Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery June 4, Initial Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my LR AWD Model 3 yesterday and here are my initial thoughts--

1- I have never owned a car before where I can't stop smiling over how happy it makes me to drive it and play with the functions. This is like getting a new toy! It is extremely quiet and very relaxing to drive.

2- There are some functions I can not figure out--my phone isn't charging, even out of the case. I thought my version came with wireless charging for 2 phones. The wiring behind the rubber pad is missing? I don't see any cables back there.

Also, my phone numbers/contacts and music are not uploading to the car although I can make calls through the car.

3- There is a HUGE gap when I open the trunk between the bumper and the rubber gasket. HUGE! I pointed it out to the delivery consultant and he said it was normal. I said NO WAY and he noted it for repair. Photo attached.

4- There was also a paint drip on the driver's door that they had already noticed before delivery and it will also be repaired.

5- 3 years ago I purchased an Audi. Although the technology pales in comparison to the Tesla, the delivery meeting was much more informational. I felt the Tesla meeting was rushed and that the consultant did not show me much. He did not show me the charging cables in the trunk, the tow hook, the owner's manuals, the cleaning cloth. He showed me the emergency flasher, how to set the seat and steering wheel. How to set up the door lock on my phone. He told me I could figure everything else out on my own. Now- I test drove one so I knew how to drive the car BUT if I just simply ordered one online, I would have had no idea how to drive it. This is a big purchase and should include about 1-2 hours of time when picking up the car to get all the kinks worked out.

6- I find that the warning system for lane changing sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I'm not sure why. I will have to test it more.

IMG_2527.jpeg

Welcome to the club!!

1. Yes, you won't stop smiling for quite a while
2. No, there is no wireless charging that comes standard, although they do now sell one through the store. Model 3 Wireless Phone Charger There are other after market ones available as well. I've got the Nomad and am very happy with it. However, you should have received charging cables with the car - unless they've stopped doing that for all trim levels.
3. If he noted it they'll take care of it.
4. See number 3 above
5. Yes, that has been a complaint by many. Your best bet is to read the manual, then read it again, then come here for any unanswered questions. But, always RTFM first. :D
6. Which one? Autopilot? Lane departure warning? Blind spot warning?

Read that they stopped supplying a pair of iPhone/Android phone cables recently on all new models. They need to be ordered from the Tesla online store now if needed. I guess some people are going the wireless route instead and a number of new owners wanted two of the same cable which meant you had to either buy one of what you needed or find someone to swap out with.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arpe and Pommie
Welcome to the club!!

1. Yes, you won't stop smiling for quite a while
2. No, there is no wireless charging that comes standard, although they do now sell one through the store. Model 3 Wireless Phone Charger There are other after market ones available as well. I've got the Nomad and am very happy with it. However, you should have received charging cables with the car - unless they've stopped doing that for all trim levels.
3. If he noted it they'll take care of it.
4. See number 3 above
5. Yes, that has been a complaint by many. Your best bet is to read the manual, then read it again, then come here for any unanswered questions. But, always RTFM first. :D
6. Which one? Autopilot? Lane departure warning? Blind spot warning?

Thank you!!!

2- I must have misread that about it being wireless. I will ask about the cables.
3/4- thanks. The gap is really bad--I can't imagine delivering a car with that condition and I had to request a few times that he include it in something that needed to be fixed. He said it was normal.
5- Between youtube and google, I can find most solutions. Manuals honestly are a much slower source and not always as good as youtube and google. This forum is a wonderful source of info and has already helped me a ton!!
6- I was not using autopilot. Changing lanes with blinker--must be blind spot warning. I will double check and make sure I didn't disable it. Another note on that while driving home last night, 2 kids on bikes crossed in front of me and although I had plenty of time to slow down, the car took over, warned me, and applied the brakes. I am not sure what function that would be as I did not have autopilot on nor cruise control. I have a lot more research and testing out to do to figure everything out. This is such a fun car to discover!!

5- Between youtube and google, I can find most solutions. Manuals honestly are a much slower source and not always as good as youtube and google. This forum is a wonderful source of info and has already helped me a ton!!

I find manuals to be the best starting point. It really doesn't take much time to read it and you can skip the parts that you already know. You can then augment it with Youtube and forums as necessary, but at least you'll get the basics from the first party source.

Reactions: Pommie
Congrats on your new Model 3! My wife and I took delivery of our new Model 3 at the Littleton service center yesterday also. My wife chatted with you for a minute and took your picture...small world. We are loving our car so far as well...enjoy your new toy!

View attachment 415891

Congrats to you and your wife as well!! What a beauty!!! Please thank your wife for taking my pic in the car. Enjoy your new toy too- I stayed up so late last night with one of my friends laughing at all the Easter eggs.

• Funny
Reactions: tongw
Dude I've had my car since February and it is still so fun and amazing to drive. I thought it'd wear off but NOPE! And showing the car to people that know nothing/very little about Tesla restarts the fun all over again.
I texted a lot of my friends after I picked it up yesterday and took 2 of them for a ride. I have NEVER done that with any of the cars I have owned before. We laughed and had such a blast!!! Glad to hear you are still enjoying it like it is brand new!!

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
How about a sharp photo of it somewhere in Colorado for us to see? Only have seen the trunk seal issue you posted above. Glad you are having fun with it and your friends. It’s hard not to show off and give a ride in. Even though the car gets in the news people still don’t really know much about it and fewer probably have had a ride in one if they haven’t been actively looking to buy. Keep in mind AP is still in beta and do read the manual and get familiar with the features. Lots of owner here to help with your questions.

