Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Inspection Item - Sticker Residue on Dashboard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla service on the phone had me wipe mine with a Clorox wipe. I am pretty sure that method scratched my dash. A Tesla Service Ranger is coming to look at it Friday. They said they would try to clean it, and if not they will order a part, the guy on the phone said today. It looks like it took some of the coating off the dash.
20180312_104225.jpg

20180311_135613.jpg

Tesla service on the phone had me wipe mine with a Clorox wipe. I am pretty sure that method scratched my dash. A Tesla Service Ranger is coming to look at it Friday. They said they would try to clean it, and if not they will order a part, the guy on the phone said today. It looks like it took some of the coating off the dash. View attachment 286051

View attachment 286052
Whew, I'm glad it was Tesla that told you to do that. Doesn't look like something they're going to be able to clean. Please let us know how it plays out.

Gut tells me that there's some residue on the dash when it comes off the production line, and it's actually a discoloration of the residue due to differing sunlight exposure that is causing the issue. Then the dash gets gently cleaned the residue of varying shades gets removed and the markings disappear. I expect it's not a discoloration of the dash itself, as obviously it's a material designed to be exposed to sunlight. If that speculation is true, the real risk is in damaging the dash when removing the residue more than anything.

In this case it's probably best to have Tesla take care of it on a new vehicle. But otherwise I try not to use any harsh chemicals like bleach when cleaning the interiors of my vehicles. I've had good luck with Lexol products, something like this might do the trick: Multi-Surface Cleaner | Lexol

They replaced my entire dash cover the first time. The second time they were able to clean it with a clorox wipe.

They were gracious about the whole thing, handled it quickly and professionally, and definitely did not make a "stink" about it at all!
Andrew, do you know how involved replacing the dash cover was? Do they have to take apart the whole dash, or does it just pop off pretty easily?

Any insight would be great. I have a feeling mine is going to have to be replaced.

Brian

Andrew, do you know how involved replacing the dash cover was? Do they have to take apart the whole dash, or does it just pop off pretty easily?

Any insight would be great. I have a feeling mine is going to have to be replaced.

Brian

I have absolutely no idea, sorry. They just told me they replaced it...we didn't discuss the specifics of what that involved.

Update: Tesla Attempted to clean the dash. It did not come out. They are going to replace the top dash pad. Should have an another update in a few hours, when they call to schedule that. BTW Tesla Service Techs are awesome. They came to my work and everything.

I was at the Portland service center for another matter and I showed my DS (looks similar to other’s pictures). He took it back into the detailing bay and they used diluted McGuire’s cleaner which totally removed it. Seems like Tesla has seen this before... and they made it right while I waited.