Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery/Installation: Rear Facing Child Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Partially based on this post I just asked service when to expect the due bill items parcel shelf and rear child seats. They said parcel shelf will start arriving at the end of January 28th and the rear child seats at the end of February first for Signature then into General Production; still a little way out.

You have to figure that a *very* small percentage of people in the first few thousand cars ordered the Rear Facing Seats...maybe 10%, tops? Do we have any stats on this, maybe in the delivery spreadsheet? I hope this isn't too long of a wait, as my last eligible jump seat passenger continues to grow at an alarming rate, and won't be able to use these for long!

I received my jump seats yesterday when I picked up my Model S (even though I was told they would not be there). The techs at the store were pleasantly surprised and seemed very interested in them (I'm guessing they've seen so few that mine were somewhat of a novelty). Just wanted to let you all know that my oldest daughter, Age 11, is about 4'9" and about 72 pounds, which I believe is over what they recommend. It was tight-ish for her. My 9 year old daughter loves the jump seats and has no issue, but they both say they can't sleep back there. We had 5 adults and the two girls in the back tonight on the drive home and it was impressive. Though I don't think the girls would want to sit in the back for an extended drive, I think that it's fine for them now. And they LOVE LOVE LOVE showing off how they 'get in the back of daddy's car' to their friends (and then make their friends get in. A tip - be sure to hand them some wiping cloth as at least here in Seattle, they are prone to wiping the moisture off the glass which of course makes for great visibility back there.

I will post pictures of them in the back as I know I appreciated seeing pictures of what it would look like (as I knew my oldest was borderline too old for the jumpseats).
:smile:

Just received word that our kid seats arrived in the Seattle service center today! :smile:

We set up a service appointment to install the seats Thursday, January 31st. Kids should have a fun weekend testing out how the seats are.

So, those of yo who are having the, installed, do you have the same latches on the back of the rear passenger seats as pictured up thread?

Just by looking at the seat, I can't see any latches like the pictures. But once I start pressing around the back of the middle of the rear passenger seat, I feel the latches and the indentation where they will probably cut the leather and install some type of plastic edging and backing to make it look finished like the pictures upthread.

Once we get them installed, I'll know what the service center has to do to get the latches exposed and properly installed and I'll report back.

Last edited:
Just by looking at the seat, I can't see any latches like the pictures. But once I start pressing around the back of the middle of the rear passenger seat, I feel the latches and the indentation where they will probably cut the leather and install some type of plastic edging and backing to make it look finished like the pictures upthread.

Once we get them installed, I'll know what the service center has to do to get the latches exposed and properly installed and I'll report back.

Awesome! Thanks and looking forward to it. Also sorry for typos. Just started using Tapatalk today.

So my 3 year old can easily undue his belt buckle (i.e. The red button is too easy to push). His car seat, and all other car seats have required great strength to cause it to unlatch. I'm wondering what others have been experiencing. My wife and I are concerned, since we can't see him back there, if he is still buckled in. My plan is to let TM know and also to mount a mirror.

Thanks. I forgot about that thread. Great idea you had and I hope they can make it happen. Maybe it would be part of the child seat option.

Yeah, that would be a very nice option for those with little ones back there. For now I would just be happy to have the jump seats retrofitted. Chicago service hasn't heard anything about any of them heading in their direction. Patiently waiting but hoping I get them before end of February (planning a little road trip then and it would be great if we can the Model S, but need to sit 4 adults, 3 kids).

The kids really like the jump seats.
The buckles took a little getting used to - have to join the two sides before inserting into the latch. (as opposed to inserting one at a time like on regular car seats). Then the straps to cinch are by the hips.

IMG_3350.JPG

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3352.JPG

And yes, the kids can unbuckle themselves but they know they are supposed to be secured when the car is moving so it's not an issue.

All of the pictures I have seen so far have been from folks that have black leather interior. Will the color of the jump seats match your leather choice? I have tan leather and am not sure how the dark jump seats will match the rest of the appearance if there is only one color available.

All of the pictures I have seen so far have been from folks that have black leather interior. Will the color of the jump seats match your leather choice? I have tan leather and am not sure how the dark jump seats will match the rest of the appearance if there is only one color available.

Good point. I haven't ever seen any other option for the jump seats either.