Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery issue and loaner car policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I would greatly appreciate advice on this one.
I was scheduled to pick up my car a few days ago. Day before, delivery called up to say they found a crack in the windshield, so it had to be replaced. Am not too dissapointed, prefer them to find it than me!

But I had booked a trip to Ireland this weekend with the car to show my dad, who is more excited than I am. Tesla say they cannot find a loaner car to give me while the screen is replaced (which will take 1-2 weeks supposedly). So what was going to be a bit of an adventure is going to be a very boring trip in an ICE. (You know a trip is boring when the highlight is getting on a ferry).

I am rather surprised by this response from tesla, so now my question is what is tesla policy about loaner cars? As I am new to this, I don't know whether there are really no cars available, or if this is standard fare and they only provide cars to those who hassle enough? Should I roll with it, or ask again?

Hi all,
I would greatly appreciate advice on this one.
I was scheduled to pick up my car a few days ago. Day before, delivery called up to say they found a crack in the windshield, so it had to be replaced. Am not too dissapointed, prefer them to find it than me!

But I had booked a trip to Ireland this weekend with the car to show my dad, who is more excited than I am. Tesla say they cannot find a loaner car to give me while the screen is replaced (which will take 1-2 weeks supposedly). So what was going to be a bit of an adventure is going to be a very boring trip in an ICE. (You know a trip is boring when the highlight is getting on a ferry).

I am rather surprised by this response from tesla, so now my question is what is tesla policy about loaner cars? As I am new to this, I don't know whether there are really no cars available, or if this is standard fare and they only provide cars to those who hassle enough? Should I roll with it, or ask again?

Ask again. Tesla's loaner car policy is clear, they just don't seem to follow it reliably. Tesla has reaffirmed the policy and assured owners that we should get Tesla loaners except in rare circumstances. They've told us that they 'constantly monitor and forecast loads' so they can assure that Tesla loaners are available.

Here is the loaner car policy

Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

Here is a Telsa exec using these boards to reaffirm the written policy. Tesla service loaner policy

Hi All -- just a bit more clarification on some of your questions:
  • It's our intent to have Tesla loaners as the primary loaner in all of our service locations. No change here. We constantly monitor and forecast loads to make sure we have adequate loaners in place (this is new and getting better -- experiences from last March aren't representative).
  • During peaks (like winter tire changeovers), we may have to resort to rental cars. It pains us to do this, but helps keep our promise of a loaner to you. To ease this, we've worked with folks at Hertz, Avis, Sixt and Enterprise to add more Teslas to their fleets.
  • With nearly 20,000 committed Tesla employees globally, sometimes an individual may get a communication wrong -- just let us know and we'll correct (n=1 is not likely a trend).
Thanks @jeffro01 for quickly sending a PM and asking for the facts.

Happy holidays everyone and our best to you for a wonderful 2017,

Jon

Tesla say they cannot find a loaner car to give me while the screen is replaced

Kick up a fuss - they'll find one, may not be same model though ... I presume yours is an X, as they ought to be able to find a windscreen for an S, so maybe borrow an S instead of an X ?

to show my dad, who is more excited than I am

Beware: if you were planning to blow his socks off!, that loaners are limited to 80-ish MPH (might be 85). Not sure if acceleration is limited, its seemed OK on the ones I have had, but none of them were performance models and all were several years old (albeit with fewer miles on the clock than mine which I've had less than a year ...) so dunno if performance model loaners are limited at all (and I suppose that depends on whether the one you are buying, and were going to Demo to your Dad, is a performance model :) )

Good knowledge chaps thanks.
I've delayed the trip now anyhow.
In fairness, they did offer me a loaner ICE - said thats all they had. of course, thats pointless in the circumstances, I still have my VW golf.

But I am surprised with delivery and slow comms. 3 days into this issue, and no word on whether they can fix me up or not with anything Tesla as a loaner. Slightly ominous. Hope my car never needs maintenance!

Good knowledge chaps thanks.
I've delayed the trip now anyhow.
In fairness, they did offer me a loaner ICE - said thats all they had. of course, thats pointless in the circumstances, I still have my VW golf.

But I am surprised with delivery and slow comms. 3 days into this issue, and no word on whether they can fix me up or not with anything Tesla as a loaner. Slightly ominous. Hope my car never needs maintenance!

