Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery issue? Protrusion / bump behind rear bumper cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know what this could be? I took delivery on Saturday and saw that there was a bulge seemingly coming through the rear bumper.

If you push against the bumper cover, there’s some give and flex, except over this bump, where it’s rock solid. I asked the delivery advisor to add it to a due bill, but they wouldn’t provide me with anything in writing.

It’s more noticeable in person than in pictures. Reflections are distorted and uneven where the bump is. There are a few other minor defects too but I’m not OCD about them.

Have folks been generally satisfied with auto body work done by Tesla after delivery? I called service center and they say body repairs are handled by a third party. I’m concerned that Midnight Silver is hard to match.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20C0B4E5-2066-4DD2-966B-59C29F8CAEFE.jpeg
    20C0B4E5-2066-4DD2-966B-59C29F8CAEFE.jpeg
    659.8 KB · Views: 787
  • 3450EAD8-1442-401C-82AF-DA54E039B5DA.jpeg
    3450EAD8-1442-401C-82AF-DA54E039B5DA.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 682
No one is answering phones. Are we supposed to just show up and drop off the car? Hopefully they’ll provide a release of liability, documentation for loan termination, etc. I was excited to take delivery of the car, but so far this has been a frustrating experience.

No one is answering phones. Are we supposed to just show up and drop off the car? Hopefully they’ll provide a release of liability, documentation for loan termination, etc. I was excited to take delivery of the car, but so far this has been a frustrating experience.
I would just show up and address the issue before the 7 days period. SC might just take care of it right then and be done in a few hours. Several threads have talked about doors rubbing, bad body panel joints, ill fitting glass, etc. Many of these were corrected that day or within 24 hours. Often they get busy out front especially in the morning and don't get to the phones.
So again, YES, show up, get in their grills and make them address the problem...
Or get a car returned. BOOM o_O

Reactions: BulldogsRus
was something under there pushing it out?
Well crap. After seeing this thread, I checked my rear bumper and it also has the same issue as yours... perhaps just a little less of a protrusion than yours, but it's still there. You really have to be looking for it (and at just the proper angle) to even see/notice it. Of course, now that I've noticed it, it will always seem obvious to me.

I suspect/hope something simply got trapped between the plastic bumper and the curved metallic bumper bar/frame during assembly. The rear bumper panel is pretty easy to remove. Normally, I would simply remove it myself to check. However, I had PPF (paint protection film) applied to my entire vehicle, including the rear bumper. So, I am somewhat hesitant to remove the bumper, since it would require a little bit of pulling/flexing of the panel to unclip and remove it. I am concerned that pulling/flexing the bumper surface may cause part of the PPF to peel off.

Fortunately, my particular vehicle has a rectangular access panel that is located on the bottom side of the rear bumper. This access panel simply sides off, once you rotate a couple of plastic retainer clips. So, I am going to remove the access panel this evening, insert my phone/camera, and hope I can get a picture of whatever is caught between the bumper and the metal bar/frame. Will report back...

Well crap. After seeing this thread, I checked my rear bumper and it also has the same issue as yours... perhaps just a little less of a protrusion than yours, but it's still there. You really have to be looking for it (and at just the proper angle) to even see/notice it. Of course, now that I've noticed it, it will always seem obvious to me.

I suspect/hope something simply got trapped between the plastic bumper and the curved metallic bumper bar/frame during assembly. The rear bumper panel is pretty easy to remove. Normally, I would simply remove it myself to check. However, I had PPF (paint protection film) applied to my entire vehicle, including the rear bumper. So, I am somewhat hesitant to remove the bumper, since it would require a little bit of pulling/flexing of the panel to unclip and remove it. I am concerned that pulling/flexing the bumper surface may cause part of the PPF to peel off.

Fortunately, my particular vehicle has a rectangular access panel that is located on the bottom side of the rear bumper. This access panel simply sides off, once you rotate a couple of plastic retainer clips. So, I am going to remove the access panel this evening, insert my phone/camera, and hope I can get a picture of whatever is caught between the bumper and the metal bar/frame. Will report back...

Yeah its not that noticable on mine either but like you said after seeing it I cant unsee it. I scheduled an appointment with mobile service maybe they can remove the bumper and put it back. I'll report back after my appointment tomorrow,

Reactions: Kleenerth3
was something under there pushing it out?
I have no idea. I left my car at the local SC and they replaced the whole bumper without asking questions. At first, i thought they were going to send my bumper for bodywork (told by the mobile technician).

Im glad my ppf shop noticed the bump on the rear bumper. I wouldnt had noticed it. You really have to stick your eyes on the bumper to see it.

I have no idea. I left my car at the local SC and they replaced the whole bumper without asking questions. At first, i thought they were going to send my bumper for bodywork (told by the mobile technician).

Im glad my ppf shop noticed the bump on the rear bumper. I wouldnt had noticed it. You really have to stick your eyes on the bumper to see it.
Haha yeah my ppf shop saw it too. My concern is my car is pearl white and I’m afraid the new bumper won’t match.