How about a sharp photo of it somewhere in Colorado for us to see? Only have seen the trunk seal issue you posted above. Glad you are having fun with it and your friends. It’s hard not to show off and give a ride in. Even though the car gets in the news people still don’t really know much about it and fewer probably have had a ride in one if they haven’t been actively looking to buy. Keep in mind AP is still in beta and do read the manual and get familiar with the features. Lots of owner here to help with your questions.

The guy at the Tesla center told me a lot of the 3s have the trunk issue. It has been pouring rain here so no opportunity for a gorgeous photo ....yet. Hopefully will snap a few tomorrow!!! And will post!

Reactions: SMAlset
The guy at the Tesla center told me a lot of the 3s have the trunk issue. It has been pouring rain here so no opportunity for a gorgeous photo ....yet. Hopefully will snap a few tomorrow!!! And will post!

We definitely don't want you opening your trunk in the rain in that case! Also be careful when you do open your trunk if it's raining hard as water can run off your rear window and fly into your cargo area (thread and YT videos on this). The cargo mat I bought for my trunk will help catch any rain so it doesn't reach the carpeted area. Do check your car's trunk (and frunk) for water leaks especially in the lower compartment. I'll look at my trunk tomorrow but I don't recall seeing any gaps. Fortunately for us we might finally be done with rainy season but it's been helpful to check for any leaks.

5- 3 years ago I purchased an Audi. Although the technology pales in comparison to the Tesla, the delivery meeting was much more informational. I felt the Tesla meeting was rushed and that the consultant did not show me much. He did not show me the charging cables in the trunk, the tow hook, the owner's manuals, the cleaning cloth. He showed me the emergency flasher, how to set the seat and steering wheel. How to set up the door lock on my phone. He told me I could figure everything else out on my own. Now- I test drove one so I knew how to drive the car BUT if I just simply ordered one online, I would have had no idea how to drive it. This is a big purchase and should include about 1-2 hours of time when picking up the car to get all the kinks worked out.

I agree 100%. That is why there are Tesla Clubs. Each Tesla Club liaise between Tesla Motors and members who volunteer their time educating and answering questions to assist Tesla delivery advisers because it can get very busy and they don't always spend enough quality time with this. Depending on your area, there should be club members volunteering their time at the delivery centers and beyond that, they have meetings and social get togethers where you can attend for free and learn more about your new car and make new friends, share ideas, etc.

Re: the charging cables, they stopped giving them out on all models from what I heard yesterday. It's been that way for a few months now. If you really want them, you can DM your mailing address and I will send you mine. I got a Nomad wireless charging pad and it works great. I highly recommend it.

Re: #3 and #4, they will write you a due bill and you can take it back to them and they will make it right.

Enjoy your new ride!

Reactions: pdx3181 and Pommie
IMG_2538.jpeg

The famous Boulder flatirons. Enjoy!

• Love
Reactions: SMAlset and Zaxxon
I agree 100%. That is why there are Tesla Clubs. Each Tesla Club liaise between Tesla Motors and members who volunteer their time educating and answering questions to assist Tesla delivery advisers because it can get very busy and they don't always spend enough quality time with this. Depending on your area, there should be club members volunteering their time at the delivery centers and beyond that, they have meetings and social get togethers where you can attend for free and learn more about your new car and make new friends, share ideas, etc.

Re: the charging cables, they stopped giving them out on all models from what I heard yesterday. It's been that way for a few months now. If you really want them, you can DM your mailing address and I will send you mine. I got a Nomad wireless charging pad and it works great. I highly recommend it.

Re: #3 and #4, they will write you a due bill and you can take it back to them and they will make it right.

Enjoy your new ride!

Thanks! I researched and joined a local Tesla Club. Great advice!

Does your Nomad charge through an Otterbox? I also have a pop socket on my iPhone.

Yes they wrote a due bill for 3 and 4 and I already put in a service request for next week.

I picked up my LR AWD Model 3 yesterday and here are my initial thoughts--

1- I have never owned a car before where I can't stop smiling over how happy it makes me to drive it and play with the functions. This is like getting a new toy! It is extremely quiet and very relaxing to drive.

2- There are some functions I can not figure out--my phone isn't charging, even out of the case. I thought my version came with wireless charging for 2 phones. The wiring behind the rubber pad is missing? I don't see any cables back there.

Also, my phone numbers/contacts and music are not uploading to the car although I can make calls through the car.

3- There is a HUGE gap when I open the trunk between the bumper and the rubber gasket. HUGE! I pointed it out to the delivery consultant and he said it was normal. I said NO WAY and he noted it for repair. Photo attached.

4- There was also a paint drip on the driver's door that they had already noticed before delivery and it will also be repaired.

6- I find that the warning system for lane changing sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I'm not sure why. I will have to test it more.

View attachment 415817
The gap in your car’s bumper is not normal. The bracket for holding the bumper is faulty. Tesla will repair it, but it takes a long time to get the part. I’ve been waiting on mine for a few months.

The gap in your car’s bumper is not normal. The bracket for holding the bumper is faulty. Tesla will repair it, but it takes a long time to get the part. I’ve been waiting on mine for a few months.
Thank you so much. I knew it wasn't normal as I can flex the bumper easily with my knee. That makes sense that the bracket is faulty. That helps me a lot knowing that because I go in next week for the repairs--which I am guessing means they look at it and order the part. Really, really appreciate your replying!!!

Reactions: Jaywlker