3 days seems like a long time to replace a windshield.

My experience with Tesla loaners is that the written policy and the statements from their executives means nothing. Getting a ICE rental car is the not a rare exception. ICE rentals are the primary vehicles at my SC and the SC will even tell you that.

Good luck and keep us posted on your windshield.

Yes in Europe at least they have to order the parts from Netherlands, so already you are +3 working days before you can start a repair. they gave no guarantees, but said it was possible but unlikely that the car woudl be ready this coming Saturday, i.e + 1 week from planned delivery and 8 days from when they noticed the problem. Feels like an early adopter/ramp-up problem, so thats OK in itself, you have to expect a bit of that.

Whats annoying is the number of people I've been through in Delivery: Ellie, Jessica, Rav, Georgia, Jo, and now Catherine.

No complaints about any of them - just the number! And now you are all thinking "yea, he's gotta be a tricky character if he's getting through them at that rate". but I've not been difficult (I think) - was dead nice about the cancelled delivery.
But kudos to Jo who had to call me with the bad news - she _could_ have gotten someone else to do the call.

maybe thats how they do it in the UK - you interact with a team rather than a person? Anyhow, I await catherine and a timetable for repair + a loaner for my trip.

That's also my understanding
Getting a ICE rental car is the not a rare exception. ICE rentals are the primary vehicles at my SC and the SC will even tell you that.
My X was booked in to Stockport and they gave me dates when a replacement car would be available. As this was a two week wait I assumed this meant I would get a Tesla. No, a stinky Mercedes smoker is what I've got, courtesy of Enterprise! Just hope I get my X back for the holiday weekend - and bloody well fixed! Faults are; boot lid won't close (intermittent), FWD doors both faulty (creaking/cracking noises), screenwasher not working on driver's side, and towball doesn't locate fully.

• Informative
Reactions: MS16
So!
Hot off the TESLA press is that there is very limited availability of windscreens, at least in UK, and it looks like Europe also, as Tilburg is not giving a committment to providing windscreens to (at least, my) delivery centre. It turns out that there has been bad batch of windscreens, or at least some form of QC problem like overtightnening, that has resulted in cracked screens. So they have used up their inventory of windscreens. And the problem with that is a 2 month wait while more screens are trained-shipped-trucked to UK.

Maybe I should put it into a different thread, I wonder whether any other MX deliveries have noticed the same, if its true, I should not be the only one.

... screenwasher not working on driver's side...

Not to hijack the thread, but you may find that the windshield washer is working as designed: in newer Model X the left wiper arm emits fluid only on the upstroke and only ahead of the advancing wiper arm, which means that it's removed by the blade as soon as it hits the glass. It looks uncannily as though it's not working.

So!
Hot off the TESLA press is that there is very limited availability of windscreens, at least in UK, and it looks like Europe also, as Tilburg is not giving a committment to providing windscreens to (at least, my) delivery centre. It turns out that there has been bad batch of windscreens, or at least some form of QC problem like overtightnening, that has resulted in cracked screens. So they have used up their inventory of windscreens. And the problem with that is a 2 month wait while more screens are trained-shipped-trucked to UK.

Maybe I should put it into a different thread, I wonder whether any other MX deliveries have noticed the same, if its true, I should not be the only one.

I wonder if the scarcity is related to the windshield ghosting issue?

UPDATE:
The delivery centre gave me their demo MS 75D to use until the MX gets fixed. So thats pretty nice of them given that it makes the sales bit somewhat harder for them if they are a demo car down.
Am loving my first rides in a Tesla, and looking forward to the road trip to Ireland next weekend. AP1 is amazing.

On the MX, delivery says lots of MX windshields breaking, inventory is 0 and so wait will be long. Has anyone else got this problem? They say its a systematic issue - not just my car - so am surprised its not mentioned on here anywhere.

UPDATE:

On the MX, delivery says lots of MX windshields breaking, inventory is 0 and so wait will be long. Has anyone else got this problem? They say its a systematic issue - not just my car - so am surprised its not mentioned on here anywhere.

There has been some mention of this on the Facebook group. No inventory at Tilburg either so the wait will be considerable.