they said it was built but sat in Fremont, so I’d expect it to not be on any ships currently sailing! (If that is my car). Are there any more ships sailing this quarter or is it likely to be on a ship currently sailing? I know you’re the expert on shipping!

That would be great, when I called them today they said it was built but sat in Fremont, so I’d expect it to not be on any ships currently sailing! (If that is my car). Are there any more ships sailing this quarter or is it likely to be on a ship currently sailing? I know you’re the expert on shipping!

If it is in Fremont now then there is little chance of delivery until May or even June.
Unless it is transported by road to Philadelphia and promptly shipped from there to Southampton.
In the past this has been done (Sep 2019 HOEGH OSLO) but there have been lots of photos on the net of the fleet of car transporters crossing the States with RHD cars.
I haven't seen any such photos recently but there is still a week or so before that can be ruled out.
I'm interested to be kept up to date with any updates to your delivery.
Give Tesla a call next week.

If it is in Fremont now then there is little chance of delivery until May or even June.
Unless it is transported by road to Philadelphia and promptly shipped from there to Southampton.
In the past this has been done (Sep 2019 HOEGH OSLO) but there have been lots of photos on the net of the fleet of car transporters crossing the States with RHD cars.
I haven't seen any such photos recently but there is still a week or so before that can be ruled out.
I'm interested to be kept up to date with any updates to your delivery.
Give Tesla a call next week.
Thank you for the information, I’ll keep everyone updated on what’s going on! Thanks.

they said it was built but sat in Fremont, so I’d expect it to not be on any ships currently sailing

based on past history the stuff they told you is very improbable. Tesla don't let (or more likely can't afford!) cars sit around at the end of a quarter. After the last boat sales, in time to sell the cars in the EU by end of quarter, they stop sending any more over and start shipping from factory to Canada and USA. Before Christmas they put a tent up on the dock in Holland and delivered to customers straight from there! (Cars are charged on the dockside, after arrival from USA, so all they get going via the service centre is a wash ... the windows were still wet on mine when i picked it up, it had been on a transporter 30 minutes before ...)

Plenty of previous of Tesla folk making stuff up. Its a pity, and would be much better if they said "I don't know" or "I will find out", so I'm afraid your car could be anywhere ... the fact that you have got a hidden-VIN is normally a very good sign of it being imminent.

If car arrives, and you don't have wallcharger, then if you can only charge off 13 AMP plug you will get about 9 MPH, so that may be enough to tide you over (if you can use public chargers / Supercharger ... or @ work?? for any longer trips).

A Better Route Planner useful for trying out your common longer distance routes. Set up the make / model, and then choose starting battery %age and e.g. Temperature / Wind to simulate Winter / worst case, and see where it suggests you could "refuel" and how long it would take.

I don't remember what the requirements are for "proof of ownership" for the OLEV grant, or you could consider a non-OLEV wall charger. The OLEV process itself seems to add-on some cost, so sometimes non-OLEV can work out not a lot more (particularly if long / difficult wiring involved), and may have other benefits, but maybe you could be getting on with that soonish? Is your main fuse big enough, or might that need upgrading? Stuff like that can introduce delay too ...

• Love
I think it would be unusual for you to have been matched to a car already built, that is now going to be sat in the dock for 2+ months.

More likely I would say is that you’ve been matched to a car already on one of the ships in transit, particularly as you got a hidden VIN so quickly.

I wouldn’t read too much into being told it’s at the dock. I was told the same and when I spoke to someone else they told me what boat my car was on.

• Informative